Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times

Advertisements

Too many to name. Any Russian lit namely Dostoevsky (superfulous man please ), Gogol, Pushkin, anything by Freud, Faulkners "As I Lay Dying" I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I find the question difficult to answer. In my experience, every book offers stimulation... offering insights into existence... bricks, if you will. . .

They're all equally stimulating. . .

This was the very thing I was trying to say in my earlier post. I find everything I read 'stimulating' -- perhaps it is the very act of reading that is stimulating? The difference is in how much stimulation, but I have had a hard time wrapping my head around that, as I did when the question was presented as to the 5 best books I had ever read. I no sooner come up with a title, than what it pales in comparison to another, and then that one to another, and so on. . . until I am at a total loss to even approach the question.

So frustrating, and so unlike me.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
I have thought about this question quite a bit over the weeks since the thread started. While I would like to say that those books written by brilliant philosophers and big-thinkers stimulate me the most, I cannot.

To me, the most stimulating books have been the ones with a message no matter how subtle or blaring it may be. Books that teach me something about life and the lives of others who have conquered great hardship, obstacles, abuse, or loss always stimulate me to the point of living the book for weeks or months.

One such book off the top of my head was a recent forum Book Club selection, A Thousand Splendid Suns. It had nothing to do with the talent of the author, although I do enjoy his style, nothing to the general subject - like in the new Afghanistan. It was the fact that I learned for the first time in an emotional, in-the-gut way what living in a culture so far removed from our own must truly be like.

It gives one an entirely different perspective than reading the newspaper or watching Charley Gibson every night could ever convey. I have a different facet of myself as a result of this enlightening book - and so many others like it.

Hit me with something I didn't know before, something to wake me up to the world, something to make me a better individual. I'll read it.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:34 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
I loved the mathematics of oz but I think thats a bit of a cheat because its a whole book on solving logical problems.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
I always need a pad of paper and dictionary when reading Howard Zinn.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:08 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
God A Biography
Anything by Ayn Rand
Sexual Personae
Anything by Sade
A Brief History of Time
Anything by Jung

Old 12-30-2010, 03:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,472 times
philosophical texts usually do the trick if you don't care about the literary aspect of a work. Hegel, schopenhauer, kierkegaard, nietzsche (although you might want a reader/guide to have with you because it's really easy to misinterpret him and think you understand...but he will definately make you think), kant, *leibniz, *spinoza, heidegger, sartre, even dostoevsky and tolstoy, kafka, aristotle's nichomachean ethics, all of plato is worth your time, descarte's meditations...there's a lot we haven't read...
good things to think about:
what is their definition of soul? note that the soul does not have to be immaterial (like in the case of nietzsche)
Nietzsche's eternal recurrence is a thought experiment meant for the slave morality type or the nihilist, or both? Who is the tight rope walker (what does it symbolize?) why are nietzsche's overmen courageous (eagle) rather than wise (serpent)? why is the overman the dancer? how can a free spirit create values when he knows that there is no real meaning inherent in them? what does nietzsche mean by 'the world is only justified as aesthetic phenomenon?' how does a master morality differ from a slave morality? Could only a master morality exist?
how does heidegger use the question of being to get to the question of meaning? what is the difference between the 'who' and the 'what'?
what is aristotle's proud man/virtuous man? how does it differ from nietzsche's overman?
there's a lot of good questions that arise from philo

Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 AM

story of philosophy by will durant

Old 12-30-2010, 03:38 AM

la coscienza di Zeno (in italian though)

Old 12-30-2010, 03:40 AM

maybe kundera (not too stimulating but still stimulating)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books