Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times

Advertisements

Hans Christian Andersen: Fairy Tales and Stories

Any Hans Christian Andersen fan here? His fairy tales and stories are perhaps some of my best memories of my childhood

THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL - HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN - YouTube

The Ugly Duckling(Modern Classics of Hans Christian Andersen) 3/3 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Absolutely!

I saw this movie in the theater in NYC when I was around 5 years old. My father bought me the 33 record or was it a 78?

As a result, I have been a fan of Andersen's stories nearly all my life.

Danny Kaye - Hans Christian Andersen - YouTube

Old 07-19-2013, 01:12 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,482 times
The records were 33LP. I had gotten a bunch one Christmas....Match Girl, Tin Soldier, Hansel and Gretel and more.

Last edited by Jrsygrl51; 07-19-2013 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I had a book of HCA fairy tales, so I liked them, although perhaps didn't fully understand them.

It's curious that you mention The Little Match Girl, which is essentially a tragedy about a child dying of cold (and hunger and neglect), which is not exactly what most Americans hope for in a fairy tale.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Sure I read them. My father was Danish, and grew up in Odense, Denmark. He rode his bike past HCA's childhood house every day.

I remember those stories, and the Danny Kaye movie, too.

I need to go back and re-read them. I love reading my favorite books from childhood!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
When I was in middle school I would read The Little Match Girl over and over and cry every time I read it. I'm sure it was just an emotional release for all of the pent-up adolescent angst and served some therapeutic purpose.

I loved many of the stories in my Hans Christian Andersen hardback anthology, but The Little Match Girl and Thumbelina were my favorites.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM

83 posts, read 149,172 times
Yes! Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales are wonderful, so imaginative and heartbreaking, they have charm and irony and sometimes wisdom. Who could forget such timeless classics as the Emperor's new Clothes, the Ugly Duckling or the Princess on the Pea. I have to re-read them again!

As a child however, I did not really enjoy these tales. They are not as straight-forward as the Grimm Brother's fairy tales, but darker and more complex. I did not understand them and found them sometimes chilling and unsettling. Like the story of the Snow Queen where Gerda found Kai almost frozen to death in the middle of a lake of splintered ice. Or the story of the Wild Swans, where the princesses has to weave eleven coats out of a poisonous nettle until her fingers are blistered, to turn her brothers back into human shape - but before she succeeds, she is almost burned as a witch. Spooky stuff for a child's imagination - well, at least back then when we didn't have all those movies yet...

Did these stories not sometimes scare you as a child, lillyflower?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha.M View Post
Yes! Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales are wonderful, so imaginative and heartbreaking, they have charm and irony and sometimes wisdom. Who could forget such timeless classics as the Emperor's new Clothes, the Ugly Duckling or the Princess on the Pea. I have to re-read them again!

As a child however, I did not really enjoy these tales. They are not as straight-forward as the Grimm Brother's fairy tales, but darker and more complex. I did not understand them and found them sometimes chilling and unsettling. Like the story of the Snow Queen where Gerda found Kai almost frozen to death in the middle of a lake of splintered ice. Or the story of the Wild Swans, where the princesses has to weave eleven coats out of a poisonous nettle until her fingers are blistered, to turn her brothers back into human shape - but before she succeeds, she is almost burned as a witch. Spooky stuff for a child's imagination - well, at least back then when we didn't have all those movies yet...

Did these stories not sometimes scare you as a child, lillyflower?
sometimes. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books