Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:45 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of the genre, but I really liked the first two books in Justin Cronin's trilogy, The Passage, and The Twelve. The final book is supposed to be out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I'm not a fan of this genre either but Forever by Pete Hamill knocked my socks off, thanks to Ketabcha. If you love New York -- oh, excuse me, if you *heart* NY -- you'll love this book.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:10 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I am not really sure what defines fantasy as I don't typically read it but I recently read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Really beautifully written and certainly had other realms of reality in it so I guess that is fantasy.
I have a hard time with the other realms and such but it was definitely a worthwhile read. I had mentioned that I could see it being a movie because the visuals were so well described------and a friend of mine told me it is being made into a movie.

I am currently reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children which I guess is a time travel or fantasy (just got to the time travel part)- this one really has me hooked. So different. Really enjoying it.

I envy you posters who read so quickly. I am usually too beat at night to read so I get my reading in early morning if there is time to spare.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
I've only read one but I liked it. It had a historical enchanted mystery thing going on.

Spy for a Dead Empire, Dan McClure

Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 PM

255 posts, read 219,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Hi there, I am looking for some science fiction and fantasy literature to get in to? I have always liked these genre and I want to know get to know what other books there are? Do you know of any?
I have never been big into the Fantasy genre. Obviously Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series (if it even falls into the category), but one that has absolutely captured my attention for the last couple of years have been the works of Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind, and its sequel The Wise Man's Fear. My wife idly picked up the first in a airport for something to read while waiting for her flight. Consequently I blame her .

The book (with the exception of interludes periodically spaced throughout) is basically a first person narrative of the main character (Kvothe) retelling his life to a traveling historian. Aside from the book being very well written, there is a level of creativity I have rarely come across. It seems like the story takes place in a time similar to the late 1700's or early 1800's. There is quite a lot of science involved as the Kvothe's primary source of income is working in "The University" artificery building various nick-nacks to be sold to travelers.

The books are replete with clever humor. One such example comes from The Wise Man's Fear. The tale's main antagonist (Ambrose Jakis) has the Kvothe dosed with an alchemical poison called "Plumbob" which basically strips away any and all moral/social/behavioral filters! Kvothe seeks help from a friend who studies such things, and a woman walks into the room and the Kvothe immediately says that he would give her all the money in his purse to see her naked for two minutes. The friend instantly steps in telling him that such is an inappropriate thing to say.

While there are spots that seem to be bogged down, and Kvothe's persistent wrestling with his demons, I found it to be well worth the time. Since I now have the book on audio, I have it almost running on a perpetual loop. Now I (and seemingly everyone who reads the book) am growing impatient for the final book to come out.

Take a chance, I doubt you will regret it. That goes for the rest of you all too!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:33 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
I don't usually like the books on awards lists, especially in the SF category.

I liked almost all of Orson Scott Card's books. Be warned that many of his are series, so make sure you get the first book if you decide to read him. Start with Ender's Game (1985) which should give you an idea if you like him.

It's been too long since I read SF and I can't remember the other authors I enjoyed. I'll try to remember to look at the library this week.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:05 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
I have never been big into the Fantasy genre. Obviously Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series (if it even falls into the category), but one that has absolutely captured my attention for the last couple of years have been the works of Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind, and its sequel The Wise Man's Fear. My wife idly picked up the first in a airport for something to read while waiting for her flight. Consequently I blame her .

[snip]

While there are spots that seem to be bogged down, and Kvothe's persistent wrestling with his demons, I found it to be well worth the time. Since I now have the book on audio, I have it almost running on a perpetual loop. Now I (and seemingly everyone who reads the book) am growing impatient for the final book to come out.

Take a chance, I doubt you will regret it. That goes for the rest of you all too!
Love love love The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Waiting for Book #3 is...arg...
However, Auri's story (a novella) came out this week.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Slow-Regar...+silent+things

Old 11-03-2014, 11:48 PM

255 posts, read 219,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Love love love The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Waiting for Book #3 is...arg...
However, Auri's story (a novella) came out this week.
The Slow Regard of Silent Things: Patrick Rothfuss: 9780756410438: Amazon.com: Books
Thank you! Now I know what to badger my wife about for my birthday.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:09 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Michael Crichton-Jurassic Park!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I enjoyed science fiction books written by Isaac Asimov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books