Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:54 PM

212 posts, read 195,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I donate them to the library.

I have a degree in English Literature and am a voracious reader, but I only own two small shelves of books. These are my favorite books and kept for sentimental reasons. (e.g. One book I keep because it is the last book my father purchased for me before he died.)

Libraries love me because I constantly purchase new books, read them, and then donate them. I must have given my local library a couple hundred books this last year alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 11:28 AM

179 posts, read 149,553 times
I usually don't buy books new, except when buying "regional" books when traveling. I buy at book sales, and get books from friends and coworkers. If those people want them back, I give them back. Most have the attitude of "pass them on". So I put them in a little free library so there can enjoy.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:12 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
While I don't buy all the books I read, I keep very few. I've left some at book crossings and donated everywhere I thought they would be appreciated. The donated books at the hospital saved me during the long night.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,129 times
Over the years, *IF* I have kept a book, it is because I REALLY loved/liked it or there was some of it's content I thought worthy of re-reading & learning from or living by. The books that I keep have tended also to be by favorite authors and/or reference & study books for/from my Bible study groups, bird watching, area wildflower/butterfly & travel books. And I have several versions of the Bible. Some of the books that I have loaned have never been returned (I am OK with that). Some I pass on to a couple of ladies in my church. Some I anonymously leave in the drop box of our local (rural, thus cash strapped) library. Some I take to nursing homes. IF I KEPT EVERY BOOK THAT I HAVE EVER PURCHASED & READ, THERE WOULD BE NO ROOM IN MY HOUSE FOR US TO "LIVE!" I purchase new & used. Because I pass them on, I rarely buy a new hardback. (Just go ahead & call me cheap) Most of my used books come from Goodwill, flea markets, etc. For Christmas I was gifted with the latest offerings by 2 of my favorite authors (Carl Hiaasen & John Grisham). I have begun re-reading books & series that I read as a youth (Mary Stewart, etc.) There is a saying: SO MANY BOOKS! SO LITTLE TIME! Is so true!

Old 12-26-2016, 05:55 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
After reading a book, do you keep it or give it away? In my case, if I read the entirety of the book, that means I love the book, so I keep it.
Or are you half and half? In other words, do you give away some and keep some? And what determines the differentiation?
KEEP IT.

The basic thing is that I tend to remember 90% of what I read and can often to refer to in later years.

Such as Mick Fleetwood's comments of never expecting to make as much money on this album (Rumors) as on the next.........which is also reflected in Jenny Ketcham's book when it came to her expensive car.

I read, I remember, if even decades down the line.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:14 AM

522 posts, read 715,300 times
If i like it I keep it. If not I donate it to Epilepsy foundation.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I've moved 4 times in 5 yrs. I don't keep books. I either give them to someone I think will enjoy them or drop them off at goodwill or the library.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:12 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Biographies and autobiographies I buy in hard cover to go on my bookshelves. Some book series I will get in hardcover as I think they will be classics someday. Romance are strictly paperback and when I run out of room for the hardcovers, I donate to either the library or some cause that is selling books to raise money.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
I keep a few of my favorites that I know I'm probably going read multiple times...the rest I either donate to the local thrift store or sell them in lots online.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,507 times
I keep very few , don't know why I keep them. Most go to the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books