Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I'm still wanting suggestions for novels that take place at the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th century. The time period after the American Revolution and before the War of 1812. I've read Jakes' Kent Family Chronicles but I'm searching for something a bit more historically accurate.

I've recently read America's First Daughter. I'm currently reading My Dear Hamilton. Both were good and fairly quick reads, so I'd like to find similar works.

I'm also interested in early Ohio history, particularly the frontier history before 1812.
Have you read The Trees?
Think it is by Conrad Richter--writer from like the 50s--
He did series on opening up Ohio by a family
Read it long time ago
Love his Sea of Grass see in the southwest

And read a novel about family that had daughters kidnapped by Native Americans in maybe the Ohio area
Two or three daughters were taken--one helps to find them and return to their home
Their parents died in the pre-story from illness and the young women were trying to run their family store

Don't remember it was a free Kindle Unlimited book or one I bought on Amazon--
Will look
Was interesting, strong female characters but also good historical foundation...
Life was so freaking hard back then...

Check Open Library site
You can search by historical period for fiction choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Historical series I am reading now is by Cora Harrison
Set in west coast of Ireland in time of Henry VIII--but not about English areas
This is Ireland still rules by small tribal kings
Main character is woman --Mara (forget her surname) who is 34--middle aged for her time ==divorced and a Brehon or judge
She also owns a school for training lawyers where students start early as 5 to learn the Irish law...
At this time the Irish legal system was very different--still based on tribal factors vs English law--only certain towns like Galway were under English rule/law...

Irish law Required fines rather than physical or prison punishment for wrongdoers
She is judge but also investigates the crimes--like murders--lot of deductive reasoning and knowing the people in the community she lives with--

Interesting because of the way justice is determined and imposed
Also insight into the customs and attitudes of the Irish people
Different and not so drastically Catholic at that point in time...

Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have you read The Trees?
Think it is by Conrad Richter--writer from like the 50s--
He did series on opening up Ohio by a family
Read it long time ago
Love his Sea of Grass see in the southwest

And read a novel about family that had daughters kidnapped by Native Americans in maybe the Ohio area
Two or three daughters were taken--one helps to find them and return to their home
Their parents died in the pre-story from illness and the young women were trying to run their family store

I'm currently reading The Trees by Richter, but thanks for the suggestion. I tried a few Zane Grey but they were more western/Indian fighting than what I'm looking to find.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:51 AM

There are 3 in that Trees series I think or 4

And I looked for the story about the sisters captured by Native Americans but haven't found it yet
Was based on survivor's story so might be listed under historical not fiction on Amazon
I so rarely read physical book now w/my need for large text and I know it had to be E book
And those I get from Amazon--often Kindle Unlimited for free-- or sometimes Open Library...

Old 01-29-2019, 07:07 AM

Found the Indian capture book
"Thieving Forest" by Martha Conway 4.5 stars on Amazon
Won North American Book award for best historical fiction

Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Found the Indian capture book
"Thieving Forest" by Martha Conway 4.5 stars on Amazon
Won North American Book award for best historical fiction

Thanks for this! I'm going to ask my library to purchase a copy

Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Default "Between Earth and Sky" by Amanda Skenandore

"Between Earth and Sky" by Amanda Skenandore is a wonderfully written historical novel. One of the best books I've read in years. Highly recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/Between-Earth...nda+skenandore

Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
There are 3 in that Trees series I think or 4.

Finished the first of the trilogy and ordered the second from the library. It was hard for me to determine exactly when or where in Ohio the novel was covering.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Finished the first of the trilogy and ordered the second from the library. It was hard for me to determine exactly when or where in Ohio the novel was covering.
But don’t you think that is purposeful because at the time of the novel Ohio was just one big blob of unsettled, unknown, unmapped land—-
Any names are likely to have been overwritten by larger/newer towns
Think of it like an archeological dig...
One big prairie that USED to be a forest was slowly turned into habitated land by people a hundred yards at a time...
I just remember reading that decades ago and thinking how labor intensive life was for everyone back then
The only off-set for the very wealthy was they had more servants to do their laboring for them
But even a person of some wealth had lot more to do to stay fed, clothed, safe...because there was not the machinery we have now—there was not even a super abundance of servants to take up the slack...

Re—historical novel in general
Search for the recent fact-based novel about the Donner Party==Stars features in the title I think
Lot of historical details about life and location of the people who made up the Donner Party—
Not that it specifically started in Ohio...but it fairly descriptive of how life was lived...

Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 PM

Historical fiction—
Several series I have read had new books recently

One is set in Scotland—about a soldier who fought in France w/Scottish forces against English
Can’t find place in a noble’s household partly because of his injured leg and becomes early version of private detective—
In latest novel he becomes a “coroner” in Perth for work done for King James—not the one who become Elizabeth’s heir...
By J R Tomlin—character is Sir Law Kintour

Second one is a Stephen Attebrook novel by Jason Vail—
He is in England, set at time of Henry II/Simon de Montfort conflict for this one
Fairly convoluted and not really as enjoyable IMO as earlier ones—and the end leaves couple of characters’ fates hanging...so hoping the next one comes sooner than later...

These two series are interesting because both of the protagonists have war injuries that make their past lives as very good soldiers not possible—so while they can fight, they are more forced to used their brains—both of them are lower level of nobility with friends in the common class vs being all upper classes like many romance novels

Just started latest in the series about Nicholas Elyot a bookseller in Oxford by Anna Swenfen—who was university student but left when he fell in love and married—that was not allowed for university students/teachers at that time...which I thought was interesting insight...
The first one in this series started just after the Black Death which caused social/economic upheaval from the losses of farm/serf/servant labor and made labor high priority/more valued...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books