U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,850,657 times

Advertisements

Have you ever picked up a book that you knew nothing about--no reviews, no recommendations, no previous books by the same author--and found it to be wonderful?

Two come to mind for me: The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken and Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman.

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM

237 posts, read 1,009,011 times
Default I love reading!

I remember finding the author Emily Grayson by accident. I needed a book for an airplane trip, but (as usual) was running out of time to get everything done. I made a quick trip to the library and picked up Night Train to Lisbon. I'd never heard of this author before, but I read the entire thing in lightning speed. I couldn't put it down!

When I returned home I went to the used bookstore and bought everything she'd written, and read them all within a week - I especially enjoyed Waterloo Station. They're simple stories, but well written and poignant. Caution: Crying probable.

Another book that I happened to pick up by accident was Sentimental Journey by Jill Barnett. I had absolutely no idea what the book was about, but it was a hardcover edition and the cover was very intriguing/pretty - What can I say? Sometimes I'm shallow! The book spanned over a decade and was centered on the WWII time period. Jill Barnett writes the background of each of her five characters with moving detail, and finally brings the characters together seamlessly.

Oh, and another author that doesn't seem to get a lot of press is William Bernhardt. He writes legal thrillers a la John Grisham. When I read Blind Justice, the first novel he'd written, I couldn't stop laughing! Bernhardt has mastered the knack of weaving humor into thrilling legal stories. Ben Kincaid is one of my favorite characters of all time.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,591,277 times
Yes. The House of Sand and Fog. At the time, I had been reading so many detective type books, so this was different and unique. I've read so many detective books, I got burned out on them. I'll probably never read another one. There are so many out there though, so maybe I'll change my mind, in a few years.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,938,959 times
I can't remember which one it was, but I did stumble upon an Alice Hoffman book (with no prior knowledge of her at all) and have been following her ever since.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:42 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,043,221 times
One book I picked up that had me entranced (years ago) Was "Weaveworld" by Clive Barker.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,922,354 times
I literally stumbled over "Meetings with Remarkable Men" by George Gurdjieff (1963) while walking down the street. I bent down, picked it up and read all 300+ pages in one 24hr period. Gurdjieff, a philosopher, and religious man, writes of inspiring individuals he meets on a journey across the more remote parts of Asia & the Near East while on a personal soul-searching journey...by foot.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM

9,965 posts, read 22,196,395 times
One i really liked is "Firefly beach" by Luanne Rice.
Also "Seasons of her life" by Fern Michaels. Both very good. (keeper books)

Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 PM

11 posts, read 34,198 times
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It's a young readers novel and even though I'm 29, I am captivated by her writing style and have since gotten hooked on the series.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,585,578 times
I recently read The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue...I didn't read the back, and the title and cover art appealled to me. I loved it! When I was done and had been thinking about it, I know want to read it again, I see so many themes in it that I want to see deeper into it. I couldn't put it down, and I couldn't believe I cared so much about these charachters!, typically I need my books to be plausible and this definately was not!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,273,316 times
The one book that I really enjoyed that I stumbled on was "Watership Down". I picked it up at a bookstore and bought it thinking it was probably a war story about naval battles. I recall I was in a big hurry that day so I bought it and didn't look at it until I was headed out on a fishing trip. I took it with me in the boat and started reading while waiting for a fish to bite. I remember dropping anchor and reeling in the line so a stupid fish wouldn't require my attention. When it got too dark to read I pulled up anchor and finished it up by the light of a Coleman lantern. FANTASTIC story. I probably remember that book so well because I got the worst sunburn of my life and reading by lantern light must have attracted zillions of skeeters. At the time I didn't know because I was so enthralled with the story.

However as great as the book was the movie was horrible. I will never forget the movie either because just about the time I was ready to leave and demand my money back. . . the theater caught fire. So to me the book & the movie were memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or