Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,398,703 times

Advertisements

OntheRoad, that looks just heavenly...I wouldn't mind spending a summer (or longer) there, lucky you!
Happy to hear that Tigerlily will lead a discussion of Love Medicine, I got my copy and it is on my table, will have to wait until I finish the Kite Runner and then the english copy of the Wall!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,413,706 times
The dates look great to me, too.

Can someone sell me a copy of The Wall? Please DM me.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,047,223 times
RDSLOTS, did you miss that gemkeeper has bought up a quantity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The dates look great to me, too.

Can someone sell me a copy of The Wall? Please DM me.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,413,706 times
Why, yes! Why, yes, indeed-y!

In my haste to get caught-up with the Book discussions here, I think I skimmed over that fact.

Gem, dear, I'll be DM'ing you. I need a copy of The Wall before Christmas.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:20 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,607,684 times
I was going to participate in the book discussion for kite runner, however, our library and all of the libraries on their computer system are not accepting requests for loans or reserves right now. their computer system is being upgraded and is down until some time in april. I will keep checking and jump in when i can! sorry!

However, I am reading..just not what you are reading..Venetian Betrayal by steve berry

Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Sorry to hear the book has been a challenge to get from the library. We are not starting the discussion until 25 March so perhaps you'll get it in ample time to join in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I was going to participate in the book discussion for kite runner, however, our library and all of the libraries on their computer system are not accepting requests for loans or reserves right now. their computer system is being upgraded and is down until some time in april. I will keep checking and jump in when i can! sorry!

However, I am reading..just not what you are reading..Venetian Betrayal by steve berry

Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,095,801 times
Smile Maybe one of these will work out for you, sgresident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post

Sgresident, I don't see what state you live in, but here in GA the libraries will request a book from any public library in the state for a resident with a valid hometown library card. Some of the universities also participate in this arrangement. You may want to check that out.

If that is the case in your state, considering that your library system is being upgraded and unable to assist, you may be able to call another town's library and request the book from them.

I have used out-of-state public libraries while visiting family in PA, also. The local library in my PA hometown - Thank you, James V. Brown Library! - allowed me to use my GA card to check out books and to use their computers many times.

Also, you might want to check a local bookstore that sells used copies. If you don't have a bookstore such as this, many of the chain bookstores have weekend specials on their books. You may be able to find a fairly inexpensive paperback copy of The Kite Runner this way. It is a book well worth owning. I know that I will read mine again and again over the years.

Gotcha covered RDSLOTS!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,607,684 times
i am in the suburbs of chicago, and we typically can get books from other libraries. they are just updating the computer system throughout the entire multi-library system, so no one can reserve/request books from other libraries. our library is pretty small so this is how we get lots of our books! i will just catch up on the next book when the system is back online!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,095,801 times
I really hope something works out for you, sgresident. If you aren't able to get the book in time for the beginning of the discussion, please read it anyhow.

It is a very touching story. Resist the urge to read the posts on the discussion thread, however, as it will reveal too much of the storyline before you have read the book yourself.

As ontheroad said, when you get a copy, read it, just jump into the discussion even if we have been engaged for several days. You will still enjoy it and we will be interested in your thoughts.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM

Here's the latest update on the group's discussions:

gemkeeper and RDSLOTS will lead our first discussion on Kite Runner starting March 25.

Dates will be determined for the following reads at the end of March:

BluePlateWillow and gemkeeper will co-lead Suite Francaise.

katenzenfreud will lead the disussion on The Wall.

ontheroad will lead the talk on The Road.

tigerlily will lead Love Medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books