Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:13 AM

20 posts, read 19,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Never Tease a Weasel was a family favorite growing up, but I've met very few people who've ever heard of it: Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves: Never Tease a Weasel The illustrations are kind of dated, 60s-ish looking, but my sisters, parents and I will quote from it all the time ("Never tease a weasel/not even twice or thrice/the weasel will not like it/and teasing isn't nice.")

Loved that book as a kid!

I remember reading "The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew" and liking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Betsey, Tacy & Tib books by Maude Hart Lovelace; the story of three friends from early childhood to young womanhood set in the turn of the last century.
I loved Betsy, Tacy and Tib! My mom was a school teacher so I had to wait for her to finish at the end of the day before we could go home and I would always wait in the library. I know exactly on the shelf where those books were!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Some of my favorites were by Carol Ryrie Brink - Baby Island and Two are Better Than One.

In Baby Island, two young girls and four babies survive a shipwreck. The girls take care of the babies through all the perils and adventures that you would find on a tropical island. Not very realistic, but full of spunk and can-do attitude!

Two are Better than One was the story of two best friends who make up stories for their little pocket dolls, Lester and Lynette. More spunk!

I love this thread!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,327 times
I had a book and I don't remember the name (Can anyone help out?)--it was about a Grandpa Bunny who would paint beautiful eggs. One day he died, and the sky was painted just as beautifully as his eggs. It was a book to teach about death to children. I don't remember the name but I still remember how wonderful it was.

I also loved, loved, loved, "THe Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Haunted House" by Mary Chase about a snotty girl who actually goes back in time. Original title was Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden"

I read both of these books in the mid-1970s

Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Probably not obsure but much loved books

Singing Wheels and Singing Rails: The Alice and Jerry Books Reading Foundation Series

Also, *****(kitty) Willow and then there was a book about an Indian boy and tiger turning into butter.

Apparently the title was offensive????

I still have my Singning Wheels/Rails books in perfect condition!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:36 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
My sister and I read The Lonely Doll over and over. I still remember the cover of it. Only as an adult did I find that it was not an obscure book and was part of a series. http://www.booktryst.com/2011/10/mos...ldrens.htmlure s

Old 10-15-2014, 04:00 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,957 times
One of my very favorite books was called The Wednesday Witch, about a witch who rode a vacuum cleaner. I read it so many times, and wish I'd held on to it for my kids.

Just looking at the photo of it from Amazon brings back so many memories.

The Wednesday Witch: Ruth Chew: 9780590427616: Amazon.com: Books

Click image for larger version

Name:	witch.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	137703

Old 10-15-2014, 04:02 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
Don't know about their level of obscurity, but three of my favorites were:
The Pushcart War, a alt-future telling of a "historical" battle between trucks and pushcarts in NYC
Loved this book!

Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
ROM Spaceknight was an awesome comic book series.
In general there is no comparison between the wordy, plot-laden
comics of yesteryear with the junk they put out today.
There are always exceptions, however.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:58 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I loved Betsy, Tacy and Tib! My mom was a school teacher so I had to wait for her to finish at the end of the day before we could go home and I would always wait in the library. I know exactly on the shelf where those books were!
I am so very pleased that I am not the only one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books