Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Morning all!

This is Mahrie's husband - Darling (cute, eh?)

I was wondering if the bulk of the readers of this forum are die hard printed book fans or if many or most have migrated to the ipad (or other similar internet connected pads) for reading?

Where are you situated in this modern (good or maybe not) era?
I prefer reading printed books rather than using a digital device for reading a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 05:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I've been a staunch printed-paper-book reader for almost five decades but having fiddled around with a Kindle paperwhite recently I'm thinking I may like to try that at least for some of my reading.

For one thing it's much cheaper for newer books.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 PM

243 posts, read 452,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've been a staunch printed-paper-book reader for almost five decades but having fiddled around with a Kindle paperwhite recently I'm thinking I may like to try that at least for some of my reading.

For one thing it's much cheaper for newer books.
I got a Kindle Fire as a Christmas present a few years ago, and I love it (minus a few annoying glitches and issues). However, I would prefer an e-ink reader and have been looking at the Paperwhite too. I've recently been researching and comparing e-ink readers to see which one I like best.

As easy as my Kindle is to use, I'm now looking to get away from a device tied to Amazon. My favorite is the Kobo Aura HD. Here's why:

• I'm a heavy library user. At times, the book I want to borrow only comes in EPUB format, which the Kindle does not support. Kobo, and every other e-reader I'm aware of, does support EPUB. There's a work around for this but it's not exactly on the up and up, and requires using a laptop to run three programs to download, strip the DRM and convert formats before you can transfer it to your Kindle.
  • I don't like how Amazon (and their price) is pretty much it if I want to buy a book. Amazon usually has good prices, it's just the principle of it.
  • Amazon has way too much control over your books and account once you purchase them. Read this and this.
  • I hate managing my Kindle through Amazon; the interface is frustratingly slow. Returning library books through Amazon.com is very annoying (to be fair, using Adobe Digital Editions is only slightly better). For books I own, I use Calibre instead.
  • The Kobo Aura has 4GB of space, but you can expand up to 32GB with a micro SD card. The Paperwhite has 2GB of space and is not expandable. It can hold unlimited books in the cloud, but then you rely on Amazon to be able to access your books.
  • No way to add tags/shelves/collections on the Kindle. This is extremely frustrating so I use Calibre to tag my books instead; of course this requires me to open up my laptop and search in Calibre for my next read, but it works. I've read that the Kobo Aura HD supports shelves.
I'm not a Kindle or an Amazon hater but, for me, it's time to move on to a device that is less restrictive. The things Kindle has going for it is that it's ridiculously easy to use and you can purchase a device that uses 3G for free if you don't have good WiFi access.

Just some thoughts to ponder Whatever you decide, happy reading!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Morning all!

I was wondering if the bulk of the readers of this forum are die hard printed book fans or if many or most have migrated to the ipad (or other similar internet connected pads) for reading?

I exclusively read on my eInk Kindle now but it's important to note that this is very different to reading on an iPad or other backlit tablet and I would not lump them together.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
I love the feel and the heft of a real book, especially with a mug of tea and my favorite reading chair. And I love my bookshelves and my book collection and the ability to easily find and reread favorite books or passages from books.

But when I'm commuting or sitting in my doctors office I love my cellphone with it's Kindle app and an ebook checked out from the library. I never thought I would, but it's easier that lugging books around.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
I prefer books to technology.....I used to work in a bookstore & just loved it. I also worked as a librarian.
Nothing like curling up on the couch, with a warm mug of tea or cocoa, and reading something captivating.......

Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I love the feel and the heft of a real book, especially with a mug of tea and my favorite reading chair. And I love my bookshelves and my book collection and the ability to easily find and reread favorite books or passages from books.

But when I'm commuting or sitting in my doctors office I love my cellphone with it's Kindle app and an ebook checked out from the library. I never thought I would, but it's easier that lugging books around.
Same here. I have my bookshelves at home and plenty of books still to read, but when I travel, which is often, it's my Kindle.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Morning all!

Audible, which is an app on the devices

I wouldn't read on a screen like the ipad. thats insane. Kindle/etc better

Old 10-15-2013, 05:14 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I try to understand why there is an either/or component to the question. I have a Kindle, one of the early ones, and I'm quite satisfied with it, especially the feature that allows me to increase the size of the type on those occasions when I've forgotten my glasses. But I also like to read paper books.

There are times when I have a destination that requires me to drive/ride to get there. But that doesn't mean I've given up walking.

For immediacy, e-mail can't be beat(en). But I love to get snail-mail from my family and friends.

If I can get a Kindle Daily Deal at a great price, I'll go for it. But if someone has a "real" book, and is willing to lend it, I won't turn up my nose.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
I got a Kindle Fire as a Christmas present a few years ago, and I love it (minus a few annoying glitches and issues). However, I would prefer an e-ink reader and have been looking at the Paperwhite too. I've recently been researching and comparing e-ink readers to see which one I like best.

As easy as my Kindle is to use, I'm now looking to get away from a device tied to Amazon. My favorite is the Kobo Aura HD. Here's why:

• I'm a heavy library user. At times, the book I want to borrow only comes in EPUB format, which the Kindle does not support. Kobo, and every other e-reader I'm aware of, does support EPUB. There's a work around for this but it's not exactly on the up and up, and requires using a laptop to run three programs to download, strip the DRM and convert formats before you can transfer it to your Kindle.
  • I don't like how Amazon (and their price) is pretty much it if I want to buy a book. Amazon usually has good prices, it's just the principle of it.
  • Amazon has way too much control over your books and account once you purchase them. Read this and this.
  • I hate managing my Kindle through Amazon; the interface is frustratingly slow. Returning library books through Amazon.com is very annoying (to be fair, using Adobe Digital Editions is only slightly better). For books I own, I use Calibre instead.
  • The Kobo Aura has 4GB of space, but you can expand up to 32GB with a micro SD card. The Paperwhite has 2GB of space and is not expandable. It can hold unlimited books in the cloud, but then you rely on Amazon to be able to access your books.
  • No way to add tags/shelves/collections on the Kindle. This is extremely frustrating so I use Calibre to tag my books instead; of course this requires me to open up my laptop and search in Calibre for my next read, but it works. I've read that the Kobo Aura HD supports shelves.
I'm not a Kindle or an Amazon hater but, for me, it's time to move on to a device that is less restrictive. The things Kindle has going for it is that it's ridiculously easy to use and you can purchase a device that uses 3G for free if you don't have good WiFi access.

Just some thoughts to ponder Whatever you decide, happy reading!
the above were many of the reasons we went 'nook' instead of kindle; especially the storage and ease of use (& how we wanted things accessed, etc). Both my wife and I have their e-ink readers which are easier on the eyes, have the soft glow at night, and the screens are much better outdoors/at the beach. We also have their 'HD tablets' which can be easy enough to read on if you tweak the screen settings; but we can load our own movies (as i have a program for converting my dvd's into files for tablet viewing) for traveling and not rely on streaming or storage limits. My tablet actually has the kindle app from google play, so for the occasional book i cant get from BN, my library, or a site like Smashwords, i can get from Amazon.
But i do know others who prefer the Amazon route for files/access, guess as long as one reads, how they get there is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books