Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times

Advertisements

Maybe you need glasses? Or a new prescription if you already wear glasses. My eyes get very very tired when I don't have glasses that are right and I fall asleep reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I was stuck in a similar rut until recently. I was reading short stories, articles, and working on one verrrrry long book that I've been reading since beach season (The Power Broker, biography of Robert Moses) that is so full of heavy detail that I cannot do more than 25 - 50 pages at a time with days in between. I'll get there.

Part of the reason is that I read contracts and documents and related info all day long. It's hard to see and concentrate at the end of the day.

But then--I was out sick/surgery for three weeks. The first few days I was on the couch and watched some mind-numbing TV. Then I started to catch up on articles I wanted to read. THEN-I picked up Dragon Tattoo, which I'd gotten at a church sale and just READ. And finished it. And now I'm reading my next book. I think I need the mindclearing and rest for my brain.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 PM

143 posts, read 357,323 times
That happened to me, I practically quit reading anything that wasn't academic while I was in college. One day I decided I wanted to read again but didn't know what to read! So I tried reading some of the "classics" and got bored realllllly fast. Then I took a different approach and re-read my favorite books (Harry Potter series haha) and after that I guess something just clicked because I read about one book per week now and I use GoodReads to keep track of what I've read and what I want to read. I've read just over 40 books this year with an average of 428 pages per book!

So maybe try re-reading one of your favorite books and it'll spark your interest in reading again?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM

522 posts, read 715,541 times
check at your local library ttell the reference librarian what type of books you like and maybe they will have suggestions for you

Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Maybe you need glasses? Or a new prescription if you already wear glasses. My eyes get very very tired when I don't have glasses that are right and I fall asleep reading.
I was going to suggest glasses too. I also suggest "readers", not just using bifocals, makes reading easier. Good luck, OP, I went years without reading for pleasure. Now that I have my Paperwhite, I hungrily read every day.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:10 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post

How do I get back my love of reading? It has made me a better writer and thinker - and I want to keep those assets.
Have you tried audiobooks? I listen to them as I work out, garden, do housework, run errands, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books