Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:19 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,151 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid I loved to read. Then as I grew older, I got out of it. Unless I forced to in school, I never willingly pick up a book. I am in my mid 30's now and I love to read. About 3 years ago I got a new job. The one big problem was that I didn't have a car (I had sold it to pay bill when I was unemployed). So I took the bus to work. With how .the bus schedule ran, I had to end up at work 2.5 hours early because the one after that would not get me there on time. With all that time to kill I started to read, mostly just ransom books at first. The more I read the more I started to love to read. I no longer ride the bus but I still read every single day and enjoy it.

Also, My mom never was into reading. A couple years ago I bought her a Amazon Kindle and she loves it and actually reads now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM

243 posts, read 452,549 times
It's great you got back into reading, OP. New ways of thinking and new worlds are at our fingertips, and not enough people take advantage of this anymore. I'm so thankful for all the great authors who share their work.

Quote:
What got you into reading?
My mom. She loves reading as well and started me out very young. She and my dad would read me Dr. Seuss books and I memorized them in order to "read" them back to my parents. They (mostly my mom's doing) always included books in Christmas and birthday presents.

If we were in a store and I asked for a toy she would usually say no, but if I asked for a book she almost always said yes . My mom never really censored my book selections and let me read whatever I found interesting and comprehensible. This was kind of puzzling because she was really strict about what I was allowed to watch or listen to, perhaps not realizing I was already reading adult books with all their mature content by middle school.

She and my dad also let me read anywhere -- in restaurants, at family events, in the car, walking around the grocery store, under the table, nested in the linen closet, in bed at night with a flashlight when I was supposed to be sleeping -- it was all fair game.

It was hard to find time in college to read, but I really enjoyed my lit classes even though I was a biology major and love science. I've actually been thinking of my lit classes lately and ordered some poetry a few days ago by authors that I remembered enjoying (Shakespeare, Coleridge, Longfellow). As much as I enjoy contemporary authors, there's something special about the familiarity, warmth, and different time and world of classics.

Now writing, that's a different story. Not a fan of having to write essays or papers or even creatively -- I much prefer the ease and enjoyment of reading .

Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 PM

389 posts, read 692,338 times
What got me into reading? Being born and then learning how. I've always loved to read.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,124 times
My mom got me reading. She is a big reader and has been my entire life. I remember as a young teen starting a book before she left for work (an 11-7 shift) - next thing I knew she was coming home from work and I had read three books while she was at work. I'm as big a reader as my mom.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 PM

389 posts, read 692,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
My mom got me reading. She is a big reader and has been my entire life. I remember as a young teen starting a book before she left for work (an 11-7 shift) - next thing I knew she was coming home from work and I had read three books while she was at work. I'm as big a reader as my mom.
Hmmmmmmmm...I, as well, probably should have said my mom. I was her first child so she had lots of time to read me book after book even years before I learned how to read myself. That is most likely what set the foundation for my love of books and reading.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
What got me into reading?

My parents. They were voracious readers. I can remember being read to as a toddler. One of them read to me every night. It was a major bonding experience and not just with them but with the books.

Another thing that added to my love of books was the base library. My mother, father, younger sister and I could each check out 4 books at a time. So, we would return from the library with a bounty of 16 books on each trip. I never felt as rich as I did when we drove home from the library.

Also, my parents always subscribed to The New York Times. That paper weighed a ton. Dad was a native NYer. The book section of the paper was the first thing my mother read. So, I started reading it, too.

Then there was the holy grail "The Book of the Month Club." LOL. They loved it. In fact, I still have some of those books with "BOMC" on the covers. Gosh, that was decades ago.

There was also a little newspaper given to us at school from time to time in Hawaii. The Weekly Reader. Near the end of each school term the paper offered soft-covered books for us to order. I was in the 2nd through 5 grades and I went nuts when that edition came out. We could order the books that were 25¢ each. Oh the joy. The utter joy. When the boxes arrived they were manna from heaven. I was into ponies then and I read so many books about ponies. I know this was a bit of a financial drain for my folks (it was in the 1950s) but they let me order $5.00 worth of books.

So, I grew up in a family that read. That's how I got into reading. Thanks, Mom and Dad.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
My brothers and I read books, comic books, newspapers and cereal boxes. Our mother mainly just read the bible, but she wanted us to be readers and made sure there was plenty of material around.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Easy. My parents reading to me. Not just fluffy little kitten books. My mother read me the names of countries on maps. My dad read me the box scores in the sports pages. My sister, 6 years older, "played school" by reading me her school books.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:30 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
I love reading so much that it could be considered somewhat of a vice. I read when I really should be doing other things.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I love reading so much that it could be considered somewhat of a vice. I read when I really should be doing other things.
I hear that! Sometimes when I am reading on my break at work. I will be at a real good part and I end up taking a extra long break to read on. But in my defense, I get twice as much work done then my co-workers so I dont feel too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books