Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
dru

31 posts, read 288,433 times

Advertisements

I've heard good things about:

Goodreads | get book recommendations from people you know

In addition to allowing you to keep track of your books, it's pretty interactive. You can join groups, invite friends, and view what people/friends are currently reading. I don't use this site myself, but a lot of my bookworm friends seem to like it. Just thought I'd throw this out there as another option for organizing your reading stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Right now I used Goodreads.com.
I've only started it recently, but I like it. It's also a great way to get recommendations from your friends.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
Buying bokks and keeping the track record is diffuicult part .you have to comprehend the gist and write one or two page summary and later when you read the summary you will remember what you have read.

1 creating own library: is waste of money ( its boring and moreover you wont have place to keeps books , dirt etc)

2 just keep the track of book , from library

Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Here's a gentle hint, Rdslots. If you order bookplates or any, say 2" x 3", sticker from Expressionary, they do the printing for you!! No worry, no fuss.

I really like using them because you can order some very lovely graphics, or just an elegant metallic or floral border. Whatever strikes your fancy; it's yours.

The book borrower cannot claim that they didn't realize it was your book. It is plain to all just inside the cover.

I love this idea! Thank you!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I put a comment in the "What book are you reading" thread about the books Ive read. I can use the search function to go back and dig them out.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
I started an excel spreadsheet a few years ago. I list the books I have read by author and title. Excel will keep it alphabetized as you add new additions. When starting the list I had to try to remember books I had read over the years. The easiest way to do that is to name the authors that you like and then google them and look at the list of books they have written, then just add the ones you have read to your spreadsheet. You probably won't remember all of them, but it is a good start, and it is handy to be able to print the list and take it with me when the local public library has their annual sale. It keeps me from buying books that I already have (I have over 600). I think that when I move from this house I will leave most of the books behind for the new owner.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I use both my library (they have a website where you can look up which books you've borrowed) and FictFact - Track Your Fiction Book Series

Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 PM

122 posts, read 197,334 times
I read a hole lot an sometimes its hard to keep track of all my books. I used to keep a record on my computer in word format but then not to long ago it crashed, so then I lost everything. Lucky for me I also keep a back up of all the books I have read, bought, or borrowed to read, online at Barnes n noble. I just add it to my library page an it stays there, I don't worry about backing it up or losing it. You can open an account for free I believe.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
There is a program that my husband found for me recently, called "All my books." If you have a bar code reader, you can use it to read the isbn number on the book. It then comes up in the program with the photo of the book, title, author. Then you can keep a nice record of your books. You can also type in the isbn number by hand. It's a nice little program for keeping records.

I have another way, I have a notebook of all the books I currently have from A-Z and anytime i go anywhere, I take it with me, because I never know when I will be looking for books. Then if i can't remember if I have the book or not, I can check my notebook. It comes in really handy and I never buy duplicates again like I have in the past. I only wish I would have started the record keeping years ago.

Now as to all the books i have read in my life, I wish I had kept track, but I sometimes do like some others do in here: Get a third or halfway through and realize I already read it before. Then I toss it in the giveaway/sell box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books