Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 08:14 AM

666 posts, read 512,566 times

Advertisements

[quote=CA4Now;50899337]It was put in that category well after it was written, not because he intended to write about it.

What?

It's dystopian fiction. It was put into that category well after it was written because people hadn't come up with a name for this type of fiction at the time of Brave New World, 1984 or Lord of the Flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Bradbury too rejected the idea that a good author writes with an intended purpose. Instead, he has an idea, something precious and magical, and he follows it, plays with it, and seeks its essence. In the end, good art will reveal a truth, but not always the truth an author originally desired to convey. Yet, when asked what the truth was that emerged from Fahrenheit 451, he admitted he wrote it in response to “Hitler and Stalin and China, where they burned God knows how many books, killed God knows how many teachers.”3 Add to this, he feared, the disaster of Joseph McCarthy in the early 1950s, and free thought and free expression would collapse.4 As Bradbury explained decades after the book’s publication, he hoped to prevent the future more than to predict it."
So your argument is that Farenheit 451 isn't a dystopia because he didn't mean to write a dystopia when he got the idea for the book and wound up writing one anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 11:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I loved the Time Traveler's Wife, and I was so excited when Audrey Niffenegger's next book, Her Fearful Symmetry, came out. And I HATED it. Absolutely could not stand it. I felt personally betrayed. Probably the most visceral negative reaction I've ever had to a book.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
I got halfway through The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, and realized I did not care for any of the characters. I simply didn't like them or was indifferent to them, and I did not care what happened to them. I bailed.

That book was tremendously popular.

I don't care what happened to the painting. Don't bother to tell me. I don't care.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I got halfway through The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, and realized I did not care for any of the characters. I simply didn't like them or was indifferent to them, and I did not care what happened to them. I bailed.

That book was tremendously popular.
People either hated or loved that book, it seems. http://www.city-data.com/forum/books...nna-tartt.html

Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Another writer that I thought was as overrated as Hemingway was F. Scott Fitzgerald. I read the Great Gatsby in high school and thought it was duller than dishwater. If it hadn't been an assignment I would have thrown in the towel after 20 pages.
I have actually enjoyed all of the Hemingway books that I read especially A Farewell to Arms.

I agree with you on F. Scott Fitzgerald. I hated The Great Gatsby and also all of the movie versions. Another book I hated reading is The Catcher in the Rye. The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye are two of the most popular books read in high school English classes. I could never understand why.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:24 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have actually enjoyed all of the Hemingway books that I read especially A Farewell to Arms.

I agree with you on F. Scott Fitzgerald. I hated The Great Gatsby and also all of the movie versions. Another book I hated reading is The Catcher in the Rye. The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye are two of the most popular books read in high school English classes. I could never understand why.
I enjoyed Catcher in the Rye but think it's much overrated.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
People either hated or loved that book, it seems. http://www.city-data.com/forum/books...nna-tartt.html
I tried to read it twice, now I'm trying on audio book.... it just won't stick.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-17-2018, 09:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I enjoyed Catcher in the Rye but think it's much overrated.
I think Catcher in the Rye appeals to teens who are struggling with their identities and maturation. It is best when read as a guilty pleasure. Bringing it into the curriculum has probably weakened the experience for readers. Just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think Catcher in the Rye appeals to teens who are struggling with their identities and maturation.
I didn't read it until I was an adult. I think that anyone who's raised a teenager would find it a heartbreaking story.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
11/22/63 by Stephen King. I'm not sure I can say why without spoiling it though for someone who hasn't read it yet and might want to. I love time travel stuff. Just this one disappointed me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books