U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 10:02 PM

8,854 posts, read 4,826,319 times

Advertisements

It is rather interesting that as the students at the university I work for prepare for finals week, I'm approaching some of my reading as if it is the first week of school.

Having cleared a major distraction from my life, hopefully permanently, I am now finding myself with a lot more open time (and am blinking as I realized how much time I wasted before) and my focus to getting my home built is returning.

So this evening I grabbed one of the many books I bought about house building off the shelf and started reading it. It's from 1976, it's usefulness is debatable, but it is like the start of a major project where you just start reading books related to the subject. It is not just to load up your mind with points here and there, but to condition the mind to be thinking about the subject.

With a major academic project, the funnel narrows as one moves on and that may be the case here.

But it is always so interesting to look back on such a project and just realize how much information one has been exposed to.........even if in this case, it will be longer than a semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 06:50 AM

4,529 posts, read 2,301,265 times
Good post, I just got done reading an article very similar to what your post is about. Here's a link. The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter

They are talking about business, but really it can be related to just about anything, like building a house. I own a restaurant and love business, I'm always wanting to learn more about business and how to make myself think smarter and make better decisions. I'm 27, I wasted a lot of my youth up into my early 20's just floating through life. I read a book a few years back, Thinking For a Change, and it has dramatically altered how I look at life. Basically, I just realized I had been going about life all wrong, but it helped lay out a path for me to follow for my self improvement. I love reading business/self improvement books. I truly believe reading leads to a higher quality of life. I don't read much fiction, mostly just the big hits like Hunger Games, Narnia, Hobbit/Lotr, etc.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 AM

8,854 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Well, more of it.

Been under the weather since Friday, well, New Year's but it only really hit when I got back on Friday, so it has been a lot of jet lag like sleep time.

So Saturday morning as I am tossing and turning, I pulled a Nevada Barr book off the shelf by my bed.....and just finished it about an hour ago. I'm better today but still taking today easy. Then, went to a set of shelves and "randomly" picked a Zahn book off it and started it. Will that be a moment of despair, the day a shelf is loaded with books already read?

As this is an easy day, I don't feel too guilty about it not being a serious book, but really, any book reading is probably better than hanging around the Net or TV.......here on a kitten break.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
I belong to a nonfiction book discussion group and we vote on the books we will read so sometimes I'm reading something I wouldn't normally pick to read on my own. That has its pluses and minuses. The plus is you are exposed to different things. The minus is that if you don't like the book, it takes time away from what you could be reading.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:31 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,533,560 times
And it goes without saying if you have kids make sure to gift them the 'gift of reading....always. Buy them a book and give it to them. Being a gift from you it will have great import. They will have that very important skill that for the rest of their lives.
Reading will expand their world and horizons! It did for me. As Dr Seuss says, "Oh the places you'll go!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or