Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,834 times

Advertisements

Speaking of children's books..... I was blindsided by one today. The Red Tree by Shaun Tan. The artwork I have found, on the www, is stunning! I have to find a copy tomorrow when I go into town...

Anyone familiar with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
I haven't seen The Red Tree, tulegirl, but I have seen Tan's book, The Arrival. It is done completely with beautiful pictures, no words at all. Is The Red Tree done the same way?

I'll have to look for it. I am always trying to add new, wonderful books to my grandchildren's libraries here in GA, and then I ask them to take their favorites home with them when they leave for their own homes up north. I think it is more fun for me than it is for them.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Apparently there is text with The Red Tree... I hope to find out tomorrow. I'll be camped out on the bookstore's front step.

The Arrival is newer... 2006 He has 5 total, listed on Wiki. I will be going crazy tomorrow if they have them all. My poor book budget shot so quickly.... never knew what hit it.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:01 PM

That happened to my budget last month! I have been cooking so many hot dogs and hamburgers for my family that they will probably enter me in that "Wife-swap" show!!

Report back about the books. I can't get to the store until Friday and now I am really curious.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 PM

Mission accepted!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 PM

FYI - Just finished Great Granny Webster.

I found it readable. Caroline Blackwood can write. I feel like running out and hugging all of my relatives. If that book is even remotely TRUELY biographical, I weep for their descendants. In fact there were a few times that I felt a lump forming in my throat at the horror that these people endured.

I think I LOLed 4 times. The people ("critics") who state this work as "wickedly funny" are on something I cannot afford.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:01 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I just checked my calendar and see we have Suite Francaise set for discussion one week from today.

Hope everyone is reading it, and getting ready for it.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:06 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Thanks for the heads up, ontheroad.

I am reading, reading, reading. This is the title I found at SAM's at a cheap price, but got it home and realized I had a large print edition. That has taken some getting used to, as I don't wear glasses to read.

I am enjoying Suite Francaise, and like the structure of the work.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
FYI - Just finished Great Granny Webster.

I found it readable. Caroline Blackwood can write. I feel like running out and hugging all of my relatives. If that book is even remotely TRUELY biographical, I weep for their descendants. In fact there were a few times that I felt a lump forming in my throat at the horror that these people endured.

I think I LOLed 4 times. The people ("critics") who state this work as "wickedly funny" are on something I cannot afford.
I definitely want to read that book, tulegirl. You are the second person I have heard that from in the last month or so! Thanks for the run-down.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Thanks for the heads up, ontheroad.

I am reading, reading, reading. This is the title I found at SAM's at a cheap price, but got it home and realized I had a large print edition. That has taken some getting used to, as I don't wear glasses to read.

I am enjoying Suite Francaise, and like the structure of the work.
Yes, thank you, ontheroad, for the reminder. I am reading Suite Francaise
every free second that I can manage and it goes with me everywhere.

I wasn't too sure that I was going to like it for the first 15 or so chapters, but I am really starting to enjoy it myself. Which is a wonderful thing, since I told BlueWillowPlate that I would assist her with leading!!

I once in a while find that if I persist with a book that I am not particularly into, I more often than not do enjoy reading it. Each one is an experience, whether it be good or bad.

No problem with The Wall. I am so glad that katzenfreund recommended it to us. Thank you, katz. It is very different and so intriquing. I will hate to finish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books