Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

I have totally embraced e-books, but still like my magazines in the paper version. I like skipping around, I like the feel of the paper and the look of the photos and I even like the way they smell.

My favorite magazines are Vanity Fair (I can typically make one last all month long - starting at the celebrity Proust questionnaire at the back and working forward to the Mail Bag) and Garden and Gun (don't laugh - it is a wonderful, Southern magazine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 PM

243 posts, read 452,485 times
I like to hold on to my NatGeo's, so I do get them in print. It's nice to see the photos up close and to get the maps.

The others -- I'm done with them once I've read the articles or copied the recipes down, so I'm happy to read them on my computer for free through my library. It's more of a money saving thing, and as PNW mentioned, much greener as well if you plan on discarding them instead of collecting them.

I follow some magazines on Pinterest too, so I can just pin pictures or recipes if I want to visit them again later. Keeps my clutter levels down

Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I don't subscribe to any but I will buy magazines at my library for 10 cents each.

I love cooking magazines...Cooking Light and Taste of Home are top of the list.

I like Prevention and Reader's Digest.

Mother Earth News and Grit are also right up my alley.

My guilty pleasures
Woman's World
First
All You

Women's magazines are really funny. The stories and headlines never really change. Pick one up from the early 70's and the cover will still be...how to lose weight quickly, what to make for dinner, how to shop on a budget, family time and exercise, lol.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 AM

522 posts, read 715,343 times
I peek in,Oprah for good book recommendations that's it though.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
My single favorite magazine is probably Vanity Fair, which has a brilliant combination of Hollywood stories, oddball crime stories, political coverage, etc.

My second favorite is probably The New Yorker. I don't necessarily read all of it, but it's also brilliant in the range of subjects and quality of the writing. The cartoons have improved, too.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Yay, I love Vanity Fair too! I cite info from VF articles all the time.

I subscribe to 3 periodicals - VF, Entertainment Weekly and Smithsonian. Plus, since I'm a member of a variety of organizations, I get their periodicals as part of my membership: Minnesota History, and etc. I subscribed to Newsweek for decades until it went kaput as a print entity.

My treat when I go to the grocery store is to buy People. But I'm getting too old to know who they are writing about most of the time now - it's just a habit.

I gave my neighbor Cat Fancy as a thank you present, and she brings it over to me when she's done with it. Wish she wouldn't, as a lot of the articles depress me and I disapprove of breeders.

So, lots of recycling for me! Fortunately the local hockey team collects glossy mags to make money (from the recycling $??), so I take my piles down to the neighbors' garage for the team.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
I read a lot of magazines at the library and also when I am drinking coffee and eating fattening things at Barnes & Noble (one of my favorite things to do). I just can't afford to buy all of them. I love going through the glossy decorating magazines. I will also read The New Yorker, which is of course a fabulous magazine. I don't subscribe because it is a weekly, and I just don't have the space!

I had too many magazines lying around as it is. We live in a two-room apartment, and there were hundreds of magazines in here! We had magazines in the living room, bedroom, and the bathroom! I used to go to a dollar store that sold last month's magazines for only a dollar! Thank God they have stopped carrying them, because I would buy stacks of magazines!

My mother-in-law gives me her copies of People when she is finished reading them (she is a subscriber), and they are a guilty pleasure. At least I don't have to pay for them.

I recently did not renew my writing magazines -- Poets & Writers, Writer's Digest, and The Writer. I love them all, but basically all of the articles were about getting a literary agent or ways to improve your novel. It is basically the same article published over and over again. So I let the subscriptions lapse.

One magazine I love is called Bookmarks. It is a book review magazine and I really enjoy it. This is one magazine I do buy. I find it at B&N.

Bookmarks Magazine | Comprehensive Book Reviews and Coverage

Old 07-21-2013, 02:14 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
I like "Our State" magazine.
And "Faces and Places"
"AAA magazine"

The biggest circulating magazine when I worked in the library was "Good Housekeeping."

My husband reads "AARP" and "American Legion."

He also reads "Popular Science" and "Popular Mechanics."

Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
A couple of times in the past few months, a magazine at the library caught my eye with a cover story that I thought I'd check out. It was a nightmare. The table of contents is on like page 48, the title of the atricle bears no relationship to the blurb on the cover, if it could be found in the table of contents, there no pages in the magazine that actually have page numbers, and the article will be impossible to read because of the mishmash of sidebars and meaningless space-wasting illustrations with captions and half-page huge-font titillating colored quotes from the article, and interspersed full page ads, and continued on some later page that is also unpaginated and impossible to find.

In one case I took the maazine to the librarian at the desk, and she said "Oh, I read the article, I remember what it looks like", and she paged through the magazine for me until she recognized it.

I can't imagine there ever being an article in a magazine that is worth that much trouble, and I can assure you, those two that I read were definitely not. They read like some hack intern had stumbled across a couple of scraps of data, and extrapolated a whole article from them with a lot of conjectural repetition and a few direct quotes from somebody called on the phone in a PR office.

I think one of them was in one of the Popular Mechanics genre, and the other maybe in Forbes, which is famous for the most hateful on-line articles that are even more frustrating to read than the ones in print, when people keep links to their Top Ten features in various C-D forums..

I used to love Scientific American, that was a class experience just paging through it. Every illustration's caption was justified right, including the last line, like a perfect block 5 or 6 lines long, maybe even ten. If you didn't want to read the whole article, you could get the gist of it just by reading the captions. No article ever continued on a back page. Go to the library and get the old editions from the 50's-70's out of the stacks, and just wallow in them.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-23-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
I have stacks of magazines. Several car and motorcycle magazines that I subscribe to are so cheap I can't say no.

Every month from the library I get Money, Smart money, Mens Health, GQ, Esquire, Rolling Stone, Spin, National Geographic's Traveler and more than a dozen others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books