Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Hi all! So one thing I'd like to do this year is read some books. I'm not a reader, never have been but usually this was due to no time or I was trying to read something I wasn't interested in. Anyways, I would like to bring a book along at work to read when I can. Thing is, I have no idea where to start. Checked popular ones online, looked up top lists and there's just so many options it's overwhelming to know where to start. Thought I would turn to you all here and hope for some ideas or direction.

I'm open to anything except I have no interest in romance novels at all. Also not a huge fan of SiFi or fantasy but may consider it. Not big into inspirational either(love inspiring movies but don't care to read those). I do enjoy crime dramas/true crime, mystery, paranormal, suspense/thriller, horror and real life stuff. Anything was some edge, drama, action, suspense etc is exciting for me. non fiction or fiction is fine.

Does anyone have some ideas for me to check out? I'd love to create a list. Also, maybe books that are shorter would help ease me into reading?.. not sure though if it matters. Oh if anyone has any favorite youtubers or sites that are specifically about books that would be nice to!

Thanks everything
Recommendations:

*Early Stephen King, when he was still tapping the cream of his ideas and his writing was less bloated. 'Salem's Lot. The Shining. The Dead Zone.

*Cormac McCarthy - he can certainly be inaccessible in some of his writings, but his brilliance with language and his meditations on death are unparalleled. No Country For Old Men is a fairly easy read, it's definitely a thriller, and there are enough differences between book and film that even if you've seen the latter, there will be plenty to engage you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Stephen King stories give me nightmares!
I love the Jack Reacher series but I've only listened to audio versions on my commute (which is a great way to get into books).
I am a HUGE fan of John D MacDonald's Travis McGee series. Easy reads.

No matter what you decide on, give it a chance... sometimes it takes a chapter or two to get good. HOWEVER don't be afraid to give up on a book and move on to something else. Life's too short to read books you don't like.

Libraries are good for sampling! I love murder mysteries. Nice to find a series you like so you know the characters intimately.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
The Chronicles of Narnia.

Harry Potter.

Those are must reads.

I like short stories and there are plenty of books of short stories in every Genre. I used to like Short short stories.

I don't care for fantasy and sci-fi either, unless it is done in a certain way. I do like some of the short stories.

Chronicles of Narnia was the only book, or series in that genre that I ever did like. I used to read all the time, whenever I had a spare moment.

If you are just starting out, I would choose something very engaging that will draw you in. That is why I recommend Harry.
I used to read only nonfiction. As in my entire first 35 years on this earth. I then discovered I was severely limiting my reading options by choosing only nonfiction and started reading sci-fi and fantasy. I just began the 10 book Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It is not a series for the beginning fantasy reader, but it is definitely worth a look after you've gotten your feet wet. It's widely viewed as one of the best epic fantasy series ever written (along with Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, and Game of Thrones).

If OP is interested in trying fantasy, I recommend Brandon Sanderson. His writing is interesting, unique, and captivating. The problem with fantasy is it's hard to find books that aren't trilogies or longer, and many of them are enormous 500+ page tomes, but the first book I read of his, Elantris, is a standalone. Another great selection would be his Mistborn trilogy. You can buy them cheapest used in mass market paperback. I'm not a fan of short stories personally. I prefer longer books in which the plot, storyline, and characters have a longer time to develop. So OP, don't automatically assume you won't be interested in a particular genre. I thought I wouldn't like fantasy or sci-fi and discovered I enjoyed them very much.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,764 times
Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins series. Mystery's set in 40s-50s LA. Easy reads but good and well written.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,928,809 times
You have received lots of treat suggestions so all I have to add is Welcome to the Best Thread on City-Data! Keep hanging around here and you will have more on your TBR (To Be Read) list than you will know what to do with!

Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I'll concur with James Patterson.

I'd also add Stuart Woods. These read like vivid action movies. These weee the first "adult" books I read at age 12.

And I am a big fan of Harlen Coben. His books are well paced mysteries starting normal people.

I also loved Crazy Rich Asians. It is a little romance-y but the food descriptions are fun. You will get hungry and want to rub off to Singapore. It is a bit chic-lit, with a side of lifestyles of the rich and famous.

And one of my all time favorite reads is Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls. This is the national enquirer in book form. Before it existed. This book takes place in 50s/60s Hollywood/New York and is amazingly current particularly when you consider it was written in the 60s. A precursor to today's celebrity obsessed culture.

While I am generally not a fan of sci-fi, Ray Bradbury books are very entertaining. I love Fahrenheit 451. And you should definitely read George Orwell's classics: Animal Farm and 1984. These are easy and enjoyable reads.

And HG Wells War of the Worlds is a great read. I never watched the 2000s movie, but the original 1950s was hilarious to my middle school eyes.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins series. Mystery's set in 40s-50s LA. Easy reads but good and well written.
Also try Elmore Leonard. I really liked Cuba Libre which blends a way story with a western and a mystery. And I usually hate war stories and westerns. But this reads like a summer blockbuster. I actually read it for a college class and read the whole thing in one sitting. Then I gave it to my parents to read!

And I am going to give you one last book: Daemon by Daniel Suarez. If you like computers, the internet and first person shooters games this is your book. Quick paced like a James Patterson book as well. I couldn't put it down.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think you would enjoy the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Definitely edgy and a pretty easy read.
While this series is really entertaining, I wouldn't recommend them to a new reader. They are quite long. When I am starting out I like quick wins and progress. Those are slow reads!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
While this series is really entertaining, I wouldn't recommend them to a new reader. They are quite long. When I am starting out I like quick wins and progress. Those are slow reads!
I also loved Dragon Tattoo and the whole series, but I also would not recommend them to someone who is not yet an avid reader. There is a large section involving corporate fraud that I think casual readers wouldn't like and might give up during that section. I read it as part of a book club, and while most people did really like the book, there were quite a few people who specifically mentioned that those parts were slow and a couple people who did not like them because of all that corporate legal stuff.

One book I would recommend that I loved and everyone in that book club loved, too is called Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. It's fantastic narrative nonfiction about some guys who find a sunken German WWII submarine.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
A really fun paranormal cozy mystery is ~A Skeleton in the Family (A Family Skeleton Mystery) by Leigh Perry
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...6YW3HWK55XCGG2

A gripping non fiction is~The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin
https://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Bli...9242297&sr=1-1

I believe the funniest book I ever read ~How Not To Live Abroad by Shaun Briley
https://www.amazon.com/How-Live-Abro...ct_top?ie=UTF8

The most terrifying white knuckle read for me was~

The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Zone-Terr...9242796&sr=1-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books