Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,820 times

Advertisements

I still have my Chicago library card, which was issued in 1952 when I was 10 years old. That year I read:

Swiss Family Robinson
Robinson Crusoe
The Hardy Boys Mysteries
The Deerslayer
The Last of the Mohicans
The Pioneer
The Prairie
The Pathfinder

Age 14-16

Wake Island
Stalingrad
Cross of Iron
The Enemy Below
Run Silent Run Deep
Away All Boats
Zero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,181 times
Today I remembered a book I read in the 4th grade,
Where the Red Fern Grows

I remember bawling right there in class...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
I remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows also, tulegirl. But, I had not recalled it until I saw it in your post. I am such a softy for horse and dog stories and this one was magical for me.

I believe I was just about the same age that you were when I read it and I, like the boy in the story, had such torn feelings about what was the right thing to do. Great story for children as taking responsibility for their actions and decisions.

JustPassinThru, you were a very mature reader at 10! I don't think I read The Last of the Mohicans and The Pathfinder until I was in 8th or 9th grade. I was still in my Nancy Drew and Robinson Crusoe stage at 10 and 11!

I am collecting such a wonderful list of books for my grandchildren's library. I must find a job!

You have all brought back such wonderful memories of long lazy summer days and warm cozy winter nights all curled up on the sofa reading my time away.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
My favorite books from childhood are:

(these are not listed in order by which they were age appropriate)

-Harold and the Purple Crayon books.
-Bendemolena (The Cat Who Wore A Pot On Her Head).
-A Light In The Attic and Where The Sidewalk Ends.
-The Chronic (what) cul of Narnia series.
-Pretty much every Choose Your Own Adventure book.
-The Phantom Tollbooth.
-Any book that had to do with Dungeons and Dragons (yes, I was a D&D nerd).
-Where The Wild Things Are.
-Any book that had to do with Winnie the Pooh.
-Any book on dinosaurs, ufos and other cool science stuff.
-Any book on useless facts.
-Any book on urban legends.

I read some Hardy Boys books, but can't remember if I liked them or not.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:38 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,460 times
When I was a little girl we were allowed 1 hour of TV (while our parents prepared dinner) and other than that we read or played outside, so I read a lot. My parents read us books after they finished dinner every night (the big chapter books we were to small to read at the time). My favorites were Heidi and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory my sister's favorites were Pippi Longstocking and Black Beauty. We read lots of books (at least 1 a week) but we read those several times each. We also each had a special chapter book that our parents would read 1 chapter of every night before bed. My sister continued this tradition with my neice, who is now 14 and reads constantly!

As far as independant reading goes I loved the Nancy Drew books (my grandma still had my mom's set!), The Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High series and anything by Lois Duncan. I loved the V.C. Andrews books too, but I had to hide them because they REALLY aren't for kids!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 AM

126 posts, read 299,605 times
Some of my fav.books I read as a kid R,"The boxcar children","Where the Red Fern Grows","Charlette Web","The Indian in the cupboard","Roll of Thunder hear my cry",and I think the other was called"The BFG"?,I read most of these books at school.Another 1 from my early yrs.is "Brer Rabbit".I have a few of these books in my schoolroom,(I homeschool).

Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,694 times
I remember:

Nancy Drew
Little Woman (when I was 8)
any Ronald Dahl book
Dr. Suess (of course)
Roll of Thunder Her my Cry (I think I was 9-10, I might even still have it in a box somewhere)
Gone With the Wind (I was about 10-11)

Pretty much almost any fiction, sci-fi, fantasy book I could get my hands on I read. I even went through a period of time where I read R.L. Stine. I still go through books like there is no tomorrow and wish I could afford to buy more.

The one mistake I made was reading an Anne Rice book (I think it was Lestat? ) when I was 11 or 12. WAAAAAAAY too young to be reading that kind of book!!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:43 AM

450 posts, read 2,321,330 times
Too many to list!

Little Women
Little House on the Prairie series
Anne of Green Gables series
Beverly Cleary
Judy Blume (anything by Cleary and Blume was always so good!)
The Secret Garden
The Little Princess
Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series
The Pink Motel by Carol Ryrie Brink
The Phantom Tollbooth
Alice in Wonderland

My fluff reading was Sweet Valley High, The Babysitters Club, and The Girls of Canby Hall series..

I liked most all of the Newbery medal and honor books....

The Betsy Books (B is For Betsy etc)

I also liked a book called Trick or Treat by I think Richie something or other, and other "scary" R.L.Stine type books.

I did read the carolyn keene Nancy Drew books..my favorite was the one where nancy impersonated a famous tennis player or the one where she got poisoned by a broach and they had to find the antidote...

The Black Stallion series especially the Black Stallion Mystery

The Dollhouse Murders

things like that...

Charlotte's Web
The Little Prince
Frog and Toad Are Friends (when I was very young)

My favorite was Alice in Wonderland....and The Pink Motel.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
The Secret Garden is my all time favorite. Followed by Green Dolphin Street, not a really children's book, but it had ships, and Maoris, and getting trapped in caves, and star crossed childhood sweethearts, and sibling rivalry, all sorts of fascinating things LOL.

I adored the Andrew Lang series of fairy tales, Hans Christian Anderson, the Bros. Grimm, Aesop's Fables, mythology of every kind, Alfred Hitchcock, Edgar Allan Poe.

We had a set of "children's classics" at home so I read such books as Heidi, Hans Brinker, Little Women, a couple of Jules Verne books, all in all about sixty titles. Loved them all. We also had a set of Happy Hollister Mysteries that got me hooked on mystery stories. If anybody else has ever heard of these I'd be surprised!

Books about kids living on their own thrilled me. I loved My Side of the Mountain, Island of the Blue Dolphin, and Lord of the Flies. Oddly enough I had never heard of the Boxcar Children until my kids were in school.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 AM

450 posts, read 2,321,330 times
Oh, how could I forget another one of my favorites from around 4-6th grade??

The Westing Game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books