U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,347,894 times
I read A Tree Grows a year or so ago, LOVE it, would read it again! really, love it.
Recently read 2 other books by Ursula Hegi, she is a wonderful writer. I know nothing of the book you mentioned, but would be inclined to read it (it is a novel? not essays/shortstory?)
The Space Between us sounds interesting as well.

Again, I need a few weeks though, I have a few other obligations to read!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,854 times
Lola, THe worst thing I've done is a novel. I recently read "the visions of Emma Blau" and LOVED it. I have also read Stones from the river years ago and loved that one.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 PM

323 posts, read 400,537 times
Hi. I put a post on this thread on March 01, 2009. I am still interested in the book discussion. The reason why I haven't been able to follow up on my earlier post is because I am currently 'mothering' a beautiful litter of orphaned kittens. (That's another story dealing with irresponsible pet owners). We took mom from a pair of idiots who were notorious for not having enough pet food to feed their animals. Mom was emaciated and we took her to try to help her but we ran out of time. She gave birth to six kitties but ran out of milk two weeks after we got her. (She was all bones by then). Not her fault. We've been looking after them since then. Unfortunately, my reading has suffered because of the added demands.

However, I do part time volunteering at a local thrift store and find an amazing assortment of books so if I can still join I would be very happy and this time I promise to check this thread several times every day so that I can keep up with the group

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM

I hope things are going well with your kittens! Kittens are so much fun .
It has been very quiet here.
Lola, let us know when you are done with the other books you are reading for book groups.
I am ready to start a new book soon..... we haven't heard from anyone else yet... so please, don't be shy !

Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 AM

10,723 posts, read 14,893,927 times
I just received The Shack Wm Young & Fire In the Blood Irene Nemirovsky

as soon as I'm finished with my fluff book, The Red Hat Club Rides Again I will start one of the above.

In the wings is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn excellent suggestion Lola, I saw the movie years ago but somehow think the book will be much better...along with that I pre ordered Home Safe Elizabeth Berg not due to ship until 05/04

Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 AM

It looks like "A tree grows in Brooklyn" is something we want to read then? Shall we set a date for mid April then? Or late April?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
It looks like "A tree grows in Brooklyn" is something we want to read then? Shall we set a date for mid April then? Or late April?

My ordered copy is tied in with a book that isn't due to release until 05/02
Then I'll be in Cabo until 05/07 I can always jump in the discussion later

I should have split the shipment but didn't even think about it

Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,347,894 times
Sorry Kate, we don't take "oh, I'll be in Cabo" as an excuse! unless, of course, if it were me. But that is a different story...

Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Sorry Kate, we don't take "oh, I'll be in Cabo" as an excuse! unless, of course, if it were me. But that is a different story...

Sorry...lol hopefully it will arrive before I leave on 05/02 but the book I ordered with it won't be released until 05/02
I'll have to call Amazon and see if I can split the order with out having to cancel & reorder

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM

323 posts, read 400,537 times
I'll put a hold on that book at the library. Or see if I can find a copy at our local book store. Thanks for letting me back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books