Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here read this book- and if so, would you recommend it?

I thought I'd ask before forking over $ for it, because 2 books on the JFK assassination that were highly promoted were, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:03 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post

I thought I'd ask before forking over $ for it, because 2 books on the JFK assassination that were highly promoted were, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.
Go onto Amazon and read the reviews. I'm interested in that mystery too and I've gone onto Amazon and just reading the comments is sometimes even better than reading the book!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Rther than reading Amazon reviews, why don't you look for opinions from actual professional book reviewers?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Go onto Amazon and read the reviews. I'm interested in that mystery too and I've gone onto Amazon and just reading the comments is sometimes even better than reading the book!
Well, I finally got around to ordering a copy. Haven't received it yet.

When I posted previously about '2 other' books, one was "Oswald Talked"- quite a disappointment; but I can't for the life of me place what the other one was.

There's another good one I read ages ago, don't currently have a copy, the title is "A Texan Looks at Lyndon." A Texas journalist self-published it in 1964, but it's still available around the web.

And if you want some amazing info, check out "Dead Wrong"- the main author is Richard Belzer. There's tons of info in it that I hadn't read anywhere else. Although the formatting and errors are enough to make you tear your hair out, it's an excellent book.

I wouldn't go by reviews, though, because commenters can put their own bias into it.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Well, I finally got around to ordering a copy. Haven't received it yet.

When I posted previously about '2 other' books, one was "Oswald Talked"- quite a disappointment; but I can't for the life of me place what the other one was.

There's another good one I read ages ago, don't currently have a copy, the title is "A Texan Looks at Lyndon." A Texas journalist self-published it in 1964, but it's still available around the web.

And if you want some amazing info, check out "Dead Wrong"- the main author is Richard Belzer. There's tons of info in it that I hadn't read anywhere else. Although the formatting and errors are enough to make you tear your hair out, it's an excellent book.

I wouldn't go by reviews, though, because commenters can put their own bias into it.
I enjoy reading the comments because some of them are by people who have done extensive research on their own. I like seeing what they have to say. But not a review by a professional who writes book reviews, I mean by other people who are interested and may know things that I haven't read before.

Also, they suggest other good books. One review that I read a year or so ago was by a woman who said --and it sounded believable) that Oswald had been employed (forgot where) to deliver some sort of product and had a girlfriend who also worked there who knew stuff. That was before he went to Russia and met his wife. He wanted to be famous, he was not a dumbie, he hung out with underground figures and later worked for the CIA as a low level spy. When the CIA needed someone who wanted to be famous and who was cooperative, they may have chosen HIM. The underground figures liked him too. Both groups have been highly suggested as being involved with the assassination.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I enjoy reading the comments because some of them are by people who have done extensive research on their own. I like seeing what they have to say. But not a review by a professional who writes book reviews, I mean by other people who are interested and may know things that I haven't read before.

Also, they suggest other good books. One review that I read a year or so ago was by a woman who said --and it sounded believable) that Oswald had been employed (forgot where) to deliver some sort of product and had a girlfriend who also worked there who knew stuff. That was before he went to Russia and met his wife. He wanted to be famous, he was not a dumbie, he hung out with underground figures and later worked for the CIA as a low level spy. When the CIA needed someone who wanted to be famous and who was cooperative, they may have chosen HIM. The underground figures liked him too. Both groups have been highly suggested as being involved with the assassination.
Well, "Dead Wrong" does present some evidence to show Oswald was a patsy, not a shooter. I found it really interesting, because that's what I've always believed.
There was much re: forensics that wasn't known/available at the time, and also a lot of cover-ups. But the info in this book does seem to be based on facts.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:

Tia, I don't know about the book, but your post reminded me of a video I came across months ago that I had never seen before. Here's the link, and it is fascinating. It is short, and sort of grainy, but you can clearly see what appears to be one of the secret service agents (putting his hands in the air in a questioning gesture) being called away from the limo right before the shots are fired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUUYY3kLjUg

Of course, there are "debunkers" on there as well, who do not really explain this video, but mostly call other people names.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:55 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
my family believed that LBJ wanted that office so bad that he was involved in Kennedys assassination . I remember my mother crying and my dad saying "well that (expletive) finally got what he wanted " . I remember my aunt saying she was going to the church to light a candle for Jackie and her family . That assassination shook my whole family and household .My mother later took to calling Johnson , colonel corn pone . She could not stand Johnson texas accent .I just saw the news where the dr that worked on John Connelly passed away . I was a girl when this happened and I can still remember how it shook our family .

Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:

Do you know what the author is known for today? I'll give you a hint. He's on the TV news a lot these days where TV news hosts seek his insight on a man who may be president. I checked Wikipedia to make sure it's the same guy when I recognized his name.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Tia, I don't know about the book, but your post reminded me of a video I came across months ago that I had never seen before. Here's the link, and it is fascinating. It is short, and sort of grainy, but you can clearly see what appears to be one of the secret service agents (putting his hands in the air in a questioning gesture) being called away from the limo right before the shots are fired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUUYY3kLjUg

Of course, there are "debunkers" on there as well, who do not really explain this video, but mostly call other people names.
Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books