Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They are available on Amazon's website though, to download and/or print.

I can't say I agree, I found them very intuitive and didn't need the instructions. Never had any of the problems you described either - maybe your Kindle needs a hard reboot or firmware update. You can always contact Kindle customer support and see if they have any resolutions.
I had no trouble at all learning to use the Kindle Touch, but I bought the previous model for a friend and had trouble navigating and creating the folders, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I had no trouble at all learning to use the Kindle Touch, but I bought the previous model for a friend and had trouble navigating and creating the folders, etc.
Yeah, the non-touch screens aren't quite as intuitive.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Quote:
Dale's collection didn't disappear, it was on his Amazon account.

I often take long flights and sometimes I've been in the middle of a 1,000 page hardback book which I didn't want to leave at home. Weighed a ton. I don't always know what I'll be in the mood to read when I travel, so I've got many choices with my kindle.

Every try to fit a big book in the seatback pocket on a plane? Kindle fits.

My husband gets his newspaper automatically downloaded to his Kindle every morning, no matter what country he is in.

I like a bigger font now, not as big as large print books, but bigger than normal ones. I can do that on Kindle, not with a paper book.

Since I'm 60+ I travel all over Scotland on the bus for free. That means lots of shorts trips where we stay a couple of days. Lots of time on the bus to read. Packing needs to be light. Kindle.
I can understand you using them in your situation. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to be yanked off the shelf or people to call for a boycott. That was not my original point. I just hate that we live in a world where sometimes, a large majority of people will buy something trendy over practical or substance. My circumstances could change in the future and I may have a change of heart and actually have a use for it. But right now, it's something I can live without.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I can understand you using them in your situation. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to be yanked off the shelf or people to call for a boycott. That was not my original point. I just hate that we live in a world where sometimes, a large majority of people will buy something trendy over practical or substance. My circumstances could change in the future and I may have a change of heart and actually have a use for it. But right now, it's something I can live without.
I doubt many people buy them because they are 'trendy'. They buy them for practical reasons. My SIL bought one when it first came out and tried to talk me into getting one. I resisted and didn't think I'd like using one, but finally did get one for myself and my husband xmas 2011. I have done a lot more reading since getting one. I've even started reading some of the classics since they are all free. Many, many books are free or very low cost.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
i cant fault those who stick with the bound books, heck i just crossed over to the dark side and got a nook in the past couple years so as i hit my 50's that method just works much better for me. From font to convenience, i dont miss paper but i do still have a few books on the shelf that when i want to re-read them i'll go old school and flip the pages lol.

I'd say for most issues one has with e-readers, a counter can be found for bound.
Skip a bunch of pages in error and forgot where you were in the tablet? Heck most of us have probably dropped a paperback with the bookmark falling out, leaving us to flip thru to find what looked familiar.

Worried about a system or someone's "cloud" somehow losing one's purchases (a legit concern)? At least with Nook you can download your books to a pc to back up the files for yourself, same for purchases from other sites like smashwords. I'm not a kindle user so cant say how those would or would not work.

Yeah it can suck that one's owners manual is built into the tablet and not a separate booklet, but near anything electronic now comes with nothing but a link to find it online anyhow.

Guess i'm warming up to being more hi-tech; after all i can still remember cruising in a car with 8-track tapes, having only the 4 over-the air networks with cable not existing, phones being rotary, and computers?? yeah right.

Point is for me anyway, once grasped technology can make my life easier and more enjoyable for what i like to do. And if the world about ends one day and all that hi-tech stuff wont work? Oh i bet we'll have more to worry about then just what we could read.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Worried about a system or someone's "cloud" somehow losing one's purchases (a legit concern)? At least with Nook you can download your books to a pc to back up the files for yourself, same for purchases from other sites like smashwords. I'm not a kindle user so cant say how those would or would not work.
Exactly the same - you can back up your Kindle onto a computer. That is how books you DON'T buy from Amazon are brought into the Kindle - plug it in to your computer and it becomes an external device, just like a thumbdrive.

From a user standpoint, items being up in Amazon's cloud are not different than being on Amazon's Seattle servers - the access is exactly the same, Amazon is just hyping their cloud.

I do pay from storage space on the Amazon cloud - but that is for music I imported from iTunes to Amazon so that I have two copies of it. I have roughly 350GB music, acquired over the years, much of it from CD or LP into iTunes, that is long-ago discontinued and I wanted to make sure I always had access.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Quote:
I doubt many people buy them because they are 'trendy'. They buy them for practical reasons. My SIL bought one when it first came out and tried to talk me into getting one. I resisted and didn't think I'd like using one, but finally did get one for myself and my husband xmas 2011. I have done a lot more reading since getting one. I've even started reading some of the classics since they are all free. Many, many books are free or very low cost.
I know several personally. My sister bought one for my nephew. He's 16 and not interested in reading books. So i'm not sure why she got him one. Then they all got ipads Then my drinking buddies wife got one. So far he says she just talks about it and has yet to use it. Believe me, they are out there. There are people that buy crap just because its the new thing.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,105,447 times
I use both. I go back and forth between actual books and books on Kindle. I like the experience of browsing through the bookstore or library and picking out things I want to read, but sometimes the Kindle is so convenient especially if there's something specific I want and I don't feel like going out. I also found out after a cross country move books are heavy and can be expensive to move, so it's nice to have some of them stored virtually.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,864 times
WOW, you people are awesome! I knew I'd get ideas and information but not like this. I guess I just have to accept being in the 21 century.....

Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I know several personally. My sister bought one for my nephew. He's 16 and not interested in reading books. So i'm not sure why she got him one. Then they all got ipads Then my drinking buddies wife got one. So far he says she just talks about it and has yet to use it. Believe me, they are out there. There are people that buy crap just because its the new thing.
I would not say this is representative of the majority of people who buy ereaders. Fact is, eBOOK sales (not just ereader sales) are huge, it's a multi-million dollar industry. Amazon's ebook sales have surpassed their printed book sales. Sorry, but it's not going anywhere.

Feel free to be annoyed by people buying things that won't get used... but you're annoyed by those individual people, not by the device, not by the industry, not by people who do get good, practical use out it, which is most users.

Ereaders are very practical for me. I live in a small apartment so I don't have space for lots of print books so ebooks are very practical in this regard. I travel a lot and read on the go so ereaders are very practical for carting around because they are more portable than carrying 2+ books around. At the same time, I don't drive so ordering books off the internet is more practical and convenient than getting myself to a book store - and with instant downloads, it's much more practical than waiting for shipping and paying for postage. I find ereaders more practical to hold, because they are lighter and slimmer and I don't have to hold them open. I also find ebooks are more practical when referring back to passages with the search function and the ability to access all my highlights and notes at kindle.amazon.com. Oh, and one of my favorites - the built in front lighting of my Paperwhite means I can read in low light without having to mess with an awkward, annoying clip on light! Way more practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books