Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 AM

3,279 posts, read 2,987,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Amazon just sent me a link to 100 Books To Read In a Lifetime according to their book editors. They are not all classics and I'm going to assume they are from books still in print and the list is subjective.

How many and which ones have you read? Of the ones you have read, which did you like the most? Of the ones you haven't read, which one(s) would you like to read? I'd like to see which one the most people here have read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.htm...ode=8192263011

Note: It's not an actual list but rows of 6 book covers totaling 100.
How fun!

I've read 32 of them. My favorites were The Secret History (which is on my short list of all time favorite books) and The Shining (which I just re-read a month ago).

I want to read Dune and The Long Goodbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 AM

37,751 posts, read 40,828,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Laura, seeing as how you mostly read non-fiction, I'm surprised that you didn't finish The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I don't read much non-fiction, I have a sensitive stomach and there was medical "stuff" in this book that had me feeling faint, but I thought that this book was terrific. Just curious...why didn't you finish it?
I was bored with it and had something I wanted to read more that had a personal time constraint so I went with that other book. The Lacks book was nominated by someone in my book group but if I remember correctly, the group didn't vote for it so I never picked it up again. I donated the book with a bunch of others.

I mostly like demographic/statistic type nonfiction (Bowling Alone, The Big Sort, Heat Wave, What To Expect When No One's Expecting, etc.) - I know, boring to most people, adventure nonfiction (Desperate Passage: The Donner Party's Perilous Journey West, A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca, Fordlandia: The Rise and Fall of Henry Ford's Forgotten Jungle City, The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey, etc.) and political books especially ones involving other cultures (While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam Is Destroying The West From Within, Nothing To Envy: Ordinary Lives In North Korea, Chinese Lessons: Five Classmates and The Story of New China, etc.).

I'm currently reading, "The Lost City of The Monkey God" which is another adventure book.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM

37,751 posts, read 40,828,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Phantom Tollboth was a big favorite in my house, too. Didn't see it on the list. Maybe I missed it because it should be there.
You know what I discovered. If you have your view set at more than 100% you only see 75 books. I have mine set at 150% and at first only saw 75 books.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,746,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Amazon just sent me a link to 100 Books To Read In a Lifetime according to their book editors. They are not all classics and I'm going to assume they are from books still in print and the list is subjective.

How many and which ones have you read? Of the ones you have read, which did you like the most? Of the ones you haven't read, which one(s) would you like to read? I'd like to see which one the most people here have read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.htm...ode=8192263011

Note: It's not an actual list but rows of 6 book covers totaling 100.
Well, obviously it's subjective. How could it not be?

I was pleased to see Cormac McCarthy, Tim O'Brien and John Irving on the list (though while I think The World According to Garp is Irving's most entertaining novel, I think A Prayer For Owen Meany is his masterpiece).

As it happens, I'm currently re-reading Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale in anticipation of the 10-episode Hulu series that debuts in April.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:52 PM

375 posts, read 293,978 times
So.....It was 15 rows of six, and that makes 90. Not 100.

I've read about 25 of them, and can also say that several don't belong on anybodys list of best books of all-time.

The Hunger Games?

Poisonwood Bible?

A long way gone? That book is trash. The main character should've been shot as the murderer he was, not aggrandized.

The freaking Phantom Tollbooth? Which I read when I was ten? WTF?

Harry Potter?

Was this a list for kids or tweens? Had to be, right?

If you want a far better list, one actually geared to adults, read either Time Magazine's or the Library Journal List.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,077,950 times
The list is of 100 books to read in a lifetime. Maybe that's why it includes children's books.

I haven't read Hunger Games, Poisonwood Bible or Harry Potter so can't comment on their worth.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,910,616 times
Horrible list, and excessively fiction-heavy, as I expected. Very book-clubby. I've read:

1984, George Orwell
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl
Charlotte's Web, E. B. White
Dune, Frank Herbert
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, Marjane Satrapi
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat, Oliver Sacks
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor E. Frankl
Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel, Kurt Vonnegut
The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
The Golden Compass: His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Stranger, Albert Camus
Where the Sidewalk Ends, Shel Silverstein [Seriously? Only read this because a woman I was dating gave it to me]
Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak'

Have read books by some of the other authors, but not the particular titles on the list.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 AM

473 posts, read 305,465 times
I have my own list, I own over 1300 books so I did read 100 books already long time ago.. Actually I started reading at age 6 and I think I did my 100 books already at the year when I got my first very own library card

Old 03-14-2017, 11:01 AM

4,237 posts, read 3,685,205 times
I've read 32, and another ten or so I own and they've been on my list for a long time.

I hate most of these lists, because so many of the choices are questionable. I read and I did like, for example, Cutting for Stone and Angela's Ashes. I might recommend them. But as one of the 100 books you absolutely MUST read? I wouldn't put them on the list.

The ones I do think are unquestionably worthy (and some I think everyone should read) are:
The Looming Tower
Henrietta Lacks
All the Presidents Men
The Omnivore's Dilemma
Catcher in the Rye

Oh, I just saw that only 75 books showed up on my screen, too. So I don't know what the remaining 25 are.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,706,152 times
I have read four of them, two of which were when I was in grade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books