Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,687,370 times

Advertisements

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Magician - Raymond Feist

It has to be REALLY special for me to put it as a top book, so even though I read voraciously, I don't have more than 2 or 3 TOP books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,402,736 times
The five best is like asking what's your five favorite tools. Best to do what?

The Bible and anything Shakespeare gave me everything I needed to know about people.

"The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith for economics and business. (If there was one "best" book, this would tie with The Bible.)

"Second Treatise of Government" by John Locke, "Leviathan" by Hobbes, "Democracy in America" by de Tocqueville for government.

"War and Peace" by Tolstoy to make me feel really insignificant. "Uncle Tom's Cabin" to break my heart and hate how evil people can be.

"Kama Sutra", "Pimp" by Iceberg Slim and a couple others that might not be appropriate to mention to develop my pimp walk.

"How to Dress the Man" (can't remember the author) to, you know, know how to match colors and such.

Too vague a question.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:26 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,417,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I have to stay away from this thread. It frustrates me to no end. I just don't seem to be able to think in terms of 5 best books I've read.

I see titles here, and agree, wholeheartedly, they are wonderful, superb, brilliant, but the best -- like in the best of the best? the best-est ever? There are so many titles out there that I've yet to read. How can I possibly say these five?

See my dilemma?

Let me introduce myself. My husband has begun calling me Mrs. Monk.

STILL struggling with this thread. Still Mrs. Monk, I guess.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,123,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
The five best is like asking what's your five favorite tools. Best to do what?

The Bible and anything Shakespeare gave me everything I needed to know about people.

"The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith for economics and business. (If there was one "best" book, this would tie with The Bible.)

"Second Treatise of Government" by John Locke, "Leviathan" by Hobbes, "Democracy in America" by de Tocqueville for government.

"War and Peace" by Tolstoy to make me feel really insignificant. "Uncle Tom's Cabin" to break my heart and hate how evil people can be.

"Kama Sutra", "Pimp" by Iceberg Slim and a couple others that might not be appropriate to mention to develop my pimp walk.

"How to Dress the Man" (can't remember the author) to, you know, know how to match colors and such.

Too vague a question.
Great List, One Thousand. Have you read Iceberg Slim's other book "Mama Black Widow"?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,402,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Great List, One Thousand. Have you read Iceberg Slim's other book "Mama Black Widow"?
LOL. No, it took me six months to eliminate the B-word from my vocabulary after reading Slim... but once I smoothed out the rough edges, I did pack a mighty game... until I was caught in the net of sweet love...

Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,123,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
LOL. No, it took me six months to eliminate the B-word from my vocabulary after reading Slim... but once I smoothed out the rough edges, I did pack a mighty game... until I was caught in the net of sweet love...
You're funny! If you are ever in the mood for a horror movie just read "Mama Black Widow".
What a nightmare! I'm glad you got all suave and in love.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,118,261 times
Quote:
Have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? When she has a baby, and is despairing on how to expand her child's horizons beyond the poverty of their life, the grandmother recommends reading every night... one page from the bible, one page from Shakespear!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 AM

28 posts, read 140,683 times
Default My 5

The Second Deadly Sin-Lawrence Sanders
Duma Key-Stphen King
Down River-John Hart
The Firm-John Grisham
The Last Picture Show-Larry McMurtrey

Old 05-25-2008, 12:53 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,054,540 times
Default Life-changing books --

Ahhhh.... thank you for asking! All of these substantially changed my perceptions, and so my life:

The Seat of The Soul, by Gary Zukav

The Celestine Prophecy, by James Redfield

Stalking The Wild Pendulum, by Itzhak Bentov

The Crack in The Cosmic Egg, by Joseph Chilton Pearce

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand

Children Of All Nations, a child's book, author unknown

Anne of Green Gables, Lucy M. Montgomery

Old 05-25-2008, 11:51 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,827,738 times
The Magus John Fowles
Plexus, Nexus, Sexus Henry Miller
The Catcher in the Rye Salinger
For Whom The Bell Tolls Hemingway
On The Road Jack Kerouack

Old stuff, I know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books