Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the idea of other programs.

What I do mind is the whittling down of the actual books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I mind the way they are now they could at least put them in the meeting room and have a door that shuts. I like a quiet library not one full of kidos running around and screaming and these are children old enough to know about the library being a quiet place .

Old 10-22-2018, 07:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't mind the idea of other programs.

What I do mind is the whittling down of the actual books.
Well, one has to "whittle down" actual books to make room for the bazillions of computer workstations in the Internet cafe as well as the ginormous (usually a full floor) children's room which is more for playing than reading as well as community meeting rooms for this and that and increasingly, in our own town library, political activism reflecting the left-leaning views of the local "Friends of the Library." And why not if no one reads anymore? The red movie box, however, always has a long line! Pretty sure that feature is safe.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, one has to "whittle down" actual books to make room for the bazillions of computer workstations in the Internet cafe as well as the ginormous (usually a full floor) children's room which is more for playing than reading as well as community meeting rooms for this and that and increasingly, in our own town library, political activism reflecting the left-leaning views of the local "Friends of the Library." And why not if no one reads anymore? The red movie box, however, always has a long line! Pretty sure that feature is safe.
Why do you assume "no one reads anymore" - gosh just try to get on the waitlist for popular books. People can and do enjoy a variety of activities including reading AND film, as well as internet (after all, here you are) for both fun and research. People who read tend to be people who like to expand their horizons - reading is only one way to do that.

Meetings are by reservation and available to anyone, not just "left leaning".

This sounds like a "get off my lawn" rant.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why do you assume "no one reads anymore" - gosh just try to get on the waitlist for popular books. People can and do enjoy a variety of activities including reading AND film, as well as internet (after all, here you are) for both fun and research. People who read tend to be people who like to expand their horizons - reading is only one way to do that.

Meetings are by reservation and available to anyone, not just "left leaning".

This sounds like a "get off my lawn" rant.
Statistically, many fewer people read today than in the past due to competing "entertainment" and means of gathering information; I don't think that can be disputed.

And I refer to library-sponsored community events; not private meetings.

Now, get off my lawn!

Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Statistically, many fewer people read today than in the past due to competing "entertainment" and means of gathering information; I don't think that can be disputed.

And I refer to library-sponsored community events; not private meetings.

Now, get off my lawn!
Well, there are a larger variety of ways to obtain information (including the internet) - and a larger variety of ways even to read for pleasure. Libraries have ebooks and books on "tape" etc to reach a larger number of readers. It doesn't mean fewer books are available - they might just take up less room than previously. That space can be utilized in a variety of ways.

I haven't seen my library hosting taxpayer subsidized political activism. Can you provide an example of that?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 PM

Mine recently hosted "Meet the Candidates." For whatever reason, they were all of one persuasion (that, and there's no mistaking it, of the president of our FOL association). Now, in perfect synch with the Mexican march, we're having Latin Culture Appreciation Day. And so it goes... Snacks are always provided. I doubt if anyone's paying that out of pocket...

I realize libraries are for education, but... Re-education?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:
Actually, no. I've seen libraries that whittle down the books, even when the computer space or children's space remains the same. I can't tell you how angry it makes me just to see empty shelves.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:36 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Mine recently hosted "Meet the Candidates." For whatever reason, they were all of one persuasion (that, and there's no mistaking it, of the president of our FOL association). Now, in perfect synch with the Mexican march, we're having Latin Culture Appreciation Day. And so it goes... Snacks are always provided. I doubt if anyone's paying that out of pocket...

I realize libraries are for education, but... Re-education?
Are you involved with the Friends of the Libraries group? Have you voiced your concerns to the librarians?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:03 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, they must adapt...

but I fear one day the book itself will disappear and we all will be left with computers, tablets etc. nothing
paperbound.
Ten years ago, I would have said maybe this was a cause for concern, but I don't believe so anymore.

We have an onslaught of technology, and although magazines are dying, people still love physical books. They love the smell of books, the feel of books, the sensation of turing a page, the anticipation they get when they open a book, and the satisfaction they get when they close it for the last time. Real books can be shared and displayed and taken places where it is not practical to take an electronic device. (In the bathtub or the beach, for example).

People also love book stores!!

The one thing I do love, is how the "iPod" has made audio books much more approachable and personal. Audio books are a huge part of my life--but even so I still have physical books, such as cookbooks, gardening books, and novels I find on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books