Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,045,674 times

Advertisements

For my fellow book "listeners", I though it might be curious and informative to cite who your favorite reader is? For myself (big fan of Clive Cussler books) it would be, without contest, Scott Brick.

The man can morph from Russian Agent to English Diplomat to Japanese Damsel In Distress in one sentence with flowing ease with brilliant talent. My only wish in a perfect world would be that Mr. Cussler would every once in awhile have another reader due to over-familiarity when listening to "back to back" Cussler books.

Who would be your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 PM

302 posts, read 181,724 times
I like the reader of Liane Moriarty books. Love that Australian accent!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up Nelliebell, will definitely listen to a book read by Liane going forward (any recommendation?) I am presently listening to a new James Rollins book read by Christian Baskous. He is a new reader for me and I am getting accustomed to his style, but so far so good. He seems particularly adept at English accents...

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,338,498 times
Kerry Shale has narrated several of Bill Bryson's books, and the one I have on cassette is Notes From a Small Island (I think this was the first audiobook version, and it's since been done with a different reader). His voices for the bemused Bryson and a range of English characters still have me laughing out loud after many listens. I also have The Lost Continent on cd, Shale catches the irritability and sarcasm of Bryson perfectly.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Kerry Shale has narrated several of Bill Bryson's books, and the one I have on cassette is Notes From a Small Island (I think this was the first audiobook version, and it's since been done with a different reader). His voices for the bemused Bryson and a range of English characters still have me laughing out loud after many listens. I also have The Lost Continent on cd, Shale catches the irritability and sarcasm of Bryson perfectly.
I will look for Bryson/Shale C.D.'s at my library, sounds as if I would very much enjoy them. I see you are from Lancashire England, literary "Hallowed Ground" so to speak being the Bronte sisters from that region. I have ancestors from the Colne, Trawden, Whinewall area. Wycoller Hall one of the most spirited and charming places I have visited.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,338,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I will look for Bryson/Shale C.D.'s at my library, sounds as if I would very much enjoy them. I see you are from Lancashire England, literary "Hallowed Ground" so to speak being the Bronte sisters from that region. I have ancestors from the Colne, Trawden, Whinewall area. Wycoller Hall one of the most spirited and charming places I have visited.

Almost as far north as you can go in Lancashire, I happened to walk past what had been the school at Cowan Bridge in the 1820s, which was attended by the Brontë sisters, two of whom died after a typhoid outbreak at the school. The punishment meted out there was described in Jane Eyre.

Wycoller village is on my bucket list, but I have to say that 19th century literature has very little of interest for me. Other than Conan Doyle and Dickens, the long-winded style of writing bores me to tears.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,039,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Thanks for the heads up Nelliebell, will definitely listen to a book read by Liane going forward (any recommendation?) I am presently listening to a new James Rollins book read by Christian Baskous. He is a new reader for me and I am getting accustomed to his style, but so far so good. He seems particularly adept at English accents...
I think Nelliebell is referring to Caroline Lee, who has narrated some of Liane Moriarty's books.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I have to say that 19th century literature has very little of interest for me. Other than Conan Doyle and Dickens, the long-winded style of writing bores me to tears.
Yes, of course there IS that! I suppose the only similarities between the Bronte sisters and the action/adventure books I normally listen to is they are both fictional works based on a combination of real life experiences and good research.

Cussler is well versed in Oceanography and Oceanographic matters, and I have learned so much. I think the Scripps Institute in La Jolla California is offering honorary PHD's in Oceanography to anyone who listens to all of Cussler's books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I think Nelliebell is referring to Caroline Lee, who has narrated some of Liane Moriarty's books.
Thanks, they cross-referenced in my search regardless. It doesn't appear the subject matter of Ms. Moriarty's books would appeal to me long term, but I have requested one to experience the talent of the reader. And as these things go, you never know, could become a fan of the book series.

Also requested two Bryson books, I think I will enjoy them. I had no idea he was the author of "A Walk In The Woods". This the book the movie starring Robert Redford (played Bryson) and Nick Nolte was based on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books