Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:38 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times

Advertisements

I try to patronize brick and mortar book stores if I can, so I buy my books from one of the locally owned shops downtown or from the B&N down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 12:03 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't often buy from Target. Probably the only time is for really specialized books like

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-G..._&dpSrc=detail

On another specialized book, https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Beslan...eywords=beslan
I rather watched who I bought it from.

One location had it a bit cheaper than another but because that location sounded "revolutionary", I opted for another. If said revolutionary should ever come under legal investigation, I didn't want my name on any records that might be seized no matter how innocent my reasons for buying. Call me paranoid but.............

Did you mean amazon (not Target)? I wouldn't expect the tactical diagramming book to be carried at Target.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Did you mean amazon (not Target)? I wouldn't expect the tactical diagramming book to be carried at Target.
As I recall, I think I did get that book from Target, on line.

It was about 2007 and I was shopping around for who had it cheap.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 2,340 times
Thriftbooks. https://www.thriftbooks.com

Old 02-12-2018, 03:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Amazon for me ... I always buy from the 'used books' category/choice which to me are good bargains. Have yet to receive one that is not basically brand new; and they arrive usually within 2 days. Great deals.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I am a retired librarian, and I have for years and years, read library books. I do recommend using your local library. You will find things there you will probably never find to buy, or at least, you can often find a book you want to read by a specific author.

You can also usually, request the library either purchase a book for its collection, or obtain a copy from another library. So, you have many possibilities for obtaining reading material.

However, in retirement, I do admit to the guilty pleasure of buying books, simply because I can. I order from Amazon, often opting for a used copy. I also check the Goodwill shelves from time to time and have found things there. I have also found books I want to read in our local library's used book sales shelves. And once, I visited a local used paperback store. I wish that place was located a lot closer to my house!

I also will visit bookstores in places I visit on vacay.

So, I'll buy a book if I see it and want it. Then after I read it, I might pass it to someone else to read.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I avoid Amazon like the plague, and wish others would reconsider, too.

There are various marks against Amazon, but lately it particularly grates on me that Jeff Bezos recently became the first person with a net worth of over 12 figures. That's $100 BILLION. $100,000,000,000. Do you really need to fork over more money to him? It's not as if he amassed that kind of money by curing cancer or solving world hunger.

I buy most of my books at the Strand. I like to support independent stores (and don't need to waste packaging material for mailing). But I also poke into book stores wherever I travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

In the first place, I ended up with a Prime membership, so might as well use it in the ways I would use it. That is, cheap mailing but never for Kindle for I am not a Kindle person.

Secondly, I can't knock their return service. I had to order "The Game of Death" several times because they sent me the one with Snipes and not Jonathan Pryce. Each time I called up, they immediately said they would credit the card and I didn't have to send it back. Irritating that it took several tries but pleasurable that it didn't cost me any money of haggling. Further, in more recent times, the merchants have contacted me when things are outside the norm to make sure that is what I wanted. Ie, a VHS.

Third, they are usually the quickest search for an answer when it comes to this title or that.

So why knock someone who has produced a fine product?

Finally, while it doesn't really apply to books, Amazon has enabled to build a cluster that pulls in entertainment from around the world. Best Buy couldn't get me a regionless player but Amazon could and in a blink at at that. They get me what I need.

First, keep in mind that Amazon in fact hasn't produced a fine product. It's a service. It is, in effect, leeching off of companies that do provide products.

Second, keep in mind that you've been conditioned to think that you need something "quickest" when you usually don't.

Third, I do wish everyone had great return service, of course. But I can't help pointing out that your example is that they screwed up your order to begin with. If you are buying something in person from a store, that doesn't happen.

Fourth, if I change your question to "Why knock someone who has a fine service" - well, as I said, Why support a billionaire who doesn't really need your money? Why support someone who is driving others out of business? Why not support your own community?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I did not know that The Strand is still in business. I haven’t received their catalog in a long time.

If you love bookstores, and if you visit Portland, OR, you must, must visit Powells Books. Best bookstore ever, and I am not exaggerating.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 AM

701 posts, read 1,429,211 times
My town recently got a brick and mortar Amazon bookstore. I love it. Inventory is a fraction of a Barnes and Noble (which we lost two years ago), but it is amazingly well curated, based on online buying behavior in your locale. All books are shelved cover out, with reviews underneath on cards. Plus, if you're an Amazon Prime member, you get the same price as if you bought online.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
thriftbooks.com

most are $3.50...used books, they often have current books
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yep. They list on eBay, along with others for about same price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut1935 View Post
I use Thrift Books too. I have never been disappointed in the condition of any used book I have received from Thrift Books. I like the coupon deals and free shipping with $10.00 minimum order too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books