Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
For what it's worth, Lewis would STRONGLY disagree with your statement. Don't judge all of Christendom through the lens of American evangelicalism.

Since you raised the subject of Lewis, I really think you ought to give Mere Christianity a try. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you find.
I have tried to read parts of it. The fact that so many evangelicals like him is difficult to get past. His appeal actually seems to be mainly from evangelicals, and not liberal Christians. Am I wrong?

By the way I am really fond of George Macdonald who supposedly influenced him. But he was a Universalist Christian. I'm pretty sure Lewis believed in Hell, so he was definitely not a Universalist like Macdonald. Unless I am mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 01:24 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have tried to read parts of it. The fact that so many evangelicals like him is difficult to get past. His appeal actually seems to be mainly from evangelicals, and not liberal Christians. Am I wrong?

By the way I am really fond of George Macdonald who supposedly influenced him. But he was a Universalist Christian. I'm pretty sure Lewis believed in Hell, so he was definitely not a Universalist like Macdonald. Unless I am mistaken.
Respectfully, I think you will miss out if you judge Lewis on anything but his brilliant writing. Who cares if certain people like him or don't like him? Read him, and don't worry if his thoughts and actions resonate with people whom you may disdain. What's important are the decisions you make about how you live your life.

I think many of his conclusions about the Faith and the adroit manner with which he wrote are absolutely true.

Also, I think his book The Great Divorce is chock full of truth about the nature of man, both those who have lost their way, and those who are beginning to find Truth.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:35 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
What Macrina said.

Nazis liked Beethoven. I wouldn't let that stop you from enjoying Beethoven. Yes, Lewis is beloved by some evangelicals, but even they tend to get freaked out by some of his other beliefs and practices (he believed in evolution and was regularly going to confession in the last few years of his life).

I'm not sure what you mean by "liberal" Christians.

Lewis did believe in Hell, but not like your average Baptist or Pentecostal. I'm quoting from memory so forgive me if it isn't exact, but Lewis once wrote, "The gates of Hell are locked from the inside." Perhaps it's best if you ponder that on your own.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:34 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
That's why I prefer Chopin and Bach.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's why I prefer Chopin and Bach.
People who prefer Chopin over Beethoven also tend to prefer the Beatles over the Who. No one is perfect.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Respectfully, I think you will miss out if you judge Lewis on anything but his brilliant writing. Who cares if certain people like him or don't like him? Read him, and don't worry if his thoughts and actions resonate with people whom you may disdain. What's important are the decisions you make about how you live your life.

I think many of his conclusions about the Faith and the adroit manner with which he wrote are absolutely true.

Also, I think his book The Great Divorce is chock full of truth about the nature of man, both those who have lost their way, and those who are beginning to find Truth.
"The Great Divorce" is another thing I don't like about him. (Coschristi also mentioned this)
I haven't read it yet, I admit, but just knowing that the title is a refute of William Blake's the Marriage of Heaven and Hell is what offends me. William Blake is one of the greatest men who ever lived as far as I'm concerned. The fact that Lewis would criticize him is beyond wrong.

Lewis just can't seem to do anything that doesn't offend my sensibilities.

Another obvious one is the atrocious "lord, liar, lunatic" quote that evangelicals love.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:26 PM

105 posts, read 103,740 times
Quote:
Are there any fans of C.S. Lewis here?

I have not read many of his books. Maybe the first Narnia book and parts of his religious books. I liked him when I was a kid. I remember an animated special of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I used to be a fundamentalist Christian and I was a big fan of the movie about him starring Anthony Hopkins. My appreciation of him was very much tied into my faith.

But now, my faith has changed. I have a more liberal view of Christianity. I feel like I would like to read his books more now, but I just feel like there is too much of a "religious" aspect to them. (Kind of the same with Tolkien).

Does anyone understand where I'm coming from? I would like to hear from fans of Lewis who don't necessarily share the type of faith that he had. Or even from those who do share the faith. Thanks.
Ozzy, I love him. You know, he was a professor who resisted Christianity for years, "kicking and screaming",
or something to that effect.

He is brilliant, maybe a little too intellectual for me sometimes. It's true that Narnia is a Christian allegory,
but plenty of kids don't get that aspect of it.

I am Christian BTW.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:27 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
People who prefer Chopin over Beethoven also tend to prefer the Beatles over the Who. No one is perfect.
You've forgotten our earlier conversations, Walt.

I rate The Who FAR ABOVE The Beatles, dude.

Are you trying to profile me?! Btw, Chopin rules.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
What Macrina said.

Nazis liked Beethoven. I wouldn't let that stop you from enjoying Beethoven. Yes, Lewis is beloved by some evangelicals, but even they tend to get freaked out by some of his other beliefs and practices (he believed in evolution and was regularly going to confession in the last few years of his life).

I'm not sure what you mean by "liberal" Christians.

Lewis did believe in Hell, but not like your average Baptist or Pentecostal. I'm quoting from memory so forgive me if it isn't exact, but Lewis once wrote, "The gates of Hell are locked from the inside." Perhaps it's best if you ponder that on your own.
Yeah, he 'went to Rome' as he himself termed it. But what's wrong with confession? Christians have been going to confession since the earliest times, as you probably know. It's a good thing!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
"The Great Divorce" is another thing I don't like about him. (Coschristi also mentioned this)
I haven't read it yet, I admit, but just knowing that the title is a refute of William Blake's the Marriage of Heaven and Hell is what offends me. William Blake is one of the greatest men who ever lived as far as I'm concerned. The fact that Lewis would criticize him is beyond wrong.
That you would criticize a book you admit you haven't even read is beyond beyond beyond wrong. Seriously, that isn't an opinion. That is a prejudice.

Lewis was also a great admirer of Blake, and his book is not so much a refutation as a sequel.

But on a broader note: I hope you don't only read books to enforce your own beliefs. Nothing wrong with reading books that do that. But you should also read books that challenge your beliefs, even offend your beliefs. If the beliefs don't stand up to hard scrutiny, then perhaps it's time to change them. If they do, then you've only proven them strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books