Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:02 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times

Advertisements

What got you into reading?

I'll let you know when it happens. So far in 57 years nothing has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:21 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

I'll let you know when it happens. So far in 57 years nothing has.

Stick around the Books Forum for a while and you'll get some great suggestions and engaging discussion!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:59 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Mmmmmm, reminds me of Sector General by James White. I saw those books forever but didn't start reading them until the Cold War or the 90s.

As it was, to me they are a bit dry.....and tremendously chauvinistic!......but still, I remember them to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sector_General
Before the 70s SF was mostly chauvinistic, I guess the transition began during the 60s. Now we have the SF Feminist backlash. LOL

When I first read Star Surgeon I did not even know that the Sun was a star and that all of the stars are suns. SF altered my perspective of reality. Plenty of stuff called SF is just shallow adventure in peculiar settings but quite a bit has significant things to say. Most reviews gloss over anything significant.

Consider all this AI hype we hear today.

Try: The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan

Not the best writing but more significant than Neuromancer.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:14 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Probably learning the alphabet my grandmother read to me all the time. I read to my kids while they were in the womb even. My daughter LOVES to read, and my son just doesn't.

When my ex and I split up he thanked me for turning him on to reading. For him in his late 20s all it took was reading Dune, and he was never without a book after that.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:51 PM

378 posts, read 229,981 times
A dreadful speech impediment and lack of friends at the tender age of five.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
My parents and I bless them for it. They were avid readers and bought us lots of books for Christmas and birthdays.

When we lived in Kansas the base library was fully stocked and each person could check out 4 books at a time for 2 weeks. We'd make a family trip of it every two weeks and the four of us came home with a total of 16 books. What a wonderful time that was. I felt rich with four books to read during those 2 weeks.

I have over 800 books on my kindle and I still feel rich.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:13 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I dont know if I already responded, but I read the book, Exodus, when I was about 12 or 13 and it opened my thinking to where real stories could take me. It was also real history, so I grew to love getting my history with a dose of romance and adventure.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Since this is a thread about loving reading
Do you think it would help or hinder an almost 5 yr old to get an e-reader for his birthday?
He has Leapfrog bcuz no ads, more educational games
He loves reading books--Mom is elementary teacher
Library books and bought books
Can recognize/sound out some basic words
Amazon Prime day and Kindles on sale
I am Prime and his mom on my account
Read Kindle app on my iPad
Picture books not always great on my Kindle iPad app
Comments?

Old 07-09-2017, 09:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Trying to copy-cat people who could read, and the total addiction to comic books that all kids in my childhood had (the 1940's.)

I was envious of the kids already in school who could read and write. Sometimes we played with chalkboards - especially when the girls were in charge, and I would just write letters at random to fill the board and play "school" with the rest of the kids. One day a girl looked at my letter-covered chalkboard and said, "He wrote a word. Baby." And there in the middle of the mishmash of letters was b-a-b-y. I was thrilled to death by this announcement. And a monster was born.

My widowed aunt and my father (who would never speak to her or acknowledge her presence) used to read in the living room after dinner. The two sections of the newspaper were exchanged between them by putting them down on the hassock between them, and each took up the section that the other had put down. (Don't ask, it's a thread of its own!) Now emboldened by my discovery that I was among the literate, I placed myself on the floor by the hassock and when one deposited a section of the newspaper, I snatched it and opened it on the floor. You can imagine the crimp that this put in their ritual. But before I would give the section up, I would ask what different words were. And in this manner they were able to ransom the part of the paper that it was their turn to read. As I learned more words, mostly from the headlines of articles, the more aggressive I became about refusing to give up the section I had taken. I began to pick out words that I knew and wanted to know the words in between in order to "get" the story.

My aunt began handing me magazines to "read" as they had photos to go along with the words. However, I was still a nuisance. There were simple children's books, of course. But once I managed to get through one, I wanted another and we were pinched for money. The solution was comic books, cheap and all the kids on the block traded them back and forth.

The first comic books that I bought or was given about a year before kindergarten were of the Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Little Lulu variety. The plots were obvious and the words were few and the stories without any elaborate embellishment. And with comic books it was easier to cajole some cooperative slightly older kid to tell you what the words meant or even sit down and read along with you.

And I was on my way.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:19 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
Started reading at a very young age. My mom read to me and I started repeating the words. Did not know meanings until a little older, all children's books. I continued to read, heavily in high school. Reading allowed me escape reality for a little while. I still love to read. Anything from bios to sci-fi, history to true crime. When we get the extra money, we go to Books A Million or other book stores. My wife dreads it at times because I can literally stay in there for hours! But, since there's coffee shops inside, she's more tolerant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books