Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,116 times

Advertisements

Like a lot of business people, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are heroes of mine, and many people know about Buffett's habit of reading 80% of the day. [ https://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/warr...s-science.html ]. I inherited most of my parents' books when they passed away and I have a few of my own. I buy fewer (paper copy) books nowadays because the Kindle is interactive with the internet, allows you to acquire books faster and I like the mobility and built-in dictionary.

QUESTIONS:
(1) How much do you read?
(2) How important do you think it is?
(3) Do you read for your work?
(4) Do you read in subject areas outside of your work?
(5) Do you read for pleasure, to satisfy your curiosity about something, or for some other reason(s)?
(6) Fiction or non-fiction, and what subject areas?

Good article:
While Everyone Is Distracted By Social Media, Successful People Double Down On An Underrated Skill
https://medium.com/the-mission/while...d-5a86701e9a27

From the above article:
The four problems that make up the Info-Apocalypse are:
1. Content Shock
2. Echo Chambers
3. Constant Distraction
4. FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)

Also see:
How Elon Musk Learns Faster And Better Than Everyone Else
https://medium.com/@michaeldsimmons/...e-a010a4f586ef

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 05-03-2018 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 07:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Like a lot of business people, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are heroes of mine, and many people know about Buffett's habit of reading 80% of the day. [ https://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/warr...s-science.html ]. I inherited most of my parents' books when they passed away and I have a few of my own. I buy fewer (paper copy) books nowadays because the Kindle is interactive with the internet, allows you to acquire books faster and I like the mobility and built-in dictionary.

QUESTIONS:
(5) Do you read for pleasure, to satisfy your curiosity about something, or for some other reason(s)?

Good article:
While Everyone Is Distracted By Social Media, Successful People Double Down On An Underrated Skill
https://medium.com/the-mission/while...d-5a86701e9a27

From the above article:
The four problems that make up the Info-Apocalypse are:
1. Content Shock
2. Echo Chambers
3. Constant Distraction
4. FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)

Also see:
How Elon Musk Learns Faster And Better Than Everyone Else
https://medium.com/@michaeldsimmons/...e-a010a4f586ef

You need to check out the book threads...there is: what are you reading now, book recommendations, must read nonfiction etc.

I read daily and a lot....retired. More nonfiction than anything but still enjoy quality fiction. Subject matter varies wildly. Recent past WWII...and bios of that era leaders, Russian history, Civil War, Revolutionary War.

Then numerous bios on any number of folks.

Just ordered some mostly fiction books recommended by the ladies on book threads.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 1 day ago)

436 posts, read 195,288 times
1) I have read 35 books in 2018. That means 7 books a month. My goal is to complete 100 books. Hardcovers and paperbacks are the only formats I read.

2) As a woman, I feel books strengthen and enlighten. I adopt the noble elements of a character, whether they're fictitious or real-life. Also, it helps me recognize shortcomings. People often don't provide true knowledge so I turn to books.

3) I am a creative person but I was convinced of its eminence during childhood. Even if I had chosen another career, I believe I would still love reading because reading has been my longest relationship.

4) I read books that aren't directly tied to my field frequently. My career focuses on women's issues and right now I am rereading The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

5) Largely, I read for pleasure. Curiosity is a secondary reason I read.

6) It's an even split. Before 2017, I remained faithful to memoirs and biographies. In 2017, I discovered I love graphic books, both fiction and nonfiction. I admit I avoid horror, mystery and Westerns. I've read something from the genres outside of those.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:51 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
I don't keep track. At all. I just constantly read. Literally every minute I get the chance. I always have. I even read in the bathtub. I will read a historic tome with a hundred or so citations, an old but comfortable John Saul piece of mind-tripe (STILL LOVE those), fiction, nonfiction, college textbooks, Steinbeck, Shakespeare, my son's middle school assignments, scientific papers or a Charlie Brown comic strip compilation. Or maybe something else. There are no limits.

I got tortured for it all through school, with one year straight, as I recall, of two b*tches following me ALL the way to school shrieking "Read any good books lately?" at me. Every. Single. Day.

I used to read while walking. I tripped and fell a lot.

Reading is supposed to make you an amazing, well-rounded person and enrich your life but honestly, I think I read to hide from the world, to an extent, and I definitely don't believe I'm more well-rounded or more enriched than the next person. I'm just a chick who reads constantly. I may have more book knowledge than the average less-crazy-about-reading individual (obviously) and know a metric butt-ton of useless history and other data that will never take me or anyone else anywhere but it's fun so, there you go.

I haven't performed any amazing altruistic feats that are destined to save mankind from certain extinction or anything with the amazing superpower of Constantly Wanting to Read.

Right now I'm re-reading Alcock's book (still the go-to classic all these years later) about sub-Roman Britain which people attracted to this thread probably know all about already.

ETA: I agree that a list-type post about reading could do much better on one of the Books threads. I don't know whether this is really so much a psychology question.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-07-2018 at 12:15 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 PM

I went through my Kindle library recently and there were a lot of books that I had purchased and/or gotten sample of, which I intended to read but never got around to. I still want to read those books! A few I've read already.

1. Think Like a Hacker*
2. Enlightenment Now
3. The Future of Humanity*
4. Principles of Practical Psychology
5. God is not Great*
6. The Atheist Manifesto*
7. Breaking the Spell*
8. Cyber security and Cyber War
9. No Happy Cows*
10. Digital Minds
11. The Fitness Response Diet
12. World Peace Diet**
13. The Science of Yoga
14. The Moral Landscape
15. The Pleasure Trap
16. Do Unto Animals
17. Eat Like You Care
18. Hot, Flat and Crowded*
19. The World is Flat* **
20. Chasing String in the Digital Era
21. Digital Marketing
22. Social Media Marketing for Publishers
23. World Wide Rave
24. Yoga Weight Loss System
25. Yoga and Vegetarianism*
26. Super Immunity Yoga
27. The Science of Yoga, Jain
28. The Science of Yoga, Broad
29. Interviews with the Masters
30. The God Delusion*
31. Letter to a Christian Nation*
32. Conscious Entrepreneurs
33. Beyond Talent*
34. 12 Commandments
35. The Code
36. Startup
37. 10 Ruthless Ways
38. 20 Things I've Learned
39. A History of Western Philosophy*
40. Deep Spirit
41. The Benefits of Marijuana
42. Twilight of the Elites
43. Yoga for Dummies
44. Buddha in Blue Jeans*
45. Unlimited Free Traffic
46. A Brief History of Everything*
47. Sex, Ecology, Spirituality
48. The Enemy, Hitchens*
49. Healthy at 100 *
50. Fundamentals of Piano Practice*

There is another list in working on, however, on piano pedagogy. Time management is not always easy?

* Already read.
** Already read and want to reread.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times

It varies. Currently I've been leading a very active life, dating, redecorating my house, I don't even have time for my hobbies (art, music, writing, guitar). In past eras I used to read 3-5 novels/week. Currently it's a strain to finish a book in a week, and have in fact been backlogged on my favorite writers so at least I'll have good hunting at the public library.

Reading is very important to me because I really enjoy novels. The last few years it has become even more important, considering that I've finally caught the bug that I want to write a novel. Already a published author (computer magazine articles) and straight-A student in high school English, I have not a single doubt I can write a good novel. But get it seen and bought? That's a big challenge. (I do have a plan.)

As a retired electronic design engineer, during my career it evolved so quickly that it was absolutely necessary to be able to assimilate new technology, or become obsolete. In the present day IT is one of my hobbies (I have several websites and a dedicated server) and my IT work would be impossible without the huge volume of information on the Internet. I also view as a requirement that I continue to follow my chosen writing genre (urban fantasy, urban romantic fantasy) where I not only enjoy the novels but dissect them as I read to gain insight to guide me in my own writing.

Certainly. I have hobbies: art, crafting, cooking, psychology, and read upon these subjects whenever the articles catch my eye. A few years ago I read, "Psychotherapist's Guide to Psychopharmaceutical Drugs," to gain insight on drug treatments for psychiatric problems. I had been interested in drug therapy for depression. I have an extensive personal library covering (1) art, how to, (2) soapmaking, (3) all the best cookbooks I see, particularly ethnic, and (4) miscellaneous and souvenir books, particularly a few author friends personally signed and gave to me. I have a few college textbooks as souvenirs.

I try to never have novels in my library. I have Tolkein's trilogy and "The Hobbit," gifted by my mother. I always read library books, took 'em back when done. Can get 'em again if I want to re-read them. Today (and the last 5 years) I read almost exclusively ebooks, mostly from libraries. They return themselves!

All of the above. For "other," I had to do a lot of legal reading for my landlord business (on its way to dissolution).

I described my non-fiction above. I started reading in the third grade, "Space Cadet" by Robert A. Heinlein. Thus began a lifelong affair as a book worm. I continued mostly in SF but also loved Mickey Spillaine's Mike Hammer series, my grandmother gave 'em to me after she was finished. This was too adult for me at that age (tweens) and good thing my parents never noticed. I continued to read SF in my 20s-30s but as time passed SF transformed into science fact and I lost interest. (There are still a few SFs being written.)

I moved on to mystery, suspense, action, military, etc. and have many favorite authors in the area, way too many to name. About a dozen years ago I returned to fantasy (I had read Tolkein then, everybody did) and enjoyed Game of Thrones (not really the correct title of the series, which continues today). After a short flirtation with medieval fantasy I turned to urban fantasy and was blown away! I had finally found it, the successor to SF!

In many ways urban fantasy resembles SF except UF is powered by magic while SF is powered by science. SF is or at least be fueled by science, sometimes speculative science (like telepathy, faster than light travel, mass transporters), things that have or might become true. Urban fantasy is fueled by magic which will never become true, so UF will never be overcome by reality. It is for this reason that I am so enthused by UF, because we are freed of our chains to scientific reality or at least plausible science. In fantasy your only limit is your imagination!

I'm interested in urban romantic fantasy because 80% of the UF demographic is YA (18-35 year old) female readership, and the ladies like a bit of romance with their fantasy. (UF authors share a similar demographic.) As a man I have found it a difficult challenge to get my brain thinking in "female mode," but have had some success identifying with it, particularly Nalini Singh's Archangel's Viper, the most recent (#10) of her Guild Hunter series, where I gained a new appreciation of the romantic, teasing romance that developed throughout the novel. (Do not read this book until you have read #1-9!)

I continue to read mostly UF/URF, occasional thrillers (Kristen Orlando's "You Won't Know I'm Gone" (#2 in her Black Angel Chronicles series, which I finished last night), and still have to keep up with technology as long as I continue my online IT presence. (Gotta keep up with the open source software I run or add to my server.)

My best reading time is late evening when I tire of TV and have handled all the business and caught up online relationships, as an aid to relaxation prior to going to sleep. I enjoy reading in the dark and my iPad tablet is perfect for that. I can't read a tree book without a high intensity lamp over my shoulder. My strangest habit is that I often play music while reading, using my iPad 4 mini to control my whole house sound system. When my eyes get tired I turn off the tablet and let the music lull me to sleep.

And that my friends pretty much covers the subject of my relationship with books and reading.

ETA: I keep and have kept a complete reading bibliography or journal listing all books I've read, beginning Aug. 1990 (excluding online and some non-fic), author, title, series, 1-2 word poor/average/good/excellent rating, date completed. I began this posting it on one of my private Internet sites, to keep from reading the same book twice, and now continue the list as a form of OCD (j/k) and as a resource to track my favorite authors and know which I need to catch up on. I'll use it tonight to locate tonight's read. That's another reason I like ebooks, find a book at an online library, be reading it 60 seconds later.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

It varies. Currently I've been leading a very active life, dating, redecorating my house, I don't even have time for my hobbies (art, music, writing, guitar). In past eras I used to read 3-5 novels/week. Currently it's a strain to finish a book in a week, and have in fact been backlogged on my favorite writers so at least I'll have good hunting at the public library.

Reading is very important to me because I really enjoy novels. The last few years it has become even more important, considering that I've finally caught the bug that I want to write a novel. Already a published author (computer magazine articles) and straight-A student in high school English, I have not a single doubt I can write a good novel. But get it seen and bought? That's a big challenge. (I do have a plan.)

As a retired electronic design engineer, during my career it evolved so quickly that it was absolutely necessary to be able to assimilate new technology, or become obsolete. In the present day IT is one of my hobbies (I have several websites and a dedicated server) and my IT work would be impossible without the huge volume of information on the Internet. I also view as a requirement that I continue to follow my chosen writing genre (urban fantasy, urban romantic fantasy) where I not only enjoy the novels but dissect them as I read to gain insight to guide me in my own writing.

Certainly. I have hobbies: art, crafting, cooking, psychology, and read upon these subjects whenever the articles catch my eye. A few years ago I read, "Psychotherapist's Guide to Psychopharmaceutical Drugs," to gain insight on drug treatments for psychiatric problems. I had been interested in drug therapy for depression. I have an extensive personal library covering (1) art, how to, (2) soapmaking, (3) all the best cookbooks I see, particularly ethnic, and (4) miscellaneous and souvenir books, particularly a few author friends personally signed and gave to me. I have a few college textbooks as souvenirs.

I try to never have novels in my library. I have Tolkein's trilogy and "The Hobbit," gifted by my mother. I always read library books, took 'em back when done. Can get 'em again if I want to re-read them. Today (and the last 5 years) I read almost exclusively ebooks, mostly from libraries. They return themselves!

All of the above. For "other," I had to do a lot of legal reading for my landlord business (on its way to dissolution).

I described my non-fiction above. I started reading in the third grade, "Space Cadet" by Robert A. Heinlein. Thus began a lifelong affair as a book worm. I continued mostly in SF but also loved Mickey Spillaine's Mike Hammer series, my grandmother gave 'em to me after she was finished. This was too adult for me at that age (tweens) and good thing my parents never noticed. I continued to read SF in my 20s-30s but as time passed SF transformed into science fact and I lost interest. (There are still a few SFs being written.)

I moved on to mystery, suspense, action, military, etc. and have many favorite authors in the area, way too many to name. About a dozen years ago I returned to fantasy (I had read Tolkein then, everybody did) and enjoyed Game of Thrones (not really the correct title of the series, which continues today). After a short flirtation with medieval fantasy I turned to urban fantasy and was blown away! I had finally found it, the successor to SF!

In many ways urban fantasy resembles SF except UF is powered by magic while SF is powered by science. SF is or at least be fueled by science, sometimes speculative science (like telepathy, faster than light travel, mass transporters), things that have or might become true. Urban fantasy is fueled by magic which will never become true, so UF will never be overcome by reality. It is for this reason that I am so enthused by UF, because we are freed of our chains to scientific reality or at least plausible science. In fantasy your only limit is your imagination!

I'm interested in urban romantic fantasy because 80% of the UF demographic is YA (18-35 year old) female readership, and the ladies like a bit of romance with their fantasy. (UF authors share a similar demographic.) As a man I have found it a difficult challenge to get my brain thinking in "female mode," but have had some success identifying with it, particularly Nalini Singh's Archangel's Viper, the most recent (#10) of her Guild Hunter series, where I gained a new appreciation of the romantic, teasing romance that developed throughout the novel. (Do not read this book until you have read #1-9!)

I continue to read mostly UF/URF, occasional thrillers (Kristen Orlando's "You Won't Know I'm Gone" (#2 in her Black Angel Chronicles series, which I finished last night), and still have to keep up with technology as long as I continue my online IT presence. (Gotta keep up with the open source software I run or add to my server.)

My best reading time is late evening when I tire of TV and have handled all the business and caught up online relationships, as an aid to relaxation prior to going to sleep. I enjoy reading in the dark and my iPad tablet is perfect for that. I can't read a tree book without a high intensity lamp over my shoulder. My strangest habit is that I often play music while reading, using my iPad 4 mini to control my whole house sound system. When my eyes get tired I turn off the tablet and let the music lull me to sleep.

And that my friends pretty much covers the subject of my relationship with books and reading.

ETA: I keep and have kept a complete reading bibliography or journal listing all books I've read, beginning Aug. 1990 (excluding online and some non-fic), author, title, series, 1-2 word poor/average/good/excellent rating, date completed. I began this posting it on one of my private Internet sites, to keep from reading the same book twice, and now continue the list as a form of OCD (j/k) and as a resource to track my favorite authors and know which I need to catch up on. I'll use it tonight to locate tonight's read. That's another reason I like ebooks, find a book at an online library, be reading it 60 seconds later.
Cool! Do any of the books I listed on the Kindle interest you? Have you read any of them? I'm thinking a couple you may have, just curious.

I was an early bookworm, too, which is pretty certain the reason I got into the school I got into. I mentioned Stendhal _The Red and the Black_ on my application form.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_and_the_Black

Old 05-18-2018, 05:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
QUESTIONS:
2-3 books a month over the past 2 years. Previous years I read more but it has been tough lately

Important. Reading is a good way to learn and relax.

Sort of. Mostly short content. I rarely read a work oriented book though.

Yes, 90% of the time.

For pleasure, entertainment and curiousity.

More fiction than non-fiction. I made a goal to read more non-fiction and it is around 40% of my reasons now. I read mostly mysteries and ocassional pop culture chick-“it (I.e. Crazy Rich Asians). For non-fiction I’ll read about food, politics, sports, pop culture, sociology, ocassional history, economics and just a lot of random topics. I am reading Fordlandoa right now. I read a book about the history of Salt and I have read a bunch of books about technology in Wall Street these days.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Cool! Do any of the books I listed on the Kindle interest you? Have you read any of them? I'm thinking a couple you may have, just curious.

I was an early bookworm, too, which is pretty certain the reason I got into the school I got into. I mentioned Stendhal _The Red and the Black_ on my application form.
That was a pretty big quote!

I don't know what "listed on the Kindle" means. I am a member of all the local and regional public libraries. I lived in Santa Fe NM so I have an account there, and I own property in Phoenix so I have an account there too. Phoenix has a really good library, as does Los Angels City, LA County and Santa Clarita. I get most of my novels from these libraries.

Kindle Unlimited costs $10/month, too much for me.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That was a pretty big quote!

I don't know what "listed on the Kindle" means. I am a member of all the local and regional public libraries. I lived in Santa Fe NM so I have an account there, and I own property in Phoenix so I have an account there too. Phoenix has a really good library, as does Los Angels City, LA County and Santa Clarita. I get most of my novels from these libraries.

Kindle Unlimited costs $10/month, too much for me.
I am referring you to the list of books in post #5 of this thread:

Reading habits (Buffett, Musk)

Kindle Unlimited has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books