Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I'd recommend a couple of dead white men:

Ray Bradbury and Cordwainer Smith.

I didn't think too many readers remembered Cordwainer Smith, who I've found to be one of the most original writers in SF. I always enjoy rereading his work, especially Norstrilia and some of his stories.

Still wonder what I did with my paperback copy of Bradbury's The Halloween Tree, which was a delightful book that I bought decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:42 PM

33 posts, read 55,200 times
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by douglas Adams is still number one science fiction for me

Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Much overlooked Octavia E. Butler, some fantastic books, well depending upon your taste, but very acclaimed sci-fi author in some circles.

Really unusual stuff: but as I recently read some of her offerings, it made me think quite a few other books and a few movies I've seen over the years were taken right from her writings just very different faces put on them.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
I particularly love two of Octavia Butler's books - Wild Seed (part of the somewhat loosely connected Patternist series, though this one is pre-Pattern) and the fantastic Kindred. She was a brilliant and compelling writer.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I particularly love two of Octavia Butler's books - Wild Seed (part of the somewhat loosely connected Patternist series, though this one is pre-Pattern) and the fantastic Kindred. She was a brilliant and compelling writer.
Kindred was wonderful, I haven't yet read Wild Seed, but will get to it soon, It's one I've got on hold at my local library. I'm not one to usually make it a habit to pick up books in this genre. I was a fan of a few Anne Rice books back in the day. I stumbled upon Ms Butler's books only more recently, I was very surprised I hadn't heard more about the author because her stories were so familiar, especially Fledgling and Kindred, both reminded me of blockbuster movies over the past couple of decades. Fledgling was a bit disturbing, for similar reasons of a character like in "Interview With A Vampire". Just eww, for that bit of storyline, but, still I was compelled read the story through to the end, but eww, sorry, silly I know, but, it bothered me. Anyway, I may give Seed a look.

And yes, I know Ms Butler passed away a several years ago. RIP

Old 09-26-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Something dawned on me,if you've read it, do you think it would be better to read the newest version of the Seed series? Seed to Harvest? Just wonder what your thoughts might be on this. My library has that and I could switch my hold and read the entire series and one felt swoop, though in this newer version the series was put together in a different order for more of a time reference instead of the order in which the series was published.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:03 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I'd recommend just about anything by the late Robert A. Heinlein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein

Heinlein got is start in what would now be called "young adult" sci-fi; I devoured works like Have Space Suit; Will Travel as a teenager. But as his work developed in books like Red Planet and Farmer in the Sky, his admonition to question and distrust blind authority and its potential for misuse became ever more apparent; and those works took on more of a philosophic and sociologic content; Starship Troopers has some very strong material on militarism and the human capacity for violence.

(And one personal observation here; the starship in Troopers is the Roger Young, named for a real-life Ohio National Guardsman (Heinlein was a Navy veteran, but served during the Thirties) who won a posthumous Medal of Honor in the Pacific. As the Internet grew, references to the real Roger Young became easier to find.)

I've always thought of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, a scenario in which the moon, populated by rebels and outcasts, breaks away from a stagnant and overly Politically Correct earth, as Heinlein's finest work. But around the same time, Heinlein suffered a stroke. He recovered, but his work drifted away form its previous grounding. And perhaps appropriately, works like Glory Road and Stranger in a Strange Land, are his best-remembered today.

Heinlein? I can grok him!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:34 PM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Hi there, I am looking for some science fiction and fantasy literature to get in to? I have always liked these genre and I want to know get to know what other books there are? Do you know of any?
R.A Salvatore
Terry Brooks
Brandon Sanderson

Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
Brandon Sanderson
Amazon has been offering the The Way of Kings kindle book for free.

Wheeeee - 1000+ pages

Old 10-09-2014, 12:28 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,090 times
Some of my favorites:

Phillip K Dick
Robert Heinlein
Isaac Asimov
Alan Dean Foster
Laurell K Hamilton
Jim Butcher
Hugh Howey
Ramsey Campbell (more horror than sci fi/fantasty)
Maria V Snyder
Jacqueline Carey
George R R Martin
David Gerrold
Ray Bradbury
Harry Harrison
Christopher Moore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books