Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 05:04 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think even people not into Stephen King will enjoy The Stand. It really is a fabulous book. Definitely in my top 10
Agree. I'm not as big a fan as I used to be, but I think The Stand will be considered a classic in future generations' college reading curriculums.

Today I bought a novel by Tommy Wallach titled 'We All Looked Up'. It's about the lives people choose to lead when they learn an asteroid will hit earth in two months. It will be my front porch reward after a hard weekend of yard work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 03:29 PM

59 posts, read 50,835 times
Post Reply to topic creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I saw the thread about going through "dry spells" and it prompted me to think that it would be great to have a thread of books recommended to get us through those dry spells. You know, a book that captivated you and was almost effortless to read.

I have raved about these previously but I will repeat-

One Thousand White Women

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

What books can you recommend??
This got me curious... I am wondering if "The Story of the Earth Sage of The Leaf" (an action-fantasy series) or "The Matrix Revelations" (a 4th movie for the Matrix) are the kind of stories that would erase your reading dry spell completely. I'm also wondering if my storytelling style is what erases the dry spell or if it is the interesting plot of the stories.
Check them out (they are free and available) and let me know if they kept you interested or not:

https://theearthsageoftheleaf.wordpr...e-of-the-leaf/

https://theearthsageoftheleaf.wordpr...x-revolutions/

Have fun ^_^
These stories are what I used as practice. I am planning to do other original series as well.

Last edited by HonestIntellectual; 04-29-2018 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 03:50 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
If you are asking for light reading, I’ve enjoyed all of Dorothea Benton Clark’s books. Also the Outlander series, Diane Gabaldon.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 3,467 times
Default Stephen King and More

To throw in my two cents for easy-to-read Stephen King books, The Eyes of the Dragon is one that I absolutely couldn't put down until I finished it. I found it to be different than many of his other stories and very interesting. (Disclaimer: I was a child at the time, so this could have some bearing on that).

However, if you aren't into Stephen King, I always find Mark Twain stories to be nice and easy to read. In addition to his most well-known stories, he also wrote a number of short stories. For a less well-known author/book, you might want to give Assassin Marked by Michael C. Sahd a shot.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 AM

965 posts, read 938,453 times
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Now reading all of his.... I am impressed at every turn, and smiling most of the time

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara kingsolver (anything and everything she has written)

Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Now reading all of his.... I am impressed at every turn, and smiling most of the time

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara kingsolver (anything and everything she has written)
Just finished The Bean Trees....again

Old 01-03-2020, 05:52 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I thought this thread might be of interest. Still some great suggestions if you browse through.
I would add:

The Story of Arthur Truluv

Old 01-06-2020, 08:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,214,424 times
I re-read some shorter Steinbeck to get back into reading. Tortilla Flat, The Wayward Bus.

Also can't miss with an Agatha Christie, or a Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:25 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
i'm not really seeing how this thread is anything other than "A List of Books I Like," as some of these suggestions have put me INTO a reading slump. I suspect the variation is going to be too great, as what might kick off a reading tear among some might be the opposite for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books