Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 PM

93 posts, read 95,812 times

Advertisements

I've thrown away one book (that was in good shape) in my life that I remember. It was not only poorly written, but the typos were outrageous. Don't know why, but I felt insulted and threw it in the trash with no regrets. On the other hand, I carried around a copy of "The Once and Future King" for years where all the pages were falling out and I had to keep it together with a rubber band.

It's that sacred thing, and even a bad book - someone put in hours of love and effort into writing it. ..but just don't hit me with bad grammar and typos. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 04:52 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
It is no harder for me to throw away a book than it is for me to throw away a comic or a newspaper or a magazine. Or to delete a downloaded book or article.

Sometimes there are books that the used bookstores do not want, and when I assess them I realize the library won't want them (I'm familiar with what the library gives away when it has books it can no longer use and cannot sell) and that they would be more bother than they're worth to a place like Goodwill.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I found an old book I'd forgotten about having. I can't believe I bought it so maybe it was a gift. It's a political book I don't agree with and don't like the author. I don't want to sell it to the used bookstore I usually take books I don't want to because I don't want to spread the propaganda in it. But I am loathe to throw it away. I can't so far anyway because it's a book. There's something sacred about a book. Do you ever have trouble ridding yourself of books you don't really want? I can't be the only one.
Books are sacred to me, BUT most of my life I could afford to buy so many, I had no choice. I only kept the ones I felt I would read again. All the rest went to used bookstore. A few hardbacks in new condition still I sold on Amazon.

I would buy a novel, say, read it, and turn it back around. I suppose that ended up being financially equivalent to renting it. If I never got rid of books, I'd literally be buried. And still I have rows and recently saw how many I have in storage I was like holy moo! After all the boxes I tossed, there are still 200 in here!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM

761 posts, read 604,465 times
Tear out the pages and line the kitty litter box.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Yes. But for a book like the OP described I would have no problem tossing it.
And for those that I'll never reread or indifferent to, I donate them for the older ones. And sell back to half price books (a rip off) for the newer ones.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:52 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
When I've had a book that was pure propaganda and lies, I have had no trouble tossing it in the garbage so as not to spread the intellectual rot and stop the contagion.

I've also, on rare occasions, read a novel that was so horrifically awful that I threw it out because I didn't want a single other person subjected to its awfulness.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:33 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Do you ever have trouble ridding yourself of books you don't really want? I can't be the only one.
I just donate them to our local library's used book shop. (Sorry to admit that some of them have been gifts.)

Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
I found an old book I'd forgotten about having. I can't believe I bought it so maybe it was a gift. It's a political book I don't agree with and don't like the author. I don't want to sell it to the used bookstore I usually take books I don't want to because I don't want to spread the propaganda in it. But I am loathe to throw it away. I can't so far anyway because it's a book. There's something sacred about a book. Do you ever have trouble ridding yourself of books you don't really want? I can't be the only one.
Retired librarian here. No, I'd throw away a hateful book, or figure out a clever way to recycle it.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
I agree with those that said throw it away. I'm like you and I have a hard time throwing away books but if it has hateful propaganda and you don't want to pass that along, I'd put it in my recycle bin or maybe use it to line kitty litter if I had a cat. lol

Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacSoc View Post
I have a container downstairs full of books I plan to post to paperbackswap.com OR I will give them away to a thrift store. What I may not like someone else might. I own A LOT of books and I only keep ones I really like and want to reread or ones I want my kids to read when they get older.
Beware of PBS - I gave away a lot of books on there - cost me about $60 in postage and another $12 for a limited membership - I couldn't get any of the books I wanted in exchange for my credits and then they unceremoniously closed my account because I suggested on a forum that the people paying membership fees who weren't swapping books and only paying because they liked the forums - just come here where its free. LOL. They basically took my earned credits and I lost all the money. I heard from many others - they had problems with them similar to mine.
Better off selling on ebay - or giving them away on freecycle. The thing I love about freecycle is it is community people that you are giving them to and like giving them to the library - keeps them in the neighborhood but if you have a series of similar books and want to get rid of a box of them - then selling them on ebay works well because people love to get the deal .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books