Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:23 AM

323 posts, read 346,343 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am an avid reader of cozy mystery series. I love those set before the 1940s and am now caught up on all of my favorite series (yikes!!!). I have read the following series:
  • Bess Crawford by Charles Todd
  • Ian Rutledge by Charles Todd
  • Gaslight Series by Victoria Thompson
  • Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
  • Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

Do you have any recommendations for other series I should try out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 PM

301 posts, read 823,665 times
I have read all of both the series by Charles Todd and enjoyed them, although I think the Ian Rutledge set is better than the Bess Crawford set.

I really think you would enjoy Anne Perry's William Monk series and her Charlotte & Thomas Pitt set. Check them out!

Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM

301 posts, read 823,665 times
If you haven't read any Agatha Christie, especially the Miss Marple series, you really should. They are very good! There is a reason that Agatha Christies is so widely read - she is the original cozy mystery!

Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Not historical, but the Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith might be up your alley.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:54 PM

Thank you all so much! Great suggestions!

Has anyone read the Charles Lennox series?

Oh and btw, I too enjoy Ian Rutledge a bit more than Bess. Have you read No Shred of Evidence yet?

Old 02-25-2016, 05:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Victoria Thompson writes the Gaslight Mystery series and it is excellent. One of the few that I actually pay full price for on the day that her books come out. If you decide to check her books out, start with the first one: Murder on Astor Place.

I just came across OrderOfBooks.com and they have recommendations based on authors that you read and recommendations for new authors.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:59 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,198 times
My husband and I are huge fans of the Charles Lennox series- great stories!

I don't think the Maggie Hope mysteries by Susan Elia MacNeal qualify as cozies as they are a bit gritty- set in London around the time of WWII- but they are well written and suspenseful. I have loaned them to several friends who all raved.

Also, Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series is contemporary- set in a little Quebec village- but there are amazing characters and I would recommend those as well.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Victoria Thompson writes the Gaslight Mystery series and it is excellent. One of the few that I actually pay full price for on the day that her books come out. If you decide to check her books out, start with the first one: Murder on Astor Place.

I just came across OrderOfBooks.com and they have recommendations based on authors that you read and recommendations for new authors.
Thank you for the website - that's awesome! I have been reading the Gaslight series for years and LOVE it. Victoria Thompson is a fantastic writer...I get sucked into the story every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
My husband and I are huge fans of the Charles Lennox series- great stories!

I don't think the Maggie Hope mysteries by Susan Elia MacNeal qualify as cozies as they are a bit gritty- set in London around the time of WWII- but they are well written and suspenseful. I have loaned them to several friends who all raved.

Also, Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series is contemporary- set in a little Quebec village- but there are amazing characters and I would recommend those as well.
Yeah, I read the first Maggie Hope book and it was ok, but just felt strange. I don't know what it was about it that I didn't like, but it just didn't appeal to me.

I downloaded the first Charles Lennox this morning so I'm looking forward to starting it this weekend.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 AM

446 posts, read 709,391 times
Run right out and get every 'Nero Wolfe' book by Rex Stout you can find.

You can thank me later. You're going to love these. There's 46, I've read them all three times.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:06 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I don't typically do mysteries or series, but on another forum someone recommended Miss Dimple and I guess I just like the name. I just started Miss Dimple Suspects by Mignon Ballard. It seems to be 3rd in a series.
Very cozy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books