Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times

Advertisements

Here is my list so far

Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Midnight Come Again by Dana Stabenow

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Virals by Kathy Reichs

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn

The Hunt by Allison Brennan

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Shadow Spell by Nora Roberts

The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times (The Midwife Trilogy #1) by Jennifer Worth

Those are the books I have and have on hold so far at my library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Dog On It by Spencer Quinn
Oh, do I envy you. You're just going to be reading your first Chet and Bernie novel with more to come. There are good times ahead for you. I'm waiting impatiently for August 5th when his latest novel will appear on my Kindle. If you like mysteries with animals as characters and if you like hard boiled this will be a real treat. Reading Chet's narration is like reading something from 1935.

I'll be reading Cotton Mather's account of the Salem witches and their trial. I love first hand accounts and interesting memoirs.

There is a thread on the Food Forum here about bananas. I decided to learn more so I ordered the Kindle sample of Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World. I'm hoping it's a good one because I enjoy food history. This one is timely as well since a rapidly spreading blight may wipe out the Cavendish banana; that's the variety everyone knows and loves.

Beyond these, who knows; I don't plan ahead much in my recreational reading.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Oh, do I envy you. You're just going to be reading your first Chet and Bernie novel with more to come. There are good times ahead for you. I'm waiting impatiently for August 5th when his latest novel will appear on my Kindle. If you like mysteries with animals as characters and if you like hard boiled this will be a real treat. Reading Chet's narration is like reading something from 1935.

I'll be reading Cotton Mather's account of the Salem witches and their trial. I love first hand accounts and interesting memoirs.

There is a thread on the Food Forum here about bananas. I decided to learn more so I ordered the Kindle sample of Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World. I'm hoping it's a good one because I enjoy food history. This one is timely as well since a rapidly spreading blight may wipe out the Cavendish banana; that's the variety everyone knows and loves.

Beyond these, who knows; I don't plan ahead much in my recreational reading.
Thanks. I learned about the Chet books from people on CD. I finding a new book or author that has a series I like

I've always had a fascination with the Salem "witches"…maybe one day I will get around to reading more about them.

Oh no….I saw the thread about the bananas. I need to watch the video to see why we may lose them.

Enjoy your books. I only plan because every few weeks or so I go through my To Read list on goodreads and then I order a bunch of them from my library. This way I have to read them

Old 07-05-2014, 04:51 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,279 times
only one so far:
The Border Crossed Us:Undoing border imperialism by Harsha Walia.

"Together with poems and stories from more than two dozen voices from all over the world, Walia envisions a decolonized future, and illuminates a pathway out of the borders of empire."

Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 AM

2,322 posts, read 922,773 times
Watership Down by Richard Adams

Ground Zero: A Zombie Apolcalypse by Nicholas Ryan

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Night Light by Terri Blackstock

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Defending Jacob by William Landay*

Room by Emma Donoghue*

God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew

Next month I'll be attempting some heavy lifting, revisiting two books that I started and didn't finish... The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I was tempted to place them on the list for this month, but I think Watership Down is enough lifting for July

Thank you younglisa7. I wanted to answer your question regarding how many books I've read so far and for the life of me I couldn't remember. When I saw you were tracking your count on goodreads, I went and registered an account. I linked it up with my amazon purchases and life just got easier I can delete my notepad file with my to read list. I would visit goodreads if I was sent there to read a review but I had no idea what I could do there. Thanks again.

*Recommendations from What book are you reading?

Last edited by winrunner; 07-05-2014 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Fixing link.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Thank you younglisa7. I wanted to answer your question regarding how many books I've read so far and for the life of me I couldn't remember. When I saw you were tracking your count on goodreads, I went and registered an account. I linked it up with my amazon purchases and life just got easier I can delete my notepad file with my to read list. I would visit goodreads if I was sent there to read a review but I had no idea what I could do there. Thanks again.

*Recommendations from What book are you reading?
You are so welcome. I love goodreads for that as I would have no clue what I have read. This year I also starting writing short reviews to jog my memory as I tens to forget that I have read some books

You have some good books on that list. I have to wait for Room as my library doesn't have it yet

Have you read The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton? I enjoyed that one

BTW, I couldn't get your link to open but it might just be my computer.

Happy reading all

Old 07-05-2014, 07:01 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,018,728 times
Just finishing Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille
Then will move on to:
Defending Jacob by William Landay
If I stay by Gayle Forman
One lavender Ribbon by Heather Burch

Old 07-05-2014, 07:29 AM

2,322 posts, read 922,773 times
Quote:
You are so welcome. I love goodreads for that as I would have no clue what I have read. This year I also starting writing short reviews to jog my memory as I tens to forget that I have read some books
I've had my account <24hrs and I love it. For my short term to read list I used a notepad .txt file with title, genre and description of the book. My long term reading list was on a wishlist on amazon. One of the problems with this system was that I was in one mood when creating and adding to the short list and in an entirely different mood when I was ready for the next book. So I'd have to go through kindle on Windows 8 to check out all of the covers of the books I had on hand to see what struck my fancy OR I'd have to check out my wishlist on amazon.

I may have to borrow you're review writing system as I am in the same boat

Quote:

You have some good books on that list. I have to wait for Room as my library doesn't have it yet

Gracias and sorry to hear that

Have you read The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton? I enjoyed that one

I haven't, but I am intrigued by his skill.

BTW, I couldn't get your link to open but it might just be my computer.

All me. Somehow I added some extra stuff to the front of the url

Old 07-05-2014, 03:24 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Interesting to have that all planned out. I never do that. I just scan a stack, so there's an element of randomness.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting to have that all planned out. I never do that. I just scan a stack, so there's an element of randomness.
I get my stacks from the library so I always have about 10 new books to read and a time limit that I can keep them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books