Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:47 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,338 times

Advertisements

My absolute favorite fantasy series so far is the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs. Of course, I also love her Mercy Thompson series.

I'm trying to find some other good series like that. I've read a few and will list them below - there's some I like or love, and then there's some that just really did not work for me. I've looked at a few websites like Goodreads to get some suggestions, but I know there must be some other series out there I haven't heard of. I'd love any and all recommendations that you guys have.

Fantasy series I like/love:
Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series, and Mercy Thompson series
Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, Harper Connelly series, and her new Midnight Texas trilogy
Kim Harrison's The Hollows/Rachel Morgan series

Series that I'm tepid towards:
Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series
Eileen Wilks' World of Lupi series (I've read #1 and #2 so far)
Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series (starting with Bitten)
Rachel Vincent's Shifter series

Series I don't like at all:
Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series
Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson/Guardian series

Not interested in books like:
Twilight series
Young Adult series - aimed more towards teenagers

There are probably a few others that I can't remember right now, but that's a pretty good list to begin with. Again, my absolute favorites are by Patricia Briggs, and I really wish she would just knock out a new book every month - somehow, I think that may be asking too much of any writer, though.

When I say I'm tepid towards a series, what I mean is that I'm still reserving judgement. I've read about 4 of the Kate Daniels series, two of the World of Lupi series, two of the Otherworld series, and three of the Shifter series - and while they're interesting enough for me to continue reading, I'm not counting down the days until I receive a new book to read in the series.

I prefer werewolf or shifter stories, although obviously my top favorites include all sorts of paranormal characters. I'm not into stories where the main focus seems to be on sex 24/7. A good hot scene is a good hot scene - lord knows Charlaine Harris knows how to write a hot scene - but when a book seems to be all sex all the time, I'm just not interested.

Anyhow - this was long enough. Recommendations? Please???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times
Wen Spencer's Ukiah Oregon Series
"Abandoned as a child, Ukiah Oregon was found running with a wolf pack. Now considered one of the greatest trackers in the country, this private investigator puts his nose to the ground to track down missing fugitives. When he crosses paths with a criminal gang called the Pack, Ukiah discovers just how much he has in common with the Pack. The Ukiah Oregon series is a blend of Science Fiction, Mystery and Suspense. It will appeal to fans of X-Files or Fringe. Compton Crook award winning series."
1) Alien Taste
2) Tainted Trail
3) Bitter Waters
4) Dog Warrior

Wen Spencer's Elfhome series. I haven't read the 4th yet.
"Tinker lives in a near-future Pittsburgh which now exists mostly in the land of the elves. She runs her salvage business, pays her taxes, and tries to keep the local ambient level of magic down with gadgets of her own design. When a pack of wargs chase an Elven noble into her scrap yard, life as she knows it takes a serious detour..."
1) Tinker
2) Wolf Who Rules
3) Elfhome
4) Woodsprites

Old 05-05-2015, 01:56 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Here's a couple series -

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Start with Storm Front

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Start with Hounded

The Felix Castor series by Mike Carey. Start with The Devil You Know

The Monster Hunter International series or The Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia and if you are feeling truly adventurous the wonderfully demented Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. Not for the faint of heart. Start with Sandman Slim

Old 05-06-2015, 03:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
You might consider Jennifer Ashley's shifter series, it's one of my favorites.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Rowan123 - I actually ordered Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley yesterday - it'll arrive tomorrow so I'll see how I like it.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Rowan123 - I actually ordered Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley yesterday - it'll arrive tomorrow so I'll see how I like it.
Hope it's a winner for you.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,487 times
Have you tried Diana Galbadon's Outlander series?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Have you tried Diana Galbadon's Outlander series?
Ha. Yes. I'm "Outlander Obsessed" (my forum status). I only really liked the first book, though. If all the books took place in Scotland, I might like them, too.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM

Have you tried the Spellsong Cycle series by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.? Here's a link to the first book The Soprano Sorceress on the Goodreads website. Some people like it, some don't - but I thoroughly enjoyed it and recently reread it.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:14 PM

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of this author. I haven't read any of his works since sometime in the 90's and CRS (can't remember sh*t). Anyways his name popped into my head today I've always meant to read more of his books, so I've now added him to my "to be read" list of authors!

Have you read any of Charles de Lint's books? I really enjoyed Someplace to be Flying and Moonlight and Vines which is a short story collection. Normally I don't like short stories, but I did enjoy this book. He also writes some juvenile fiction, so you'll need to do some background checking before starting. His work is classed as urban fantasy so I hope you will enjoy reading his books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books