Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,826,702 times

Advertisements

I use the library for most of my "recreational" reading. If I need a technical book I buy it at local bookstores. When I was in the trucking business and on the road I would buy books. I knew it was time to go to the house when the sleeper was so full of books I had to put them out on the doghouse to get in the bunk.

Now that I am home all the time I hit the garage sales in the spring and buy all the hardbacks that the rich folks read during the winter. Two or three bucks for a hardback is the most I ever pay.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 AM

37,751 posts, read 40,828,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am wondering how many books we big time readers buy, and how often we buy our books.

This week as I've been visiting our community independents, I bought two on Wednesday, and another today. I also got gifted with 3-4 free review copy books.

These two purchases are unusual for me these days. Having been on the road, literally, for 1-1/2 years I rarely bought books, used the library or borrowed books from my friends. When I left NM I gave all the books away, some to the library, several bundles to a book dealer-friend and our local community charity. In VT, I was so privileged to have a wonderful library just down the road, and they intra-library loaned dozens of books whilst I lived in the community. No purhases for the entire sojourn.

Wonder what other people's buying habits might be!
I usually buy about 4 - 8 books every three months. I'm in a nonfiction book discussion group so 12 books a year are not necessarily (unless I recommended them) ones I choose to read but ones I have to read. Right now, I have a backlog of unread books. When I moved I didn't take any furniture but I took all of my books.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 AM

23,106 posts, read 28,835,190 times
I like buying my used books online from Powells.com. I'll spend up to a week making my seclections for books, then put in a massive order of 50-100 books, and that'll usually last me a year or more.

I absolutely despise driving a car and fighting traffic, and I'm a graveyard shift worker, sleep from 9AM to 5-6PM every day, and most used bookstores are not open at night. I live in, what's purportedly a 24 hour city, but that's a joke to us graveyard shift workers. How I wish they'd keep a used or new bookstore open in this city at least one night a week for us night workers.

Online used bookstores, open 24 hours a day. Perfect for me!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,752,391 times
I've had a Kindle for over a year now, and I buy most of my books from Amazon or Fictionwise. I also get public-domain (out of copyright) books free from manybooks.net and Project Gutenberg. In the time I've had the Kindle, I've gotten probably 700 books, more than half of them from Amazon.

I buy paper versions of absolute favorites, cookbooks, things that aren;t available on Kindle yet, regional interest books, some technical books. Unfortunately there are few local bookstores, so I'd be going out of area anyway.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,838,018 times
Every few months or so I have an outburst and buy a bunch of books from Amazon. Maybe a couple times a year I'll go to a big bookstore and end up getting a pile of books, trying to ignore how much I'm spending on them all!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,596,563 times
I use the library almost exclusively. I'll buy a book if I LOVE it, but normally I use the library. I'd say I buy maybe two books a year.

I also have a friend who is in collection development for the public library here. She gets all kinds of pre-publication copies so she passes those on to me. I've read all kinds of great books, for free, thanks to her. She's my hook up!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,387,547 times
If I get a gift certificate, I'll buy a new book, usually from Amazon or my favorite on line book store:Subjects : BetterWorldBooks.com (http://www.betterworldbooks.com/category-C1000.aspx - broken link) no shipping!! Lots of good used books.. and when the libraries in my area have their book sales I'm first in line As to how many I buy a year...I can't keep track!!

Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,740,653 times
Easy answer - too many and too often! And since I don't buy a book unless I intend to keep it in my home library, it shows. Books all over the house!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,883,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am wondering how many books we big time readers buy, and how often we buy our books.
I read mostly genre -- mystery (mostly cozies), romance, paranormals SF/fantasy (including urban fantasy) -- though I also read technothrillers, historical novels, non-fiction (mainly books on baseball, horse racing, US military history).

I keep track of the release dates of upcoming books in series I read (I use a ratty spiral notebook that's seen better days, but with my new iPhone coming next week, I'll have a shiny new PDA to take on that task), plus new books that I think will appeal to me (stopyourekillingme.com is a great resource for mysteries, and RT Book Review covers a cross-section of genre books in the print edition every month, with release dates three months out from the cover date).

I buy about 30 books a month, predominantly mass-market paperbacks -- the way I read, I can't afford hardcovers. I'll make exception for non-fiction, and for gifts for my husband, however (especially when B&N.com has it at a great price), and if I find a discounted trade paperback in Costco that appeals to me, I'll grab that, too. There are no reliable local independents, so I visit three Barnes & Noble stores, where a good many employees know me by name.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:39 AM

32 posts, read 64,110 times
I try to buy 5 books every few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books