Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:09 PM

371 posts, read 256,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have to admit I can't really figure out how to use Goodreads. It sounds so good, but I can't see how to use it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Ha! Me too.
I am pretty much an expert since I am ADDICTED to GR since finding it 3 years ago...ask away if you want I can help all I can. I will say pretty much to get started. Add ANY book you have read and if you want you can create shelves to separate them and I have found it also helps into giving you more recommendations. Once you are done adding it will ask you to rank some books and it will also ask you if you are interested in certain ones so it can get a feel for what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 04:30 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,300,257 times
Quote:
I have to admit I can't really figure out how to use Goodreads. It sounds so good, but I can't see how to use it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Ha! Me too.
I was like that too until I finally took the time to sign up and added some of my books. Since then, like Nomad, I am addicted.

It really is a great site and there are all kinds of groups you can join to either participate in or just get new recommendations.

Give it a try…you'll like it once you try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
I am pretty much an expert since I am ADDICTED to GR since finding it 3 years ago...ask away if you want I can help all I can. I will say pretty much to get started. Add ANY book you have read and if you want you can create shelves to separate them and I have found it also helps into giving you more recommendations. Once you are done adding it will ask you to rank some books and it will also ask you if you are interested in certain ones so it can get a feel for what you like.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,973,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I was like that too until I finally took the time to sign up and added some of my books. Since then, like Nomad, I am addicted.

It really is a great site and there are all kinds of groups you can join to either participate in or just get new recommendations.

Give it a try…you'll like it once you try it

I did add a bunch of titles that I have read. So what happens after that?

Old 11-10-2015, 04:35 PM

4,707 posts, read 4,370,172 times
Me too Silibran. I have listed lots of books, and I dont seem to get recommendations ........or if I do they are not well received.....
we need a tutorial!!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:22 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,808,587 times
After you join goodreads and create your profile... at the top of every page you will see...
Home My Books Groups Recommendations Explore across the top. When you click on "Recommendations" it will take you to a page/pages with recommendations based on your bookshelves ie....[ "My Favorite Reads","To Read Titles","Cozy Mystery",ect] the genres you have listed as your favorites in your profile for your profile page.

Here are some links that may help~ How to Use Goodreads: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodreads

Be sure to click on "Groups", and join groups that interest you, and save those groups in your favorites/bookmarks in a goodreads folder that you have created. I would also suggest creating a Listopia at goodreads folder, to keep your Listopia lists in, which are lists of books that fit particular genres, and subgenres, such as one that I created~Best Clean Non Religious Romance
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...gious_Romance?
page=4&type=list

and check out my group~Clean,Secular/Non Religious,Reads [all genres]
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show...eligious-reads

You can also create your own Listopia lists, and/or groups.

Hope that helps! P.S.I am C.Hall on goodreads.

Oh- and after you Join a group, be sure to click on the "Edit" button and scroll down to the Upcoming Book Reminder Emails, and click on "no reminder" if you don't want your inbox filled with notices!

You will still see any important group info/activity info posted in your notifications,when you click on the little 'g' which is to the right of the 'Explore' button on the top of any page.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-11-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-11-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
After you join goodreads and create your profile... at the top of every page you will see...
Home My Books Groups Recommendations Explore across the top. When you click on "Recommendations" it will take you to a page/pages with recommendations based on your bookshelves ie....[ "My Favorite Reads","To Read Titles","Cozy Mystery",ect] the genres you have listed as your favorites in your profile for your profile page.

Here are some links that may help~ How to Use Goodreads: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodreads

Be sure to click on "Groups", and join groups that interest you, and save those groups in your favorites/bookmarks in a goodreads folder that you have created. I would also suggest creating a Listopia at goodreads folder, to keep your Listopia lists in, which are lists of books that fit particular genres, and subgenres, such as one that I created~Best Clean Non Religious Romance
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...gious_Romance?
page=4&type=list

and check out my group~Clean,Secular/Non Religious,Reads [all genres]
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show...eligious-reads

You can also create your own Listopia lists, and/or groups.

Hope that helps! P.S.I am C.Hall on goodreads.

Oh- and after you Join a group, be sure to click on the "Edit" button and scroll down to the Upcoming Book Reminder Emails, and click on "no reminder" if you don't want your inbox filled with notices!

You will still see any important group info/activity info posted in your notifications,when you click on the little 'g' which is to the right of the 'Explore' button on the top of any page.
Thanks a lot! I'll try this stuff. I always thought GoodReads was a good idea, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,808,587 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot! I'll try this stuff. I always thought GoodReads was a good idea, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it.
You are most welcome, just be prepared to become addicted, and for your TBR list to 'explode',lol!

Old 11-11-2015, 06:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
I wander through the bookstore and whatever catches my attention I make the purchase and take it home.
We also have a kindle and I get a lot of the sewing, quilting and cookbooks I read on there which comes in very handy when I am at the market or the fabric shop.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:37 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,955,904 times
I go to Half Price Books and browse. All kinds of cool and interesting finds there.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 PM

OK, I created a Good Reads profile. Some time back I added a bunch of titles that I have read. What do I do with them? And what does Good Reads do for me anyway? It seems like it is just a bunch of book titles. It is overwhelming, and I can't imagine what to do with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books