Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 02:05 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,716,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Don't forget Led Zeppelin!
Stairway to Heaven by Richard Cole (The band's tour manager for about 10 years)
Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis
Actually, I did forget! Hammer of the Gods was one of the first ones I read. I also forgot to mention I've got "The One" about Jimi Hendrix. I haven't read much if it yet. Too many other priorities at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,002,018 times
I recently read My Friend Dahmer, a memoir in comics form by a cartoonist who went to high school with the infamous Jeffrey Dahmer.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Friend-Dahm.../dp/1419702173
Untitled Document

I also enjoyed another book, usually described as a graphic novel but with more history content than most historical novels: Stagger Lee - the story of a real-life murder and the songs and folklore that grew up around it and almost obscured it completely.

http://www.amazon.com/Stagger-Lee-De.../dp/1582406073
Stagger Lee

And a classic graphic autobiography, Alison Bechdel's Fun Home and the followup, Are You My Mother?

http://www.amazon.com/Fun-Home-A-Fam.../dp/0618871713
http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-My-Mot...APSPBG?ie=UTF8

Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 AM

43,323 posts, read 44,039,686 times
"My Life" by Golda Meir
http://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Golda-Meir/dp/0440156564

Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,285,754 times
"Walk to beautiful" by Jimmy Wayne.
Walk to Beautiful: The Power of Love and a Homeless Kid Who Found the Way by Jimmy Wayne | 9780849922107 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,231,303 times
The very best autobiography that I have ever read is Personal History by Katherine Graham.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:35 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,236,028 times
Run To The Hills: The Authorised Biography of Iron Maiden by Mick Wall.
The Dirt by Neil Strauss.
White Line Fever by Lemmy Kilmister.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,402 times
How about this one: "The Beatles Anthology"

Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,642,947 times
A long time ago, I read "The Education of Henry Adams", and since then I've never found an autobiography that could touch it. A wonderful "must read".

There is a spectacular autobiography ("My Struggle") of Norwegian author Karl Ove Knausgaard. The first 1300 pages or so has so far been translated into English. One of the more candid autobiographies

Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,716,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The central character in my novel will be a rock musician, so these would probably be of interest to me. So far, for musicians, I've read biographies about Janis Joplin [Pearl], Bob Dylan, Madonna [by Andrew Morton], Jim Morrison [No One Get Out Alive, by Hopkins & Sugerman], and Sam Cutler [You Can't Always Get What You Want] (tour manager for Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, etc.).
In addition to the Hammer of the Gods (about Led Zeppelin) and the bios listed above, I've also read:

Neon Angels - Cherrie Currie (lead singer for The Runaways)
A Reporter's Life - Walter Cronkite
The One: The Life and Music of James Brown (I've only read about 1/4 so far)
Neil Young: Waging Heavy Peace (read about 1/2 so far)

I also have (but have not yet read) Between You and Me - Mike Wallace

Some of these are fairly random because I just pick them off the bargain shelves or find them at rummage sales.

So far they have all be reasonably interesting and informative, but nothing wildly outstanding. I thought Sam Cutler's book had some pretty interesting insights, and Cherrie Currie's story was intense, but the writing was not all that great. I'm not going to try to review all of the one's I've read, but if anyone has a special interest in any of them, I could say a bit more about it.

I wish there was a bio about Joan Jett, but there doesn't seem to be any.

I'm also waiting for Rainbow in the Dark - the bio about Ronnie James Dio (heavy metal singer). It was supposed to be out a year ago, but it's not so far as I can see.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:54 PM

23,099 posts, read 28,825,029 times
In the past couple months:

Huey Long by T Harry Williams. Fascinating book and character from Louisiana. Always enjoy reading about how corrupt this country was at one time, more corrupt than Mexico!

Mellon by David Cannadine. Ah! These turn of the century corporate dynamo's! They were so lucky back then, no EPA or unions to battle with! In Pittsburgh, at one time, the air was so polluted you wouldn't dare open the windows of you houses! Lots of interesting history in this book, as well!

Titan, Life of John D Rockefeller by Ron Chernow. Another of these corporate dynamo's of that period! The story of his Father is one of the more interesting parts of the book, a full-blown scamster/criminal! He made lots of money posing as a Dr., and he was a quack Dr.!

J Edgar Hoover by Curt Gentry. I strongly advise anyone not, not, not to read this book unless you've got some powerful anti-depressants handy as you'll need them! And it's likely, even halfway thru the book, you'll cash in on all your assets, leave the country and never look back! Reading this book, it was like an AK-47 shooting bullets at me, continually! This book will give me a lifelong hangover! But, it was an eventuality, with the invention of that blasted device called the telephone! Yup! Just a decade in its invention/usage, they were dreaming/drooling over the idea of tapping telephones, and the technology finally arrived in the 1920's, and it's only accelerated from there! What Mr. Snowden had to say, was old, old news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books