Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:20 PM

285 posts, read 616,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Wow! I admire your fortitude! How in the world did you manage that?! I do have my favorite ones, of course, but, good golly, I can't imagine giving up the majority of my books. That would almost be like giving up my kids, or my animals!
Believe me that it was hard! I spent two days moving books from pile to pile to box and then out again. But worry not, CelticLady. We have been in Wrangell approx. 2 1/2 months and I have already replaced about 20 of the ones I had to leave behind. Between church bazaar sales and the local library book sales. My poor dh just shakes his head....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,221 times
I take my books out from the library, unless it is one that I really want and they do not have it there!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times
Quote:
I scan the bookshelves, take note of any interesting books, write them down, and check out Amazon, as I have found that I can usually get such books much cheaper, and if I spend at least $25, I get free shipping. It's generally worth it, to wait a few extra days to save money.
I'm sorry, but that's just awful.

Quote:
I love the simplicity of a book. I like the feel of it in my hands. I don't have to rely on internet connections, electricity, or anything complicated to read my books.
Need that internet connection to buy a book, though, sounds like. I bet you just love to while away the afternoon browsing the shelves of your local bookstore and their wonderful selections that almost feel like they were handpicked just for you, etc. So nice of them to go to all that trouble for you, scouring thousands and thousands of pages of catalogs to find those hidden gems among the overwhelming dreck-piles...and with no hope or need of compensation. How truly selfless of them to act as curators of taste and quality--curators in no need of your business. They'll figure out a way, heck they probably even have a book on it!
blah.

I hope you buy a book from this local store at least every once in a while to pay them back for all the great reads and recommendations you've stolen from them. This just makes me sick to my stomach, in light of the news of bookstore closure after closure.

Time to think of a cause higher than your own wallet, people.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
I'm sorry, but that's just awful.

Need that internet connection to buy a book, though, sounds like. I bet you just love to while away the afternoon browsing the shelves of your local bookstore and their wonderful selections that almost feel like they were handpicked just for you, etc. So nice of them to go to all that trouble for you, scouring thousands and thousands of pages of catalogs to find those hidden gems among the overwhelming dreck-piles...and with no hope or need of compensation. How truly selfless of them to act as curators of taste and quality--curators in no need of your business. They'll figure out a way, heck they probably even have a book on it!
blah.

I hope you buy a book from this local store at least every once in a while to pay them back for all the great reads and recommendations you've stolen from them. This just makes me sick to my stomach, in light of the news of bookstore closure after closure.

Time to think of a cause higher than your own wallet, people.
Wow! A bit hostile, aren't we? As a matter of fact, I do buy from the local bookstores, quite a bit. If you had actually read my post correctly, you may have noticed that I said I constantly rummage for sale items, and, oddly enough, they don't just give them to me. I actually have to buy them, (i.e spend money with the bookstore), and I buy a lot of books that way. And, if I can't find a particular new book on Amazon that I'd like to have, then I will also buy it at the local bookstores. I occasionally even buy a book out of hand, simply because I don't want to wait for it. Strange, though, that I didn't know it was a terrible thing I'm doing, to try to save a little money by utilizing places like Amazon, to buy brand-new books, when they are so expensive, so, thank you for setting me straight on that.

I suppose I should also not buy any books at thrift stores, or yard sales. Nor should I support my local library by borrowing books from them, or to buy any from their little store, (though it is a fund-raiser for them, but, that's really not imporant, is it?). After all, I should be buying everything brand-new, full-price from the bookstores, and no where else. Of course, perhaps some folks have all the money they could possibly need, but there are a few of us, who have a little more limited income, and we have to watch our money a little more closely. For those who don't, more power to them.

Oh, and it's perfectly obvious that I do like, and utilize the internet. I simply enjoy the feeling that a good book gives me, when it's in my hand. So, lighten up on the attitude. It's neither criminal, immoral, or unethical, merely to save money, and because one has a great appreciation for the printed word.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
It's neither criminal, immoral, or unethical, merely to save money, and because one has a great appreciation for the printed word.
This is unethical, immoral, and decidedly distasteful. Rationalize all you want.

Quote:
I scan the bookshelves, take note of any interesting books, write them down, and check out Amazon, as I have found that I can usually get such books much cheaper, and if I spend at least $25, I get free shipping. It's generally worth it, to wait a few extra days to save money.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
This is unethical, immoral, and decidedly distasteful. Rationalize all you want.
Hmm, so comparing prices, to get the best one, is suddenly wrong. Interesting... I certainly hope you pay full price for every scrap of food you buy. You do pay full price, do you not? Surely you don't check the sales papers to find out who has the cheapest milk and paper towels in town?! Certainly, as you stroll down the aisles of your local grocery store, you don't take note that oranges are cheaper at Wal-Mart, and you wait to buy them there? Good heavens! Say it isn't so! Your local grocery store may have to close it's doors because of such "unethical, immoral, and decidedly distasteful" behaviour! Or, vehicles? I hope you don't cheat the new car sales lots, by going to the used ones, instead. You really should be paying full price. After all, we wouldn't want them having to close their doors because you comparison shopped with their competition.

It's unfortunate that it offends you that, when I go to the local bookstore, I see some books that I would like to have, but, instead of paying full price, I choose to utilize Amazon, (or thrift stores, yard sales, and my local library, for that matter), to save money. Regrettably, for all of your moralizing on my purportedly unethical behaviour, I'm afraid I'll just have to continue to comparison shop for my books, just as I do for everything else I purchase. But, I certainly am happy for you that you have no need to be conservative with your money, and can afford to pay full price for everything you buy. Not everyone in this country is quite so fortunate, so it's nice to see that there are folks out there who are doing so well.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 03-21-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
to you CelticLady1

Old 03-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Hmm, so comparing prices, to get the best one, is suddenly wrong. Interesting... I certainly hope you pay full price for every scrap of food you buy. You do pay full price, do you not? Surely you don't check the sales papers to find out who has the cheapest milk and paper towels in town?! Certainly, as you stroll down the aisles of your local grocery store, you don't take note that oranges are cheaper at Wal-Mart, and you wait to buy them there? Good heavens! Say it isn't so! Your local grocery store may have to close it's doors because of such "unethical, immoral, and decidedly distasteful" behaviour! Or, vehicles? I hope you don't cheat the new car sales lots, by going to the used ones, instead. You really should be paying full price. After all, we wouldn't want them having to close their doors because you comparison shopped with their competition.
Haven't been to Wal-Mart in almost a decade. Haven't bought a car in almost as long. I don't make very much money at all, but live smarter so that I can support local businesses and my local community's economy, which I see as a moral imperative. I realize that it's about more than me and that I belong to something larger and more rich than I would if I merely based my decision on the contents of my wallet. I'm able to look my friends and neighbors in the eye, knowing that should their businesses fail in these difficult times, it won't be because of me.

You're trying to rationalize your exploitation of local businesses with your own economic sob story, and thereby hugely missing the point.

Call it harsh, if you will. Your behavior speaks volumes.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I usually dont buy books, I borrow them from the library because it is cheaper and we all need to be using the library and teaching our kids how to use the library because it is free and does not cost us a cent . My library has also started carrying dvds and some of the new titles are only 1.00 a day which I think is very reasonable instead of 3.99 for two days . I think if people could learn to wait your library would have it eventually .

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I do not support my local community's economy. My community is already growing too fast, there is too much commercial construction, and as for quality of life, I would prefer a community that is getting smaller, not larger.

Unless you live in a quite large market, it is very unlikely that you have a local bookstore that is not part of a huge national franchised chain. Aside from the Christian bookstores, I have only a Walden and a Hastings within a 2-hour drive. I feel no community incentive to support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books