Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:46 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times

Advertisements

Two years ago I fulfilled what had been a decade-long dream of visiting a town in Wales called Hay-on-Wye. My best friends and I had gone to Ireland for our 40th birthdays, and I tacked a couple days on to go visit Hay with the friend who was going to travel in England for another week. The travel took most of the day, but we got to Hay, and it was kind of glorious. We all figured it would not live up to my 10 years of built-up expectations, but .. OMG it was so amazing!

There's about 20 bookstores in a town of 1500 people. The town itself is old with cobblestone streets and little alleys. There's a half-ruined castle at the middle of the town with basically a used bookstore set up against its walls, where you can take any book for 1 pound that you deposit in an honesty box. There's also a used bookstore in an old cinema that has multiple floors filled with used books. I basically rampaged through the town for the 48 hours I was there, blowing an insane amount of money on books that I had shipped home. Honestly, I want nothing more than to go back.

Until that happens, I'm thinking about where else I might go. There's supposed to be a bookstore-focused town in upstate New York, and I've been thinking about heading to Minneapolis to check out Louise Erdrich's bookstore - she's one of my favorite authors.

Just curious if anyone else had a book travel experience that they would recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 11:23 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Two years ago I fulfilled what had been a decade-long dream of visiting a town in Wales called Hay-on-Wye. My best friends and I had gone to Ireland for our 40th birthdays, and I tacked a couple days on to go visit Hay with the friend who was going to travel in England for another week. The travel took most of the day, but we got to Hay, and it was kind of glorious. We all figured it would not live up to my 10 years of built-up expectations, but .. OMG it was so amazing!

There's about 20 bookstores in a town of 1500 people. The town itself is old with cobblestone streets and little alleys. There's a half-ruined castle at the middle of the town with basically a used bookstore set up against its walls, where you can take any book for 1 pound that you deposit in an honesty box. There's also a used bookstore in an old cinema that has multiple floors filled with used books. I basically rampaged through the town for the 48 hours I was there, blowing an insane amount of money on books that I had shipped home. Honestly, I want nothing more than to go back.

Until that happens, I'm thinking about where else I might go. There's supposed to be a bookstore-focused town in upstate New York, and I've been thinking about heading to Minneapolis to check out Louise Erdrich's bookstore - she's one of my favorite authors.

Just curious if anyone else had a book travel experience that they would recommend.

No, but yours sounds fantastic! Look forward to answers in this thread.

I love bookstores too, especially the non-chain stores, though there are increasingly fewer than in years past in the US.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM

85 posts, read 143,301 times
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the town, but when I went to Norway there was a little town in the fjords that had a lot of bookshops. Used books mainly. We took a ferry there and I hung around for a while before we moved on. Also unfortunately, most of the books were in Norwegian, though I did manage to find a couple of English books!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
I recommend this to anyone near, or perhaps not so near, Detroit. It's one of the last of the giant bookstores of yesteryear.

I can spend a good while in this place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_K._King_Books

Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No, but yours sounds fantastic! Look forward to answers in this thread.

I love bookstores too, especially the non-chain stores, though there are increasingly fewer than in years past in the US.
I know. One of the big appeals of moving to Denver was the Tattered Cover. LOVE that place.

If you get the chance to go to Hay, do it. The food and countryside are lovely, and the bookstores are just so delightful. They range from beautifully furnished ones with all the newest publications to those kind of dingy little basements that have all sorts of hidden treasures. You can take a break and have a lovely lunch of tea and scones in a little tea shop that's located in a 15th century barn. My head exploded repeatedly on that trip - but you know, in a good way.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzkc View Post
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the town, but when I went to Norway there was a little town in the fjords that had a lot of bookshops. Used books mainly. We took a ferry there and I hung around for a while before we moved on. Also unfortunately, most of the books were in Norwegian, though I did manage to find a couple of English books!
That kind of sounds like torture! All those books and you'd need a translator to read them - lol.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I recommend this to anyone near, or perhaps not so near, Detroit. It's one of the last of the giant bookstores of yesteryear.

I can spend a good while in this place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_K._King_Books
Hah - I never thought I'd have a reason to go to Detroit, but now I'm intrigued.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:13 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
I know. One of the big appeals of moving to Denver was the Tattered Cover. LOVE that place.

If you get the chance to go to Hay, do it. The food and countryside are lovely, and the bookstores are just so delightful. They range from beautifully furnished ones with all the newest publications to those kind of dingy little basements that have all sorts of hidden treasures. You can take a break and have a lovely lunch of tea and scones in a little tea shop that's located in a 15th century barn. My head exploded repeatedly on that trip - but you know, in a good way.

Hee hee...yes, in a GOOD way!

I'm part Welsh, another reason to visit....

Old 03-16-2018, 12:32 PM

85 posts, read 143,301 times
Quote:
That kind of sounds like torture! All those books and you'd need a translator to read them - lol.
lol! oh it was! I should have thought about the language difference, but it didn't enter my head!

I'm planning a summer trip out to Oregon and am planning a stop at Powell's in Portland! No translators needed for that!

Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I took a road trip to Nashville to go to Parnassus, Ann Patchett's bookstore. She wasn't there that day, but the store and the people working there and the shop dog were delightful! Definitely worth the trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books