Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:50 PM

26,603 posts, read 26,498,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My other favorite writers are Michael Connelly...
I just finished his most recent, The Burning Room. It was excellent. Now, a long wait until he writes another one. No one touches Connelly, from plot to characters to insight into human behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM

496 posts, read 391,223 times
Quote:
I just finished reading everything by Harlan Coben, whom I enjoyed enormously. I grew up in New Jersey, and enjoy reading about it as a setting. I've also read a new series by Brad Parks that takes place in a Newark newspaper. My other favorite writers are Michael Connelly, George Pelecanos, and Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, whose stories take place in Los Angeles. I've lived in Seattle, Portland, Pittsburgh, and New York as well. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a series I might read next?

I did not like Jack Reacher, nor any kind of militia/terrorism or dystopian future novels. Just mystery series. Thanks.
Jay, if you are still following this thread read Silent Scream by Angela Marsons. This is the first in a series. I enjoyed it immensely.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,835,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Jay,
Came across this old post. Wondering what your thoughts were on the Andy Carpenter series, one of my favorites!
I'm reading the entire series, SadieLu. I've got #8 and #12, I think, left. Obviously, I've enjoyed it, though the individual cases run together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
I just read Lescroart's latest, The Fall. He's another favorite of mine. Did you continue with his Dismas Hardy series?
I didn't enjoy him as much. I've probably read four of the Dismas Hardy books, and have forgotten about him.

I just discovered, and have read one book by, Joseph Finder. The book is called Suspicion, and I found it much more compelling than the Andy Carpenter books. I literally stayed up all night reading it. Suspicion - Kindle edition by Joseph Finder. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Jay, if you are still following this thread read Silent Scream by Angela Marsons. This is the first in a series. I enjoyed it immensely.
Thanks, Holly-Kay. I couldn't find anything by a writer named Angela Marsons in my library's catalogue. I did find a suspense-y looking book by that title by someone named Karen Rose, however, so I checked it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Have you tried Tana French? I think anyone who likes the authors listed by the OP would like her, too.

She has only written only five books (first one written in 2007) so far -- but they are all VERY good and involving and -- to me at least -- unpredictable.

She's Irish, and the novels also mainly take place in Ireland, so they are a bit different in style from most of the U.S. authors.
I've read several of her books, and I liked all but one of them. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBadger View Post
You will probably like the John Sandford "Prey" series. Pretty good detective fiction set in Minneapolis/St Paul area. Really good summer reads.
Did he write the book(s) Tom Cruise made a movie of sometime in the past five years?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:41 PM

496 posts, read 391,223 times
Quote:
I'm reading the entire series, SadieLu. I've got #8 and #12, I think, left. Obviously, I've enjoyed it, though the individual cases run together.

I didn't enjoy him as much. I've probably read four of the Dismas Hardy books, and have forgotten about him.

I just discovered, and have read one book by, Joseph Finder. The book is called Suspicion, and I found it much more compelling than the Andy Carpenter books. I literally stayed up all night reading it. Suspicion - Kindle edition by Joseph Finder. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Thanks, Holly-Kay. I couldn't find anything by a writer named Angela Marsons in my library's catalogue. I did find a suspense-y looking book by that title by someone named Karen Rose, however, so I checked it out.

I've read several of her books, and I liked all but one of them. Thanks.

Did he write the book(s) Tom Cruise made a movie of sometime in the past five years?
Jay, I think it may be a rather new book. I purchased it for the Kindle and I will include the link. Maybe your library would consider purchasing the book?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Asilent+scream

Also one of my absolute favorite suspense books is Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. I love that book. A bit of nostalgia and a lot of suspense.

Last edited by Holly-Kay; 06-12-2015 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: additional book recommendation

Old 06-13-2015, 09:22 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,835,490 times
Quote:
Jay, I think it may be a rather new book. I purchased it for the Kindle and I will include the link. Maybe your library would consider purchasing the book?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Asilent+scream
Hi, Holly, and thanks. The kindle version was only .99, so I bought it.

Quote:
Also one of my absolute favorite suspense books is Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. I love that book. A bit of nostalgia and a lot of suspense.
The author and title sound so familiar, yet, when I read the description on Amazon, I didn't think I'd read it. I'll try it. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books