Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,049,072 times

Advertisements

I grew up with my nose stuck in a book. As a teenager I would read stephen king novels hidden under my text books during class. I think around college, and after, I stopped reading for quite some time. I then started up again, and I find I go through these 'dry spells' where no books interest me, and I end up with all of these books that I just couldn't get into or finish. I haven't picked up a book in months. I miss finding that awesome read that I just can't put down. I find that it's worse when I have a lot going on & I just can't seem to find the attention span to read. Like right now...I bought a house 2 months ago & I am getting married a month from today. There is no way I could concentrate enough to read right now, but I miss it.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,916,734 times
Yes. Me. For a variety of reasons -- some good, some bad -- and your current reasons are good ones.

(Enough with the sentence fragments. )

Cut yourself some slack; when you're ready to sit and read and enjoy the book, you will. I promise.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,312,178 times
Yes it happens to me. I will read 2-3 books a week for months and then the slump hits. When that happens I can't get into anything for awhile. I usually have to read an easy "smut" book to get me back on track.

I also read a lot less when I am busy. Life happens You will get back to it...you just have to find the right butt kicker

Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,337,045 times
Me too, me too!! To me, it's part of being a voracious reader and there's nothing wrong with it. I am like younglisa in that it usually takes something like a "smut" book or a really short book to get me back in it (and sometimes more than 1!).

Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,049,072 times
Lol yes the smut books can be a fast read!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,923,822 times
Yes. I can go 3 months without reading a book, then I'll read a book a day for a week. I generally read nonfiction, & now have a many book backup on kindle awaiting my next reading binge. Don't know when the urge will hit, but I'm ready!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM

7,247 posts, read 9,248,251 times
Me too. I was reading and now...I am not. I keep trying but it's hard when you're interrupted by a puppy (even though she's over a year old, she's still kind of in the puppy stage), and I've been working with horses, and nieces and nephews have been coming over to swim, etc. My 'puppy' has an ear infection of some sort, so I have to make a trip to the vet. I also need to get groceries but don't dare get them at the same time as the vet because the vehicle would be too hot. So yet another trip to town and I'm debating just when. I can't concentrate on reading. Did I mention I have a really big yard? I'm kind of down in the dumps about all the things I should be doing. I think I'd feel better if I could just wipe it from my mind and read for a couple of hours without that horrible feeling of all the things I should be doing.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,505,139 times
Not exactly, but sometimes I abandon books in an effort to try to catch up on my stack of magazines.

Maybe because I read very widely, I don't get bored. That is, I may get bored with a particular book, but not with the act of reading.

I find reading mostly very relaxing - unless it's a heavy-duty book on politics or something like that - so it's not as though I have to work to concentrate. Maybe, in your case, you might like to switch to something that doesn't require as much from you, like short stories (maybe O. Henry?) or else re-reading something, which I also do a lot.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,418,763 times
I only read library books. The library catalog I use sucks. Sometimes this becomes discouraging. For example, I enjoy reading local history, in either a biography or true crime book. So, often, the catalog becomes exhausted - can't find anything - but I'm sure more books I would like exiss. So, my trick is, use the internet, google or amazon to perform keyword searches to find books then; when I get the title, I look for that book at my library. If it isn't in my library I request it via Intralibrary Loan.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,775,561 times
I consider it a dry spell if every few minutes I am thinking "this sucks" or "this is stupid" or "why am I reading this dreck?" Even during a dry spell I have to read something no matter how bad it is. I am an addict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books