Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 04:25 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times

Advertisements

I don't think that I have actually yet read any "post-apocalyptic" books, [even though I loved-and never forgot... the movie Soylent Green],except for Last Light (The Restoration Series Book 1)by Terri Blackstock,but I hated the main family!

Also my daughter in TN and I were getting the 12-book series of Left Behind[about Earth during and after the Rapture]as fast as they came into our libraries,reserving them two at a time,and reading them back-to-back together.Caused us both to have some wild dreams,lol!

I just got this Kindle freebie the other day because I also love to get the beejeebers scared out of me by reading about natural/weather disasters!

It is still free right now~Extinct by Ike Hamill

Channel Two predicted a blanket of snow for Thanksgiving weekend--unusual, but not alarming for the little Maine island. What comes is a blinding blizzard, and a mass disappearance of nearly every person Robby Pierce knows. He and his family flee, trying to escape the snow and the invisible forces stealing people right from the street.
Miles away, Brad Jenkins battles the same storm. Alone, he attempts to survive as snow envelops his house. When the storm breaks, Brad makes his way south to where the snow ends and the world lies empty. Join Brad, Robby, and the other survivors as they fight to find the truth about the apocalypse and discover how to live in their new world.

Extinct (Volume 1): Ike Hamill: 9780692283813: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:42 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
McCarthy is such a master of the English language, as well as an intense storyteller. But the words 'bleak and 'horrific' are far too little to describe the emotional impact of this book. Still, it is utterly brilliant.
Agreed. I enjoy McCarthy, but the man's refusal to use proper punctuation irks me to no end. No one likes a smartypants. I hate affected false originality. But there's no doubt the man is a brilliant storyteller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The Stand by Stephen King
The post-apocalyptism is brilliant - but the supernatural stuff is mostly a yawner.
I liked nearly all the supernatural stuff until the end. The ending is a literal and blatant deus ex machina. I think King got to the ending, couldn't figure out how to fix it, so said, "Argh! God saves everyone! The end!"

WORLD WAR Z was lots of fun. The book is very, very, very different than the movie --- and much better. If you can find it, get the full cast audiobook. Very well done. In fact, it might even be on youtube.

I AM LEGEND. Better than any film adaption. And one of the greatest endings of any horror book. This book has had more influence on the last 50 years of horror movies than any other story.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:36 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

I just got this Kindle freebie the other day because I also love to get the beejeebers scared out of me by reading about natural/weather disasters!

It is still free right now~Extinct by Ike Hamill

Channel Two predicted a blanket of snow for Thanksgiving weekend--unusual, but not alarming for the little Maine island. What comes is a blinding blizzard, and a mass disappearance of nearly every person Robby Pierce knows. He and his family flee, trying to escape the snow and the invisible forces stealing people right from the street.
Miles away, Brad Jenkins battles the same storm. Alone, he attempts to survive as snow envelops his house. When the storm breaks, Brad makes his way south to where the snow ends and the world lies empty. Join Brad, Robby, and the other survivors as they fight to find the truth about the apocalypse and discover how to live in their new world.

Extinct (Volume 1): Ike Hamill: 9780692283813: Amazon.com: Books
Reminds me of Ashfall by Mike Mullin - except instead of snow ... the Yellowstone caldera explodes.

♪♫Ashes, ashes, the world falls down ...♫♪

Old 05-09-2015, 01:58 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Reminds me of Ashfall by Mike Mullin - except instead of snow ... the Yellowstone caldera explodes.

♪♫Ashes, ashes, the world falls down ...♫♪

OMG, you know that immediately went on my ToBeReadNow list,and already put it on reserve at my library! Sounds great,thanks!When I can rep you again,I'll be back.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,261 times
Just found this thread and was surprised that a very early 1950 book called Earth Abides by George Stewart was not mentioned. Excellent read

Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 AM

364 posts, read 277,521 times
I picked up Alas,Babylon for a quarter the other day.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM

377 posts, read 670,390 times
[quote=Electrician4you;39487097]Reading Zombie Fallout my Mark Tufo right now but off the top of my head
/QUOTE]

Another vote for Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo. I really enjoyed the series and can't wait for the next one to come out! I also just finished book one and two of his Lycan Fallout series.

Other fun books along these lines are: Zombie Rules by David Achord, the Broken World Series by Kate L. Mary (Mad World, Lost World, Shattered World, Broken World) Angelfall, World After and End of Days by Susan Ee, and the 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.

Also another vote for One Second After. Lights Out was pretty good too. I also enjoyed the Survivalist Series by A. American (Going Home, Surviving Home, etc.) It's fun reading but not deep reading or anything. I pretty much went on an EMP attack binge reading session last year lol.

Although I enjoyed all of the aforementioned I guess they really wouldn't be considered my favorite books.

I really liked The Road, On the Beach and The Stand too. These are definitely more in the running for best post-apocalyptic book.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM

560 posts, read 849,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Avocado View Post
Also another vote for One Second After. Lights Out was pretty good too. I also enjoyed the Survivalist Series by A. American (Going Home, Surviving Home, etc.) It's fun reading but not deep reading or anything. I pretty much went on an EMP attack binge reading session last year lol.

Although I enjoyed all of the aforementioned I guess they really wouldn't be considered my favorite books.
Had to chuckle at that Rusty Avocado! I so understand - I went on a virus and/or alien caused zombie break-out binge-reading session a few months back. I think I burned out, cause then I went searching for books on acquired savant syndrome and followed another path for a while.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
One book that hasn't been mentioned yet is On The Beach, a post nuclear war post-apoc that was written quite realistically. It was a massive best seller in the 50s, and was made into an equally popular movie. It's much more a psychological drama as anything, and in it's time quite controversial, as there was no getting out of this alive for anyone in the book. That was something at that time that everyone though of but didn't want to talk about.
I was a kid when I read it, but I connected with all the characters, and though bleak and dismal, it was still a very enjoyable read.
Yep. Oldie but goodie and given the time when it was written, it was as cautionary a tale as there was. Bonus is that it was very well written, unlike some of the more modern post-apoc stuff. Of the two movies, the original was better, IMO, as it reflected the times. The remake was OK, but a bit too much fluff.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:48 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
S.M. Stirling The Change series. They are an interesting read but at times I feel he gets bogged down in too much detail. His research is very thorough however at times I wish he would move the story along. Plus, the books always make me feel guilty when I'm shopping at the supermarket and see how much we take for granted lol. I'm struggling through the third book. Hubby is in his second reread of the whole series. Thought I would mention it.

The Stand was one of my favorites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books