U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which book(s) shall we read?
Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky 3 11.11%
Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver 4 14.81%
Five Quarters of the Orange - Joanne Harris 4 14.81%
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee 7 25.93%
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 5 18.52%
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 4 14.81%
The Power Of One - Bryce Courtenay 1 3.70%
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell 1 3.70%
Cider House Rules - John Irving 5 18.52%
Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen 8 29.63%
The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields 2 7.41%
The Once and Future King - T. H. White 0 0%
Watership Down - Richard Adams 2 7.41%
Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins 1 3.70%
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle 0 0%
The Plot Against America - Philip Roth 2 7.41%
Fall on your Knees - Anne Marie MacDonald 2 7.41%
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls 3 11.11%
Amsterdam - Ian McEwan 0 0%
Poisonwood Bible- Barbara Kingsolver 6 22.22%
The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards 4 14.81%
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving 3 11.11%
Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini 9 33.33%
Boom - Voices of the 60s - Tom Brokaw 9 33.33%
The War at Home - Nora Eisenberg 5 18.52%
Kaffir Boy - Mark Mathabane 2 7.41%
Box Children - Sharon Wyse 3 11.11%
The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War - David Halberstam 1 3.70%
The Innocent - Ian McEwan 6 22.22%
Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill. 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:12 PM

321 posts, read 618,186 times

Advertisements

I nominate gemthornton - LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,362,205 times
Me too, gem it is! I just started Water for Elephants, what a great writer. Is engrossing and a very unique story.

Will each book have its own thread, I hope?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:45 AM

10,183 posts, read 23,571,628 times
RDSLOTS has graciously offered to lead our discussion on a 1000 Splendid Suns.

It would be a pleasure to have gemthornton lead our discussion on Water for Elephants. Gem, if you are out there, send me a DM so we can organise our best strategy.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:54 AM

Congrats to RDSLOTS! Look forward to it.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM

4,597 posts, read 9,850,524 times
Default Really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think this will be great fun.

In anticipation of wanting to contribute to the discussion, I've done a little research this afternoon. There is an interesting website Khaled Hosseini has established, and on it, he discusses his works. Seems he is much like the little boy, writing and performing as a child, in The Kite Runner.

Hosseini discusses the difficulty in taking on the persona of the two women in A Thousand Splendid Suns, and how he found his 'voice' for the work, which struck me as authentic.

YouTube has a video of Hosseini discussing this second novel, as well as a trailer for the film of the first one.

Wikipedia also has a good general history of Afghanistan which helped me with the time period of A Thousand Splendid Suns. I was in HS in the early 1970s, college from 73 - 77, and I recalled headlines but little else.

This should be a lot of fun. I finished Water for Elephants, and am currently reading Brokaw's Boom!, which I am really enjoying -- sort of like re-living my youth. What a great idea, on the road had -- no?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:25 PM

4,728 posts, read 8,536,318 times
Wink I found those sites interesting also, RDSLOTS.

I had read that, also, RDSLOTS, about Hosseini finding his "voice" for the women characters.

What I thought was so intriguing about that was that he went to his wife for advice and feedback as he traveled through his writing of his novel. It is ironic that a man born into that culture shows that love, respect and trust can still exist between men and women through his own reliance on his wife.

What a contrast to the radical personages of some of the male characters and the male superiority that pervades life in Afghanistan. Interesting contrast.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 01-26-2008 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: sp.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 PM

4,728 posts, read 8,536,318 times
Wink Keep reading, all! This will be a great experience.

Thank you for asking me to help lead the discussion of Water for Elephants, ontheroad - and others. It will be very interesting to hear everyone's opinions.

We have already heard from some with mixed reviews on Water. I am anxious for all to discuss their likes and dislikes of this particular pick.

I am wondering if our personal experiences with similar circumstances discussed in the book may contribute towhether or not we liked the "story" itself. (I will not reveal them at this time for those of you who have not read the book.)

I know that the readers will have much to say about the story of Jacob and the format that the author chose. For those of you who have not yet read Water for Elephants, take a look and read what you can, and please jump in at any time once our discussion begins. The more the merrier!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM

Thanks for that info, RDSLOTS and gemthornton. I may cut and paste that info into the discussion thread, if you don't object. I'll just add that one of the recent issues of Newsweek had an interview with Hosseini and the movie crew. I found it somewhat informative.

Now for the info on the grand opening of our first reading group thread:

Book: 1000 Splendid Suns
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Group Leader: RDSLOTS
Discussion Thread Open: on/about Noon, Sunday, 27 January 2008
Discussion Thread Open: Indefinitely

Rules of Engagement:

Enjoy, discuss, exchange ideas, opinions, make allusions, references to similar plots and themes, Hosseini's other written material, the movie if it applies, but otherwise try not to introduce unrelated topics.

General off topic comments will be permitted as they relate directly to the reading group and the book under discussion.

This is intended as a "fun" experience and not school!

RDSLOTS will lead the discussion and keep it moving. We will keep the thread open, indefinitely, so that the members of our group who have not had a chance to procure it or read it can join the discussion at any time.

Members who have not read this book, please take your time and try to resist reading the thread (unless you wish to hear about the book beforehand ) and trust that the discussion will be on-going as members can and will join the thread.

I will act as moderator, and participant.

I do think we can assume that one or more City-Data members, who did not sign on, might join us in our discussion. As this is a public forum, this is inevitable and permissible. . Only posts that do not conform to CD ToS will be monitored and/or deleted.

Please make any suggestions or offer your input here at any time.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Water for Elephants

We are lucky to have gemthornton volunteer to lead our discussion on our second book selection:

Book: Water for Elephants
Author: Sara Gruen
Group Leader: gemthornton
Discussion Thread Open: on/about Noon, Friday, 1 February 2008
Discussion Thread Open: Indefinitely

Rules of Engagement:

Enjoy, discuss, exchange ideas, opinions, make allusions, references to similar plots and themes, but otherwise try not to introduce unrelated topics.

General off topic comments will be permitted as they relate directly to the reading group and the book under discussion.

This is intended as a "fun" experience and not school!

[b]gemthornton/B] will lead the discussion and keep it moving. We will keep the thread open, indefinitely, so that the members of our group who have not had a chance to procure it or read it can join the discussion at any time.

Members who have not read this book, please take your time and try to resist reading the thread (unless you wish to hear about the book beforehand ) and trust that the discussion will be on-going as members can and will join the thread.

I will act as moderator, and participant.

I do think we can assume that one or more City-Data members, who did not sign on, might join us in our discussion. As this is a public forum, this is inevitable and permissible. Only posts that do not conform to CD ToS will be monitored and/or deleted.

Please make any suggestions or offer your input here at any time.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM

Wondering if RDSLOTS can put up the link for Housseni? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books