Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 01:38 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,316 times

Advertisements

1. I've ordered some new paperback books online. They arrived, almost all of them damaged, because why should Barnes and Noble bother to put in some bubble wrap for expensive books. Well, some of them have a velvet like almost fake suede like feel to the covers. The pages themselves are kinda sharp. They stick together, like corduroy would. So you can't slide them out of your bookcase very well without them sticking to whatever is next to it. Is this normal? I've never seen this before.
2. The second thing I'm seeing is a lot of the paperback covers, the ones with the regular feel to them, have a rough line down the front and back of the cover only where it looks like it was folded back. Was this done on purpose? It is very close to the spine, all the way down, but maybe a couple mm in. I don't know if I'm receiving bad books or if this is the norm now.
I can't believe that Barnes and Noble, brand new, full price, books are being sent to me like they threw them in the box and sent them off. They arrived with smashed corners, bent covers, bent in random places because they slid into the other book at random page. I don't know if I should order replacements, as this might be how they will send them again. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
I know what you mean about that soft cover paper. I sort of like the feel of it, but find that random stuff like lint and hairs stick to it when I carry a book around in my backpack.

I haven't noticed the line down the front near the spine, but will look for that. Maybe it is there to help the book stay open better? Odd...

And Amazon is no better than Barnes and Noble, I guess. Sometimes they package paperbacks in envelopes and they almost always have dented corners. Other times they are in a box and that is a bit better. The best of all is the cardboard packaging that almost wraps around the book itself - hard to describe, but it protects the book quite well. I have no idea why there are so many different packing styles from one company!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:21 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I try to get books in hardback form whenever possible. But for those books where there is no option, I upgrade my paperback books with a laminate exterior. It keeps them looking new for decades. It's often what libraries do.

I recommend Scotch Single-Sided Self-Seal Laminating Sheets. You can get a pack of 10 sheets, 8.5" x 11", for a few dollars at Walmart. Much better to use that poly material than hazardous vinyl.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,316 times
Interesting, I had no idea about the laminate. Yes, fuzz completely sticks to these, so dusting will be a chore. I even got a book with the first few pages missing. It doesn't look like they torn them out, it looks like it was made that way.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM

443 posts, read 437,878 times
So weird. I haven't had any problems with B&N or Amazon.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

And Amazon is no better than Barnes and Noble, I guess. Sometimes they package paperbacks in envelopes and they almost always have dented corners. Other times they are in a box and that is a bit better. The best of all is the cardboard packaging that almost wraps around the book itself - hard to describe, but it protects the book quite well. I have no idea why there are so many different packing styles from one company!
I know exactly what you mean - that cardboard packaging that is close to the book is best. I've gotten some damaged books from amazon -- I've contacted them when it happens because I want a pristine book (I'm buying it new, after all), and I also want them to know if there is a packing problem. Sometimes they've thrown a book in with other non-book items I've purchased and the book has arrived damaged.

The response I've gotten varies -- sometimes they just credit me for the book. Sometimes they give me a partial credit. And sometimes they send out a new one and I have to return the old one with a pre-paid packaging label.

Really, I'd usually be satisfied with a few dollars of credit if the book is for me. But if I'm giving it as a gift, I don't want it to be damaged.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Yes, my thoughts are that you should complain.

I'd hate to see the waste of bubble wrap for something inexpensive and non-breakable like paperbacks, but they could certainly use a sheet of tissue paper.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:05 PM

12,265 posts, read 2,966,052 times
Maybe they've cheapened the manufacturing. To be fair paperbacks from decades ago were not meant to last. The pulp ones weren't and many are falling apart or about to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books