Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. So many people raved about it that I tried to get into it, but I was bored out of my mind.
One of my all time favorite books. (I did not like her most recent book, though.)

Quote:
BTW, I had the same reaction to The Hunger Games. EVERYONE I knew who had read it went on and on and on about how amazing it was, so I got it for my Kindle and was bored silly.
I didn't expect to, but I loved the trilogy. Read them well after they were popular, just to find out what my then-teenage nieces were talking about. However, my adult daughter found the first one "dull." I told her, "You didn't even give it a chance!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,140,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
This came with the Google Books app on my phone. I'm trying to read it here and there (waiting for appts, etc) and I swear one of these days it is going to put me to sleep!

I read this a couple of years ago for a book club and we all pretty much hated it.

I don't know that boring is necessarily the right word, but I'm finding Joanne Fluke's "Hannah Swenson" seris is getting stale. My friend keeps asking why I bother to continue reading them. I'm hoping some of the previous spunk will return.
I read Catcher in the Rye back when I was in high school and panned it in a book report, which my English teacher couldn't believe. A redneck farm girl who started working in the fields as a little kid just doesn't relate well to some spoiled little rich boy's pathetic problems. I've thought about re-reading 40+ years later but why bother?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,140,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasColoradoOhio View Post
Silas Marner by George Eliot. I had to read it for my sophomore year in high school. I honestly did not care for the selected works that my teacher chose that year. I did enjoy reading Jack London's works while I was conducting research for a paper that she required.
Did you go to high school in the 60s???? Good grief, I hated Silas Marner. We also had to read Steinbeck's The Pearl. I swear, the entire purpose of English lit in HS was to make even good students hate literature.

Luckily for me, I took an English lit course as a freshman in college from a pretty cool instructor, and so I developed an open mind about literature.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
I can't remember, it was too boring. I once got tired of choosing and just went to the fiction section at the library and started in the A's. That lasted through one book or part of one book. Looked like someone had just made a journal of their daily life and published it.

I really prefer non-fiction; especially statistical information books.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,349,957 times
Anna Karenina
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
11/22/63
The Sun Also Rises
The Pilots Wife

Many more...............................

Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 AM

15,704 posts, read 9,412,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
I've been on a Dean Koontz kick lately and every story I read I feel would make a great movie.
My wife keeps asking: when are they going to make an OddThomas movie?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM

15,468 posts, read 15,438,667 times
I once had to read a fat book on the history of the polio vaccine. That was the worst.

The second most boring was, I think, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, by Jared Diamond.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:56 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,096,512 times
Try the "Mission Earth" series if you want to be bored AND waste a month of your life.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 AM

21,393 posts, read 10,436,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I once had to read a fat book on the history of the polio vaccine. That was the worst.
Hmmm, did they talk about the theory of the polio vaccine trials in the Congo possibly starting the HIV epidemic? I read an in-depth article many years ago about that theory, and it was very plausible. I think that angle would have been pretty interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books