Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM

531 posts, read 501,343 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have been trying for years to identify a particular book from my childhood with no luck.

It was a non-fiction kids' activity book, and it was very broad in scope. It contained all sorts of info for do-it-yourself-projects, games, songs (including, I remember specifically, the lyrics to "the Titanic" children's song), historical trivia, bits of folklore, ghost stories, etc. all crammed into the pages with drawings and clip art. I remember it being pretty jam-packed with content. Probably aimed at ages 6-11.

The book itself had a white or off-white soft cover with some sort of illustration on it, and was a little larger, maybe 9" x 12" or so and had a few hundred pages (definitely thicker than a thin "coloring book" style activity book). I think all black and white inside.

For some reason, I have in my head that the book was called "Good Times" or something similar, but that could be completely wrong and may have led me astray in my searches. So take that bit of info with a grain of salt.

I had it in the late 70s and early 80s in SW Penna. It was likely published some time in the 1970s.

Ring a bell for anyone?

Last edited by John Dark; 07-15-2013 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: more details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Talking Highlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
Hi. I have been trying for years to identify a particular book from my childhood with no luck.

It was a non-fiction kids' activity book, and it was very broad in scope. It contained all sorts of info for do-it-yourself-projects, games, songs (including, I remember specifically, the lyrics to "the Titanic" children's song), historical trivia, bits of folklore, ghost stories, etc. all crammed into the pages with drawings and clip art. I remember it being pretty jam-packed with content. Probably aimed at ages 6-11.

The book itself had a white or off-white soft cover with some sort of illustration on it, and was a little larger, maybe 9" x 12" or so and had a few hundred pages (definitely thicker than a thin "coloring book" style activity book). I think all black and white inside.

For some reason, I have in my head that the book was called "Good Times" or something similar, but that could be completely wrong and may have led me astray in my searches. So take that bit of info with a grain of salt.

I had it in the late 70s and early 80s in SW Penna. It was likely published some time in the 1970s.

Ring a bell for anyone?
I used to read "Highlights" in the dentist and doctors office all the time.

It was yellow & white on the cover with kind of a wave design with a handwritten sort of font.

http://www.highlights.com/

Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I used to read "Highlights" in the dentist and doctors office all the time.

It was yellow & white on the cover with kind of a wave design with a handwritten sort of font.
I remember the "Highlights" magazine as with a mixed white and kind of light brown color wave design on its cover.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Highlights had two colors besides white. And the colors varied from month-to-month. I had a subscription for years, loved the Timbertoes.

I don't think the OP is talking about Highlights, though. Sounds like this was a single book rather than a periodical.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM

531 posts, read 501,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think the OP is talking about Highlights, though. Sounds like this was a single book rather than a periodical.
Yeah, I was very well acquainted with Highlights (my dad was a dentist). This was not a periodical.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Could it have been a boy scout book? When I was looking for the Titanic song, it kept showing up as a boy scout and girl scout song.

Nature Hobbies and Activities Reprinted from Boys' Life Magazine Boy Scouts 1971 | eBay

Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
I've always known it as a summer camp song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books