Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Apart from the books that my book group votes for (how we pick discussion books), I usually scan Amazon's "new releases" in non-fiction, read the summary, look at the page count and then pick books where the subject interests me. I like event oriented nonfiction and demographics type books. I don't like philosophy, self-help or theory in non-fiction, can't stand books about our forefathers and I steer clear of "girl books" in nonfiction. If I like an author's previous book, I'll take a chance on the next one.

I always call nonfiction, The Colon Books, because they can't seem to tell people what their books are about unless they throw down a colon and add to the title. (Made up example: "The Hot Potato War: How X Took on Y in the Bloodiest Conflict Since ABC")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 03:39 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'd say that around 99% of my choices are based on reviews or knowledge of the author.

About the only example I can think of where I was specifically struck by the cover was The Handmaid's Tale.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
A cover can draw me to a book, but it's ultimately the synopsis that will be the deciding factor on whether or not I read it.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:04 AM

111 posts, read 115,828 times
I usually browse through GoodReads and see what is recommended for someone who read e.g. Lord of the Rings. Then I check that and usually end up with a bunch of new titles for further investigation.

Or just last week I suddenly felt a need to read some horror/thriller story that would take place in the South or talk about voodoo. The only idea I had of something I read before and enjoyed the climate was Harry Angel. So I just asked Google. After a while of intense browsing I ended up reading Anne Rice Witch Hour and so far I am satisfied. Worth mentioning - I didn't bother to look up those books' covers at all.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:30 AM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelofogo View Post
id that "you can't judge a book by its cover," and yet this is what book jacket designers do: pull you into the plot description on the flap or the back cover. Does it work? When you select a book, what draws you first? What commits you? And what, if anything, causes you to share it with others?
I didn't really judge a book by its covers. But a bad cover would really dim my interest for a book. For example: the covering art of Lord of the flies quenched my desires to read it.

And I wouldn't share that novel with the others ever. Because passing a portrait of a swine head around was too extreme for me.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
I too check the cover and synopsis of a book, mostly for originality.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I glance at the cover only to see if the author's name is larger than the title which tells me it is probably crap, then end papers, then footnotes/bibliography, then table of contents, then read the 1st few lines of the first few paras for each chapter. Then decide if it is worth buying if it appears well written with solid sources and treats the subject matter in a manner I have not seen before.

But the art means nothing to me.

I have learned artwork is very important for some buyers. Impulse types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books