Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 AM

54 posts, read 304,653 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed reading the posts in 'the 5 best books you've read', and it got me to wondering, what books make for great discussions during a book club. For instance, My Sister's Keeper got our book club into a spirited discussion about choices, etc.
So, any recommendations??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,415,705 times
My experience with book clubs is that the best discussions came from books we, as a group, agreed to read.

We would let each member make suggestions, then vote on a title. The member whose book was selected was generally 'responsible' for the discussion, and we were pretty good about doing some background reading on the author, the work in particular, other works, and other relevant topics, like perhaps the setting (if it mattered) or the time frame, etc. We tried not to make members feel like they had to do all of that, because some became hesitant to make a suggestion, thinking it just made more work for them in the event their book was selected.

With all of the stuff easily available over the internet these days, you can often find suggestions for selections, and reading guides.

Sometimes, we combined a meal, either at a member's home or a restaurant, or some 'experience' with the book, like viewing the film version. One club I was in chose to read Jurassic Park years ago, and then we went to the theater to see it. Later we talked about both. That was fun.

Probably one of the best times we had was choosing a local author's work. Because she had a fondness for educators (her Dad had been one), the author agreed to join us. We had dinner together, appropriate to the book, and then let her answer questions and discuss the work. The members all contributed some $, and we presented her with a gift card to a local restaurant as a means of saying thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM

313 posts, read 1,049,662 times
I belong to a book club that consists of all women. I think our best discussions were about Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,117,597 times
A friend just told me about Eat Pray Love...said she's going to give it to me when she's done cause I will want it. She's never done that before!

Poisonwood Bible is the most "discussable" book I've ever read.

What's a good discussion without some contraversy??

Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 AM

883 posts, read 3,706,201 times
Default What are the best types of books for book clubs?

I'm thinking of starting one, but I know a lot of the women I would want in the club wouldn't go for the more serious types of books that seem to be popular with book clubs. What are some other options? Most of them are busy moms, and they want light, easy reads.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,593,839 times
I am enjoying Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM

22 posts, read 66,335 times
John Edward's One Last Time. It'd be fun to see people's reactions.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,117,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I'm thinking of starting one, but I know a lot of the women I would want in the club wouldn't go for the more serious types of books that seem to be popular with book clubs. What are some other options? Most of them are busy moms, and they want light, easy reads.
(this is the problem with my book club, half want deep thought inspiring books, half want something light and fun, and maybe with a movie version if they run out of time!)

How about Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister?? It was a fairly light book, a bit silly but not told that way, and an interesting spin.

Or The Joy Luck Club. Not my favorite Amy Tan (only because the others are soooo good, not because this one wasn't good). Also easy to read, and although many of the charachters and settings are of another culture, they are such timeless human issues that make you feel the charachters.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM

7 posts, read 29,776 times
I just finished an advance copy of a book that would be awesome for a book club. With prostitution in the headlines these days (Spitzer) and many heated debates about the legality of it all, "An Island Away" by Daniel Putkowski explores the red light district in Aruba. The book certainly opened my eyes. I understand now how and why some women turn to the world's oldest profession. Very interesting book, it raises alot of questions ... I think it's on sale in May in paperback

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,609,929 times
I think that there can be different kinds of books for book discussion groups..or maybe different discussion groups for different kinds of books! there are the more serious books, as listed on the book club list on this site, or books that are not so deep. For a while, our library had the serious group and started a separate "Come for a mystery, stay for dessert"group. these were light-hearted mysteries, some with food themes. the couple of librarians would make a few different desserts and everyone just chatted, snacked and enjoyed themselves. it was fun, but due to budget constraints, they had to cut this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books