Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:32 AM

58 posts, read 57,522 times

Advertisements

Anybody like these, titles like Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Boxcar Children, Happy Hollister's, The Bobbsey Twins. The list goes on. Not to mention the Little House books. Any favs, share them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:01 PM

19,649 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Some of my favorites of more than 25 years ago:

Trixie Belden series, Donna Parker series, Betty Cavanaugh books, the Beverly Cleary Ramona books, all the Alcott books, Anne of Green Gables, Calico Captive, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson, Charlotte's Web, the Ginnie and Geneva books, and Tom Sawyer (although i think that one is just as much for adults as kids!).

I also liked the Little House books and Nancy Drew.

My kids (born in 1993 and 1991) also liked Indian in the Cupboard, and my husband liked the C.S. Lewis "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" series, as well as The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy when he was a boy.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:59 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,246,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Some of my favorites of more than 25 years ago:

Trixie Belden series, Donna Parker series, Betty Cavanaugh books, the Beverly Cleary Ramona books, all the Alcott books.
Oh my word! I enjoyed Trixie Belden. I loved anything and everything written by Betty Cavanaugh, but Beanie ones were the best

Add Frank L. Baum to your list. All of his Oz books were wonderful.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM

58 posts, read 57,522 times
I read some of Trixie Belden too. They were so good. Havent read any of Oz's books yet.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:45 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,786,235 times
I remember reading all of Nancy Drew and the Little House books. I also liked A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. There was some book about a dolphin I read in elementary school that I loved. I can never recall the title or author.

I have read so many books for so long that they all run together.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:14 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,551,422 times
Vintage books aren't the same thing as series, you know.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:40 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,770,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzyzekes View Post
Anybody like these, titles like Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Boxcar Children, Happy Hollister's, The Bobbsey Twins. The list goes on. Not to mention the Little House books. Any favs, share them here.
Once upon a time I liked them. My favorites were the Bomba The Jungle Boy books. These were supposedly written by Roy Rockwood, but in fact were produced by the various writers at the Stratemeyer Syndicate, the same group that produced the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books (and, yes, Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Dixon were entirely fictional as well).

The Little House books are actually decent literature. The others? Not so much. But I believe in young children reading and loving to read, and if crap books serve as 'gateway writing' that leads them to more serious writing, then it's all good...

Old 06-06-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

FROM MERRIAM WEBSTER ON-LINE DICTIONARY:

Full Definition of VINTAGE

of wine : of, relating to, or produced in a particular vintage
: of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : classic
a : dating from the past : old
b : outmoded, old-fashioned

As the series mentioned in the above posts contain books, I would say that the books in the series ARE vintage. (jmho)

Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I remember reading all of Nancy Drew and the Little House books. I also liked A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. There was some book about a dolphin I read in elementary school that I loved. I can never recall the title or author.

I have read so many books for so long that they all run together.
Are you, by any chance, thinking of Island of the Blue Dolphins? I don't think it was really about a dolphin, but this was a very popular book in the 1960's.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:33 PM

26,659 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
True....I was thinking that the OP meant something along the lines of rare or antique books for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books